Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1080 application types

1080 application types

Hi

Im looking at taking the rifle for a walk into some new country this weekend. The area has recently had 1080 laid. The DOC pesticide site says its been "1080 handlaid". Does anyone know what this means exactly?.

Cheers

Ring who ever put the sign up, they will be able to answer your question 100%

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I think you are good to go hunting

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It means people walked along with a big tramping pack stuffed with 1080 pellets and hand threw it into the undergrowth.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    More likely, that there is a grid of bait-stations through the boosh that were pre-fed, then dosed with "1080", and that it will be fed for a few weeks and any remaining baits removed aftewards.
    I have exactly no issue with this. Mostly target species and fuckall bykill.

Aerial 1080 can go and get right fucked though.
    You are wrong.

1080 in bait stations kills rays and possums. The carcasses will then become reservoirs for 1080 poison and thus kill scavengers like insects and hawks and weka, gulls and dogs. Any bait spilled from bait stations by feeding critters is still available to deer , pigs and all the rest. The worst thing about bait stations is the long length of time baits and poisoned carcasses, spill etc are available. I.E. months.
    In other words, its bad news all round, unlike broadcast in the open which has a lesser 6 month danger period.
    Feet on the ground with traps is the most responsible alternative.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

If the bait is in stations it will be stated that on the warning signs. If it is hand broadcast that will be stated. It could be paste laid in trees, called tree baiting ( not sure if this is still done) Best bet ring the people who laid the poison and ask them straight up. It should be ok to hunt but still check and make your decision based on the facts.