Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 1080/How long after the drop till its worthwhile hunting?

1080/How long after the drop till its worthwhile hunting?

I had a scout of a new (to me) DOC area and saw it had been 1080'd back in August. What's everyone's opinions on how long it will take to be worth hunting there? The sign reckoned 6 months for safety but I'd hate to waste time taking the rifle for a walk in a barren area.

Take the rifle for a stroll and find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 months to be safe the are still a lot of baits hung up in the trees waiting for the next wind gust to come thru . Are you safe with a 2km buffer zone once the poison has been laid , NO . Deer once poisoned can walk up to 10 outside the drop zone .

Your life is important to you and others . Advise only .
    Steve123 likes this.

me and the young guy I hunt with did a hunt a few months after a drop..... I told him treat it as a training exercise , hone the stalking skills don't shoot anything unless its shaking and looks like its dying a slow and painful death...... saw a few they looked healthy left them hoping they would still be walking around for future hunts
    Scouser, madmaori and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Take the rifle for a stroll and find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Deer by-kill is so variable that this is really the only way to find out....
    LittleDave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kawekakid View Post
    12 months to be safe the are still a lot of baits hung up in the trees waiting for the next wind gust to come thru . Are you safe with a 2km buffer zone once the poison has been laid , NO . Deer once poisoned can walk up to 10 outside the drop zone .

Your life is important to you and others . Advise only .
    12 months is nonsense. After a couple of heavy rains and good winds there going to be no baits up trees or lying around esp after a couple of months. I hunt 1080 areas on a regular basis as the DOC land around here gets hammerd. I have never seen one bait yet after 3 months of a drop and deer don't take well to 1080, abit like a dog and if its been a while and you see a deer walking around looking heathly its fine to shoot.
    Even iin the unlikely event it ate some posion and didn't die its not going to posion you if you eating the meat. Some of the best hunting is after a 1080 drop when no ones been there for 3 or 4 months.
    It might kill some deer but a lot of areas theress still going to be a deer or two around to hunt.
    If its been AUG get out there and get into it. Hunting with dogs is a different matter, but with a rifle 3-4 months and you certainly good to go but for the guys that wait 12 months its great...more hunting for you and me lol Doc advise 4 months on the warnings around here and they are being over cautious so 3-4 months its a go!
    Last edited by deer243; 16-11-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    Steve123 and LittleDave like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    12 months is nonsense. After a couple of heavy rains and good winds there going to be no baits up trees or lying around esp after a couple of months. I hunt 1080 areas on a regular basis as the DOC land around here gets hammerd. I have never seen one bait yet after 3 months of a drop and deer don't take well to 1080, abit like a dog and if its been a while and you see a deer walking around looking heathly its fine to shoot.
    Even iin the unlikely event it ate some posion and didn't die its not going to posion you if you eating the meat. Some of the best hunting is after a 1080 drop when no ones been there for 3 or 4 months.
    It might kill some deer but a lot of areas theress still going to be a deer or two around to hunt.
    If its been AUG get out there and get into it. Hunting with dogs is a different matter, but with a rifle 3-4 months and you certainly good to go but for the guys that wait 12 months its great...more hunting for you and me lol Doc advise 4 months on the warnings around here and they are being over cautious so 3-4 months its a go!
    It had Aug-start of march on the sign so next time we're headed that way I'll take a rifle with me

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Deer by-kill is so variable that this is really the only way to find out....
    Agreed, but here is the other thing: do you enjoy getting out hunting or not? Even if you don't shoot anything, the hunt is surely better than sitting at home getting nagged? If not, then you should re-think your choice of past time....

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Agreed, but here is the other thing: do you enjoy getting out hunting or not? Even if you don't shoot anything, the hunt is surely better than sitting at home getting nagged? If not, then you should re-think your choice of past time....
    I enjoy the hunting but since I have to drive a few hours to get there and don't have much spare time right now I want it to go well. Plenty of opportunity for small game round home but nothing larger.
    deer243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    I enjoy the hunting but since I have to drive a few hours to get there and don't have much spare time right now I want it to go well. Plenty of opportunity for small game round home but nothing larger.
    Yeah, take the rifle and go have a look. Some areas that's been done still have good numbers, some havnt. Always check the 1080 signs too to see if its aerial or ground laid in bait stations. One block ii went into last year had 1080 signs up, always thought it was aerial and I wait a couple more months. When looking harder at the sign I saw it said 1080 laid in bait stations and it wasn't aerial dropped at all.
    Went in there 2 weeks later and saw 7 deer, most ive seen in one day in that block and got a easy deer. It was quite clear that for a few weeks it looked like it had no hunting pressure, as apart from heaps of deer sign there were pigs and a couple of mobs of goats around as well. Only deer I got out of there thou as they just seemed to disappear again on further trips in and boot marks from fellow hunters started to show up
    Steve123 likes this.

I don't have a lot of time either and any hunting is a minimum of 3 hour drive for me..... but I consider any hunt has gone well as soon as I lose cellphone coverage. going this weekend (first chance in 3 months and last chance before Christmas...) looks like it will be wet .....but I will give it a nudge. point is 1080 drop, bad weather, long drive to get there or whatever theres more to the hunt than harvesting some meat..... well for me anyway
    Boaraxa and Steve123 like this.

Usually the authorities (such as EPA and the HSNO Act and Medical officers of Health) require notices to be placed that warn of a caution period of 6 months. They do not issue these warnings BY LAW for no reason. As an example, , there have been export shipments of venison that have been compulsorily turned about and returned to NZ and the shipments destroyed because of the possibility that deer were sourced within several kilometres outside of 1080 poisoned boundaries. Anyone who takes the risks this poison can pose lightly, is blatantly ignoring the clear warnings set out by the authorities and potentially putting their health in danger. best to look for an area to hunt which is clear of the poison.
    Hunt4life likes this.

1080/How long after the drop till its worthwhile hunting?

I wonder what the long term effects are going to be for us health wise. It's Scary.

Probably safer eating processed shit.
    Hunt4life and Boaraxa like this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I wonder what the long term effects are going to be for us health wise. It's Scary.

Probably safer eating processed shit.
    Nah, 1080'd critters still rot. Even bacteria won't eat shit from McDonalds
    Danny likes this.

Nah, 1080'd critters still rot. Even bacteria won't eat shit from McDonalds
    yup mcdonalds is probably responsible for more human fatalities than 1080 ...........
    deer243 and Steve123 like this.