Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Stager BLK Cooee

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: 22 Creedmoor

Why use 270 when you can use 308? Or other pointless arguments

Quote Originally Posted by Sakoswarosorted View Post
    Why use 270 when you can use 308? Or other pointless arguments
    so NOW you see MY POINT....... it swings both ways.
    the 22 creedmore is not "deferent enough" from a 22-250 to make it the next big thing.... its not a huge deal better than a 243 either
    a heck of a lot of coin and fluffing around for bugger all real gain .

a .277 /08 is a great round and a few people use them and love them.....but its that close to a 7mm/08 that its pointless unless you REALLY want to throw your cash into something different to everyone else.
    I see this new fandangled 22 creedmore in same light.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

oh and I sold my .308 BECAUSE I already had a .270 and like you have said,why have one when can use the other for same job???the overlap was just too much to justify having both.

That was the joke… who cares if it’s not the next big thing or the most efficient or worth it to you? You sound old and grumpy lol
    199p, Dreamer and 300_BLK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so 5.5mm VS 6mm is so much different to 6mm Vs 6.5 mm

YOU saying a 5.5mm long skinny is way better than a 6mm,which can also go skinny if going heavier..so its only logical fatter again must be worse using your logic...

apples n apples
    my point is if you going to run a 80 grn projectile at 3200fps you can already do it cheaper with a heck of a lot less mucking around....and if NEED to stretch legs can simply switch load,again simply done 105grn...but yes no one asking me to run one...would be no point when already run a 223 and 22-250 that can do MOST everything one of these can do ,and can do it all if I get closer.
    if 224 with 55grn mono cant do job...time to use the .270
    Im saying in the same weight projectile it will have much better ballistic performance the bigger the bore the shorter fatter the projectile for same weight the worse it will be.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

so NOW you see MY POINT....... it swings both ways.
    the 22 creedmore is not "deferent enough" from a 22-250 to make it the next big thing.... its not a huge deal better than a 243 either
    a heck of a lot of coin and fluffing around for bugger all real gain .

a .277 /08 is a great round and a few people use them and love them.....but its that close to a 7mm/08 that its pointless unless you REALLY want to throw your cash into something different to everyone else.
    I see this new fandangled 22 creedmore in same light.
    If you're starting from a blank slate though, why 22-250 over 22 Creedmoor? Say I've decided I want a hot 22 centrefire, I've got a barrel blank and the gunsmith has reamers for both. Cost of the build is going to be the same. Dies and brass costs the same. Why would I pick the 22-250?

How long either has been around is of no interest to me. I don't care if one is a reinvention of the other or that they fill similar niches. Straighter walls and sharper shoulders sounds good to me from a reloading perspective because it means less trimming. Which do I pick?
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakoswarosorted View Post
    That was the joke… who cares if it’s not the next big thing or the most efficient or worth it to you? You sound old and grumpy lol
    I resemble that remark!!!!
    Phil_H and Sakoswarosorted like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Im saying in the same weight projectile it will have much better ballistic performance the bigger the bore the shorter fatter the projectile for same weight the worse it will be.
    yes I get that...but apples with apples wouldve been to compare .243 with a heavier slippery projectile too...
    I was being cheeky with the 6.5CM comment..... havent seen a 140grn .224grn projectile yet....it would have very high BC,be a bendy hua and want to tumble of break LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Never shed a tear in his life, but gets all emotional about a lump of lead and copper
    Stuck at home, getting cabin fever, need to chew on something
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    If you're starting from a blank slate though, why 22-250 over 22 Creedmoor? Say I've decided I want a hot 22 centrefire, I've got a barrel blank and the gunsmith has reamers for both. Cost of the build is going to be the same. Dies and brass costs the same. Why would I pick the 22-250?

How long either has been around is of no interest to me. I don't care if one is a reinvention of the other or that they fill similar niches. Straighter walls and sharper shoulders sounds good to me from a reloading perspective because it means less trimming. Which do I pick?
    dies are CHEAPER for 22-250 as will be brass...and if you starting off with factory loadings you will HAVE to go 22-250,there isnt on the shelf 22 CM
    but help yourself....less trimming my arse.....

It's personal choice in the end. I had a 270 sold it and got a 308 sold that when I got a 3006. I'm now seriously toying with the idea of a 220 swift or a 22/250, I had a 222 now have a 223, which does most of what those two will do but just want to see for myself if the extras worth the extra so to speak.
    Good thing is ammunition is off the shelf, so I don't have to outlay big to start with.
    Being mainstream cartridges they have greater resale potential and I'm less likely to take a bath than with something more esoteric.
    That said I'd love one in a no 1 ruger that might affect resale options.
    It's a hobby after all and some people have weirder hobbies than oddball wildcats. Golf for instance.

dies are CHEAPER for 22-250 as will be brass...and if you starting off with factory loadings you will HAVE to go 22-250,there isnt on the shelf 22 CM
    but help yourself....less trimming my arse.....
    Nope - there will be bugger all in it, if buying similar quality components.

Don't care about factory ammo since I'm rolling my own.

The shallower the shoulders and the greater the taper, the less the case resists stretching less when firing and sizing Micky.

So why 22-250 and why not the Creampuff?
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

partial length resize and its not an issue....

I don't use them for hunting but I've found Creedmoor cartridges to be good for long range target shooting on a budget because I can take an old 308 target rifle and rebarrel it in some flavour of creedmoor without having to do any modification to the bolt or action. It seems like the trend for target shooting is to keep necking down to a smaller and smaller caliber using a large short action base cartridge. Shooting a smaller projectile at a higher velocity will shorten barrell life but over the lifetime of that barrel with today's cost of projectiles... I currently have a 6mm creedmoor converted from an old f class target rifle and I don't understand why more people don't do this. It's great. I'd consider going to 22 Creedmoor if I was doing it all over.

One thing I wouldn't do again is drill and tap the action myself but that's another story.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

Have a 22 Creedmore, Tikka action, 20" Barlein 1:7 barrel. Long story short, waited ages for a 1:8 twist Factory Tikka 22.250 on order never turn up. Then decided to custom build 22.250 for heavies, then thought same cost and better performance may as well try a 22 Creed. Have a 22.250, and a 22 Creedmore is a step up, bit like comparing 223 to 22.250. 88 Eldms doing, 3200-3300 with RL 26, 20" barrel is pretty handy.

Had a problem develop that sent me down a rabbit hole and while to figure out? Started getting a carbon ring so wouldn't hold node, pressure and all that.... Apparently this can happen especially using a suppressor with RL 26. Changed powder for now and got a few loads that need fine tuning with 2209 and 4831sc going a bit slower doesn't develop the carbon problem.

Been busy doing other stuff and need to get fine tuned
    Think it's going to be an awesome calibre for NZ conditions fallow, goats. You can buy brass or make from 6mm or 6.5mm.

I'm also a big fan of 22.250 as well, but lack of fast twist lightweight factory rifles as considered varmint round in the States hinders it.
    Tahr, 199p, Moa Hunter and 2 others like this.