Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Strummer
  • 3 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By canross

Thread: .22 Takedown - is it worth it?

.22 Takedown - is it worth it?

Hi team,
    Looking at a .22 for bunny control at a mates farm. There's a fair amount of them so a semi-auto is the only option I'm considering.
    Love the Rugers, brother has a S/S Synth. that doesn't miss a beat, comfortable, easy etc..

Question is... does the takedown version work as well? I know there's a clip around the barrel and stock, does this get in the way?
    Are there issues of it losing zero?
    I like the idea of throwing it in a pack + taking up less space in the vehicle.

Thanks in advance

How light and small do you want to go? :-)

https://www.packrifle.com/
    Low box likes this.

MB
    A standard 22LR rifle with a 15 inch or even shorter barrel is a pretty small package anyway. Obviously, it won't fit in a backpack, but can be tucked away in a car boot quite easily.
    mudgripz, Mr300WSM and Jukes like this.

Are those Semi auto 10 shot?
    It needs to be comfortable enough for a few hours popping wabbits - in my experience the Ruger is very comfortable, just wanting to know more about the breakdown aspect.

Also, are those IN NZ? Because going down the rabbit hole of importing is not something I'd consider..

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    A standard 22LR rifle with a 15 inch or even shorter barrel is a pretty small package anyway. Obviously, it won't fit in a backpack, but can be tucked away in a car boot quite easily.
    +1 for this if you going to a farm in a car what is there to worry about. You are making it sound like you want something you can conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr300WSM View Post
    +1 for this if you going to a farm in a car what is there to worry about. You are making it sound like you want something you can conceal.
    Understandable given today's anti-firearms climate.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

$425USD and you need to get one here, oof.

That said if I could I would

Looks like a single shot from the video. Action rotates to open and expose chamber, rounds fed in and extracted manually.

very cool. Anyone know if it would be legal here? Thinking the removable stock/length might be an issue?

The takedown 10/22s will return to zero if the process is consistent - consistent tension, method, handling etc. They aren't intrinsically going to return to zero like some taper and torque setups, but if the user is deliberate about it they do. Takedown is a nice feature when there's a reason for it - IE motorcycle or bicycle travel, general storage, multiple barrels etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Low box View Post
    very cool. Anyone know if it would be legal here? Thinking the removable stock/length might be an issue?
    Seeing as pretty much all guns will function with their stock removed, whether or not you can remove the stock and make it under length is somewhat irrelevant. The fact that you would need to use tools to do so makes it doubly so. The design breaks apart at the barrel/receiver junction, so using it as intended also negates that.

All that said, the police are in the habit of taking the most restrictive view possible on these things, so a dab of permanent loctite would solve the question permanently.
    Jukes likes this.