Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By 300winmag

Thread: 2014 NT Hunt Day 4 & 5

2014 NT Hunt Day 4 & 5

Day 4

Basically looking for a good size Buff to take, up early and away, saw plenty of Buff but not trophy material.
    About 10.30am we spotted this pig next to a Pandanas tree having a nana nap, dealt to it with the 375 and that was that. Humongous exit wound.

Name:  2014 NT Hunt 044.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  150.4 KB

Name:  2014 NT Hunt 046.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  247.0 KB

Spent the whole day looking for Buffs, would have seen over 100, some you could get to within 30 yards of before the decided it wasn't safe but you had to be wary because they could have charged you. Went to some areas that we hadn't been to before, saw a 2m freshy but sadly we couldn't have a swim.
    This lake was 1.4 km long and about 200m wide.

Name:  2014 NT Hunt 047.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  142.3 KB

We drove along the right side of the lake and at the end we came across a monster Buff out in the open, we stalked up to within 150 yards by which time he knew he was in for some lead so fucked off real smart. We carried on for 6 more hours, heaps of sign but lucked out so it was back to camp. We had covered nearly 100km and hadn't left the farm.

That night after dinner and sitting back relaxing the dogs started howling, they were close by so the 4 of us got the spotty's out and went for a drive. Drove up the airstrip paddock and along the fence line and came across 30 odd pigs having a feed on a dead cow. I shot 3 of the biggest pigs with the 300wm (Tikka) from about 50 yards, pigs running in all directions but no dogs to be had.

Name:  2014 NT Hunt 049.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  162.2 KB

Day 5

Early morning before sunrise we went to a bait station and nailed 3 large pigs feeding on a horse we had dropped off there a few days before.
    Went back to camp for breakfast then all 4 of us went out looking for a Buff, went to the same places as the day before, saw plenty but no wall hangers.

Next morning Matt took us for the 2 hour drive back to Katherine to catch the bus back to Darwin and the flight home.

River crossing on the Daly River

Name:  2014 NT Hunt 062.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  136.9 KB

I had a heap of fun and will be going back next year solely concentrating of the Buff hunting and not knocking over anything else until I get him
    puku, sako75, veitnamcam and 4 others like this.

Unfortunate about not getting the buff. But at least you've got an excuse to go back next year.
    Big pigs there

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

No night shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    No night shooting?
    The 3 I scored on the airstrip were around 11pm.

Usually you sit on a bait station at night, they have ladders up trees with a little platform with a seat. You can sit there for 2 or more hours.
    The pigs come in and feed on the Horse & Donkey carcasses, flick the spotty on and go bang bang bang, you cant miss. I didn't do that this time round, just walked in before sunrise and went bang bang bang. Sometimes you are that close it's scary, always wind the magnification down to the lowest power when on a bait station.

I have shot some big pigs at this place, never a dull moment.

The first year I went I shot over 30 hogs, 79 animals in total.

The place has about 10 bait stations that need to be topped up with shot animals.

Great read , does any of the meat get eaten ( human) ie young porkers , buffalo , horse etc . Does he have a chiller ? .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Great read , does any of the meat get eaten ( human) ie young porkers , buffalo , horse etc . Does he have a chiller ? .
    Hogs get dumped/eaten by other hogs, completes the never ending shooting cycle.
    Had Buff steak one night for dinner, it was slow cooked for a couple hours, not to bad.
    No chiller onsite, everything is just recycled to the hogs.

Sounds like a great trip, pity you didn't get a buff.