Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 2 wheel motorbike hunting with dog

2 wheel motorbike hunting with dog

Hey team,

Anyone doing the above? I have just brought a CRF230F and have a few ideas of what I want to do but keen to see pics of what set ups people have.

Cheers

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    Shearer likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

well my heading dog would sit on my fuel tank...other fellas have dog behind them.... I prefered infront as could hang onto him,and it kept me a bit warmer on cold day.
    rugerman, HNTMAD, BSA270 and 1 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well my heading dog would sit on my fuel tank...other fellas have dog behind them.... I prefered infront as could hang onto him,and it kept me a bit warmer on cold day.
    My mate does same....not sure my vizsla would cope lol

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

maybe a small caged trailer would be safer then.....I can picture a cat running across road in front of you and brown ball of energy leaping off in pursuit.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Lol

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Once you're gone tits up piggy backing out the donk and the pillion kuri in this winter's mud,then dropped the white hot exhaust pinned under the Honda as it scalds 2nd degree burn to your thigh recon you,ll give it away as a prick of an idea.Theres a bloody good reason wy savvy hunters use quads.Hell even the donks come in 4 wheels.Dont go there

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    Once you're gone tits up piggy backing out the donk and the pillion kuri in this winter's mud,then dropped the white hot exhaust pinned under the Honda as it scalds 2nd degree burn to your thigh recon you,ll give it away as a prick of an idea.Theres a bloody good reason wy savvy hunters use quads.Hell even the donks come in 4 wheels.Dont go there
    Lol

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Summer time i prefer to hunt on the the 230 on the farm, it just means the dog runs which is not good. Day pack and leave rifle in gun bag. The real shit spots i take gun off
    So no real setup Hamish.
    Tried a bigger ply and mat on rear carrier for dog but it was a pain in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Summer time i prefer to hunt on the the 230 on the farm, it just means the dog runs which is not good. Day pack and leave rifle in gun bag. The real shit spots i take gun off
    So no real setup Hamish.
    Tried a bigger ply and mat on rear carrier for dog but it was a pain in the arse.
    Cheers mate....yeah I'm happy for her to run also
    ...she will get fit to it....but being able.to offer my mate a ride is also important

Micky Duck likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

This thread has a few pics of bike carriers for vehicles:

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....wheeler-75578/

I can't find a thread where I laid out what you need to do to your bike to make it 'hunting compliant', so I'll rattle off a few of the more important things:

2 wheels have their place. But a quad can carry much much more, far easier.

The two wheeler wins when the going gets too steep/tough/unsafe for a 4 wheeler. But you will need to be travelling superlight if you intend to bring venison back out, as its going to be on your back. Or backend stropped down across the fuel tank, hocks tied down to the frame in front of the engine.

If you are going to access hunting land across paddocks, or farm/forestry tracks then leave the gearing standard. But if you hunt the sorts of places I go you may want to lower the gearing. I run 12/53, which anyone who knows bikes will know that's pretty low. As in 70kph flat out in a 6 speed, 45 horsepower bike.

Then there's traction. If you can't spend the money to have a decent tyre on the back, get stuck into the front edges of the knobbies with a 125mm angle grinder and a parting off wheel (oh and the one decent use of a surgical mask, use here to stop inhaling a mist of burnt rubber particles!!

Traction is everything on a 2 wheeler when getting in and out of hunting country. So make sure you have a good rim lock, or go the tubliss way for ultimate traction.

If its a jap bike, they are still stuck in the 19th century for clutch operation, so make sure you regularly lube the clutch cable.

For tracks and paddocks, farm bike suspension is fine. If you intend to go to nasty terrain, an enduro bike with 300mm of suspension travel is what you need.

Don't head bush without some basic tools. Puncture repair, spark plug replacement and wheels on wheels off sort of tools.

See you in the bush!

Name:  Azim gorge.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  146.9 KB
    7mmsaum, Shearer, HNTMAD and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    This thread has a few pics of bike carriers for vehicles:

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....wheeler-75578/

I can't find a thread where I laid out what you need to do to your bike to make it 'hunting compliant', so I'll rattle off a few of the more important things:

2 wheels have their place. But a quad can carry much much more, far easier.

The two wheeler wins when the going gets too steep/tough/unsafe for a 4 wheeler. But you will need to be travelling superlight if you intend to bring venison back out, as its going to be on your back. Or backend stropped down across the fuel tank, hocks tied down to the frame in front of the engine.

If you are going to access hunting land across paddocks, or farm/forestry tracks then leave the gearing standard. But if you hunt the sorts of places I go you may want to lower the gearing. I run 12/53, which anyone who knows bikes will know that's pretty low. As in 70kph flat out in a 6 speed, 45 horsepower bike.

Then there's traction. If you can't spend the money to have a decent tyre on the back, get stuck into the front edges of the knobbies with a 125mm angle grinder and a parting off wheel (oh and the one decent use of a surgical mask, use here to stop inhaling a mist of burnt rubber particles!!

Traction is everything on a 2 wheeler when getting in and out of hunting country. So make sure you have a good rim lock, or go the tubliss way for ultimate traction.

If its a jap bike, they are still stuck in the 19th century for clutch operation, so make sure you regularly lube the clutch cable.

For tracks and paddocks, farm bike suspension is fine. If you intend to go to nasty terrain, an enduro bike with 300mm of suspension travel is what you need.

Don't head bush without some basic tools. Puncture repair, spark plug replacement and wheels on wheels off sort of tools.

See you in the bush!

Attachment 203608
    Mean, cheers mate

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

There's steep, and then there's "I'm glad we're not on a quad" steep

Name:  Steep stuff.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  267.3 KB
    Dama dama and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    There's steep, and then there's "I'm glad we're not on a quad" steep

Attachment 203610
    Heka

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Hey team,

Anyone doing the above? I have just brought a CRF230F and have a few ideas of what I want to do but keen to see pics of what set ups people have.

Cheers

Hamish

Hamish I have the crf250f as my daily farm bike, obviously when taking all the dogs the side buy side wins all day, but the 2 wheeler wins for the go 2, my heading dog just jumps up on the tank, once your moving with your feet on the pegs its not really any different to normal, in saying that I've been riding 2 wheelers for 30 odd years both on farm and racing and take the kids everywhere on the front.
    We grew up with mud bugs the old man use to tow trailers around the hills behind the old Er185s with dead sheep in them
    They ran massive plywood carries on the back with 30mm altkathne around the edges for the dogs to sit on, the downside is when it goes wrong you want to be able to slide off the back without getting caught up buy a dog carrier which inevitably whacks you in the back of the thighs and the dogs legs end up in the spokes when it does go it wrong and that's not pretty.
    Hence I just teach them to ride on the front, not ideal but a safe way from a to b
    Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 11-08-2022 at 10:47 PM.
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Hamish I have the crf250f as my daily farm bike, obviously when taking all the dogs the side buy side wins all day, but the 2 wheeler wins for the go 2, my heading dog just jumps up on the tank once your moving with your legs on the pegs its not really any different to normal, in saying that I've been riding 2 wheelers for 30 odd years both on farm and racing and take the kids everywhere on the front.
    We grew up with mud bugs the old man use to tow trailers around the hills behind the old Er185s with dead sheep in them
    They ran massive plywood carries on the back with 30mm altkathne around the edges for the dogs to sit on, the downside is when it goes wrong you want to be able to slide of the back without getting caught up buy a dog carrier and the dogs legs end up the spokes when it does go it wrong and that's not pretty.
    Hence I just teach them to ride on the front, not ideal but a safe way from a to b
    Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Cheers mate....all helps that's for sure....

BRADS likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz