Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 270 Factory ammo suggestions

270 Factory ammo suggestions

Right time for some collective input.
    A friend has just brought a 270 after being out of hunting for 30 years. With it he got a box of Federal 130 gr soft point (blue box I assume).
    I put him on to a friendly farmer with an excess of deer where he and his son were able to get some meat to take home.
    The concern he had was the lack of damage done by the bullet.
    at about 90 mtr on a red hind the bullet appeared to just pass clean through. broken rib each side and obviously a hole through the lung etc but no major damage and small exit hole.
    Knowing it was a good hit he waited 5 minutes then went looking, She went about 100 mtr before falling over.

What alternative 270 factory ammo can people suggest.
    Most hunting for now is typical small bodied North island deer and goats.
    Something that comes with a soft bullet that will but them down.
    Not so focused on the smashing a shoulder and then passing through.
    Z

Banned
    For meat size pigs and deer you cannot go past the 130 grn Winchester Powerpoint. Shoot behind the front leg or neck. I have shot more than 500 pigs with these before I started reloading and they are the best general purpose factory load IMO. Dont get any of the tipped bullets
    ZQLewis, csmiffy and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    For meat size pigs and deer you cannot go past the 130 grn Winchester Powerpoint. Shoot behind the front leg or neck. I have shot more than 500 pigs with these before I started reloading and they are the best general purpose factory load IMO. Dont get any of the tipped bullets
    Second this.

The cheaper the better really, shot some deer and goats with some Remington Core-Lokt I had in the back of the safe, great results.

130 grain soft points loaded hot seem to work!

Try some Hornady Whitetail too - whatever proves most accurate would be my choice

dont know how many times Ive typed these very words over the years.....take out the front wheels and deer is going NOWHERE.
    IF your mate had shifted aim forwards into shoulder itself the deer wouldve fallen over....that said Ive shit 2 big red hinds ats 300-350 yards with bog std 140grn interlocts and went in same place as your buddy,but posibly closer to leg bones,one went 20 yards the other 40-50 yards.....over 30plus years of using 270 with many different loads the ONLY times deer have moved more than 10 yards is when I failed to break shoulder or shoulders.
    Ive killed deer with load he using no issues...rem corelocts no issues...norma no issues winchester no issues,the new ballistic tip version will be fine but not so flash on big deer up close.....
    the softest factory ammo was the older PMC ....not sure if new stuff is the same,the older stuff the projectiles LOOKED bigger....must have been less dense.
    mate used the 130grn whitetail to tackle all manner of game without issue.

You want the softer 130s. Sierra are probably the softest particularly the boat tails, then Winchester PP and Hornady Spire points, Rem Corelokts are a bit more heavily constructed but work well.

Any of the cup and core bullets will work but I think what MD said is good advice , break the shoulders. I have used the 270 on and off since the 70s and have found that if the shoulders arent broken the deer still do run a bit, not far as a rule maybe 20-30 m but once shoulders a wreaked they don't go far if at all if anywhere.
    I have noticed over the years after I started using the 30 06 that the deer dropped better than with the 270 especaily when using the 180 gr bullet. The 270 is an excellent caliber and will serve its owners well for many years to come.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

TLB
    For cheap bullets the Remington corelokt always used to do me well. For ammo that makes a decent hole, if the rifle will shoot it, the winchester ballistic silvertips (just a glorified nosler ballistic tip) work bloody well too. Shot reds and Sika from 8 yards out to 520 yards.
    Tried at least a dozen different projectiles out of the .270 over the years and to be honest many work in a similar fashion.
    The 130gr superformance Hornady ssts shoot nice and flat and hit pretty hard too.
    caberslash likes this.

270's are dumb
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Can't go past Remington Core Lokt. It's ugly but hell it works and groups well too. If you're not worried about spending a little more get him onto the Sako Gamehead or Gamehead Pro. Both great, Gamehead is SP Pro is BP (Soft and Balistic point).
    Remington is $50-$60 per 20 rounds Sako is $70-$80.
    But I second and third the above....hit the damn thing in the shoulder not the ribs!
    Gerbs, Micky Duck, Louie and 1 others like this.

I second the core-lokt. (or fourth them, apparently)
    Good results in my old 270, good results in the 308.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    270's are dumb
    csmiffy likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    270's are dumb
    Name:  Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 07.47.53.png
Views: 647
Size:  4.2 KB

Banned
    If you want them to drop on the spot and not be over or under killed use 130 gr power points. Winchester doesn't make them available to reloaders to compare with pet loads like Hornady does, but trust me 130 Powerpoints ( Not 150's) are 'Mother Bears porridge to hunters' 'Just Right' whereas Hornadys are too soft like Baby Bear and Corelokts are too hard like Father Bear

My mate bought a 270 he tried a few different boxes of factory ammo and wasn’t happy. I got him a box of Winchester deer season 130gr (I think that’s the pp) and he has never looked back accurate and deadly.
    Not as deadly as the 300WSM but deadly enough
    Moa Hunter likes this.