Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 1st NZ outing preparation- Load list check

1st NZ outing preparation- Load list check

Well,

I've been in NZ for two weeks now and have already started the hill climbs to get prepared for my first outing in the Ruahine Ranges. Ive learnt two things already since arriving here; 1) NZ is bloody hilly. It makes the up and downs of my home ranges in Australia seem flat. 2) I am nowhere near as fit as I thought I was. I can fix that, but in the interim I will make sure I carry what is needed and no more on my first outing.

So with that in mind I thought that I may seek the forums advice on what I should pack for a hut accommodated overnighter in the Ruahine Range this time of year. My current list is as follows:

1) Kuiu Icon 5300 pack.
    2) First aid kit (standard issue with added space blankets and bandages);
    3) Softy -5 sleeping bag;
    4) 2 meat bags- two large cotton pillow cases actually. Seem to ok back home.
    5) Army issue Fly / Hootchie. Just in case I need shelter or the hut is full.
    6) Jetboil 1ltr with canister. Associates tea/coffee and condiments inside.
    7) 6ltr of water and 2ltr bladder with mouthpiece.
    8) Puritabs. I haven't bought a steri-stick yet.
    9) Bushnell Arc 1600 binoculars (in chest harness and case)
    10) dry set of hunting clothes and socks.
    11) hunters blaze orange pack cover and hat.
    12) Remington 700 7mm practical light rifle.
    13) Toilet paper and small digging spade
    14) 4 Back country cuisine freeze dried meals.
    15) Personal location beacon
    16) Digital and hard copy maps.
    17) Full wet weather gear and cold weather layer system.

That's about all I am planning right now. I'm planning on packing the rifle until I reach the hut and heading out from there.

Are there any other recommendations you may have for an overnighter or am I packing too much in your experience?

I have yet to weight it, but I'm hoping to come in around 26kg with this.

Good hunting,

Falvs
    Tango likes this.

Get rid off the 6lt of water, no point lugging that around when ull be surrounded by it.
    Shearer, norsk and Falvs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Get rid off the 6lt of water, no point lugging that around when ull be surrounded by it.
    Thanks mate. Will do.

I would also consider carrying rifle in hand, just in case you walk into a deer on the way in.
    Falvs likes this.

Quite heavy for an over nighter.
    That's a lot of water. Most of the huts have water at them so you just need enough for the walk in - 2 litres max for me.

My spare clothing for one night is just a dry set of thermals. Wet weather gear is a decent gortex type coat. Remember some sort of hat.

For an over nighter from noon-ish to later the next day I just take one freeze dry meal (the 2 servings pack), 1x instant noodles and 1x instant porridge. Tea bags. A few nibbles. Sometimes I carry a Macs Cheese burger in too. I leave a thermos and a snack in the car for my return, and some dry clothes.

Last time I was in the Ruahines for a night a couple of weeks ago my pack weighed 11 kg, including tent.
    Last edited by Tahr; 30-01-2017 at 09:00 PM.
    GWH and Falvs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I would also consider carrying rifle in hand, just in case you walk into a deer on the way in.
    It was something I wasn't too sure about. I'll give it a second thought.

Thanks again.

Falvs

You are taking way to much gear imo but if your not confident then probably not to bad. Check and learn to read the weather forecastt, at this time of the year you really cant go to far wrong. I try to be around 10kg for a weekend hunt and that includes a tent... add another 2.5kg for my rifle...

i would take 1 litre of water maximum, you can always find water in my experience, i dont drink much tho.

You dont need a digging spade.

You dont need a full set of spare clothes realistically maybe just a jersey or something (i would be wearing merino thermals anyway) I toook one set of spare clothes on a 10 day hunt in fiordland

number 17 looks heavy unless you are puroly going out in the rain? I would take a light shell maybe.. you are going to hut.

Substitute some back countrys for just snacks. Have a big feed before you go in, have a big feed when you come out.

Without knowing where you are hunting i would say you have way to much gear.

Only you know how comfortable you want to be and I wouldnt recommend going out with less than your comfortable with. Maybe just make an effort to think when you get back from your hunt on what you actually used and what you can sacrifice next tme
    Falvs likes this.

Thanks Tahr,

That puts my cautiousness into perspective. Ill re-work the list for a lighter kit out.

Better to learn here than on the mountain.

Cheers,

Falvs
    Dead is better likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Falvs View Post
    Thanks Tahr,

That puts my cautiousness into perspective. Ill re-work the list for a lighter kit out.

Better to learn here than on the mountain.

Cheers,

Falvs
    Cheers. Ive added to my post (above).
    Falvs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    You are taking way to much gear imo but if your not confident then probably not to bad. Check and learn to read the weather forecastt, at this time of the year you really cant go to far wrong. I try to be around 10kg for a weekend hunt and that includes a tent... add another 2.5kg for my rifle...

i would take 1 litre of water maximum, you can always find water in my experience, i dont drink much tho.

You dont need a digging spade.

You dont need a full set of spare clothes realistically maybe just a jersey or something (i would be wearing merino thermals anyway) I toook one set of spare clothes on a 10 day hunt in fiordland

number 17 looks heavy unless you are puroly going out in the rain? I would take a light shell maybe.. you are going to hut.

Substitute some back countrys for just snacks. Have a big feed before you go in, have a big feed when you come out.

Without knowing where you are hunting i would say you have way to much gear.

Only you know how comfortable you want to be and I wouldnt recommend going out with less than your comfortable with. Maybe just make an effort to think when you get back from your hunt on what you actually used and what you can sacrifice next tme
    Thanks Perazzi,

I am still learning the weather here. I have headed out on winter hunts back home with about half this kit and been alright.

I think I'll do a couple of day trips with a reduced load out and then work from there.

Advice appreciated. Just look for me, I'll be the one with a caravan on my back.

Cheers,

Falvs

Quote Originally Posted by Falvs View Post
    Thanks Perazzi,

I am still learning the weather here. I have headed out on winter hunts back home with about half this kit and been alright.

I think I'll do a couple of day trips with a reduced load out and then work from there.

Advice appreciated. Just look for me, I'll be the one with a caravan on my back.

Cheers,

Falvs
    PM me once you have chosen where in the Ruahines you are going. I'm happy to give you some pointers on how to hunt it. I know the Ruahines a bit.
    Pointer and Pengy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I know the Ruahines a bit.
    A slight understatement

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    PM me once you have chosen where in the Ruahines you are going. I'm happy to give you some pointers on how to hunt it. I know the Ruahines a bit.
    Thanks Tahr,

Appreciate the help. I'm sure I'm being over cautious.

Falvs

Don't forget a knife & headlamp.

Food for a overnight, some snacks for the walk in & out (OSM bar, mixed nuts,etc) a 2 serve back country for dinner, couple of instant porridge sachets or muesli for breaky, I like a piece of fruit each day, some crackers, cheese, salami for lunch. tea/coffee
    Dead is better and Falvs like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Can't be to careful, enjoy your trip.
    Falvs likes this.