Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By tikka
  • 1 Post By Friwi
  • 2 Post By Friwi
  • 1 Post By stagstalker

Thread: .284 DPT Magnum Suppressor Vs. Standard

.284 DPT Magnum Suppressor Vs. Standard

Saw that DPT and Greg D are saying that .284/270 bushpigs should use Magnum suppressors? I have been running a standard DPT suppressor on 18 inch barrel and had no problems with it. Whats peoples views on this? Is it about baffle wear given the powder loads in a short barrel? I like the look of the magnum but unless there is a compelling reason to change I will stick with my standard DPT. Maybe could answer this?

It will be a touch quieter as the extra over barrel length will capture more of the snort coming out the muzzle. No need to change if you aren’t worried. I did it with a magnum for the reason above and at no extra cost to overall length past the muzzle.

you COULD chuck 1 or maybe even 2 SS baffles in there to conteract the blast...but having owned a .270 with 20" barrel from new and used it for 30 years...I can tell you that even at 20" they are a flame thrower just on dark with a hot load...the definition of bushpig rifle (not ugly sheilah from Waimate) being shorter than usual barrel will mean even more flame thrower/muzzle blast so the idea of a bigger blast chamber isnt stupid in the slightest.
    GSP HUNTER and tikka like this.

I put 2 extra DPT baffles on my 16” 308 too take more blast out because of the shorter barrel length.
    Micky Duck and turtle like this.

I asked DPT which one before purchasing for my .284 a few years back, they told me standard would be absolutely fine.

Thanks guys for the responses. Think I will be sticking with what I have......

Hi,
    The 284 is in the same class of cartridge as the 270 and 30-06.
    A standard suppressor should not be used on a barrel shorter than 19” . Use a magnum if you want to go with a shorter barrel.
    stagstalker likes this.

I meant a standard suppressor should not be used on a barrel in 284 shorter than 19”.
    You can refer to the piece of article we wrote in NZ hunter magazine of April/may 2021, page 3.
    Or contact us at DPT if you are unsure .
    Shearer and stagstalker like this.

And there’s the best answer you will get from the guys who make them right there ^

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you COULD chuck 1 or maybe even 2 SS baffles in there to conteract the blast...but having owned a .270 with 20" barrel from new and used it for 30 years...I can tell you that even at 20" they are a flame thrower just on dark with a hot load...the definition of bushpig rifle (not ugly sheilah from Waimate) being shorter than usual barrel will mean even more flame thrower/muzzle blast so the idea of a bigger blast chamber isnt stupid in the slightest.
    Was that sheliah in Waimate named Queenie by chance?

I’ve been thinking about the same issue myself. I’ve got a 22 inch barrelled .284 with an older standard DPT suppressor and a Superpig 19 inch .284 with a magnum suppressor with a stainless steel baffle. I was thinking about putting a standard suppressor on the Superpig to loose some weight.
    At the end of the day, if the suppressor doesn’t last as long it’s no big deal and you can always replace a couple of baffles if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Why not a stainless blast baffle. I've got the same setup ? interested in your opinion. As I was about to go stainless
    Stainless baffle is just stronger and doesn’t wear down as fast as an alloy one. This becomes more pronounced on shorter barrels snorting out more hurt and wearing down baffles faster. I used to use a stainless baffle but don’t bother anymore in an effort to save weight. I consider the alloy baffle a cheap expendable item that I can easily replace when the time comes. The stainless baffle is not a substitute for making it quieter like adding more baffles or increasing length over the barrel will do.
    turtle likes this.