Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: .308 WIN Projectile Type/Weight Advice

Better would be to sight it 2-3" high at 100 and know that it'll be 0 at 26 and 250 (example numbers)
    Of course there's nothing like actually shooting at actual distances to get DOPE for your rifle/bullet combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    I started with handloading with about 150 cases of hornady that I had shot as factory ammo. That brass is well used now, most having been fired about nine times. Well work through three different rifles and two sets of dies, always full length re-sized to minimum SAMMI specs. Its still going strong and never been annealed.
    That's pretty impressive! mind, I think Hornady brass is on the thick side but to have that many firings without annealing is good value. Be weary of a head separation coming up though.

Yes @mimms I'm really pleased, especially how much its been worked. Last sizing run I gave them a good inspection both outside and in (use a small hook made from lacing wire) to check for head separation, I threw 3 or 3 out. Have bought a wee gas touch and been watching youtube vids so next time will give them a quick and cheap anneal.

Very conscious of head separation as many years ago a mate made up some grunty loads on military brass (I now know how dumb that is). A case broke of in my chamber and gunsmith had to remove barrel to get it out. After that I did some reading and decided if I was going to use reloads, I was going to make them myself.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

NRT
    It's simple Belmont 150,s interlocks $280 for 250 will kill anything in this country , want to reload after well you got plenty of brass to do

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

And they use he awesome interlock bullet as well.

Just got some Belmont 308 ssts150gr,they were using PMC casings.Ammo shoots fine,groups well inside moa on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutty View Post
    i have gone back to 308 150g Remington corelokts after using sst and find there much better suited for close bush hunting.
    The REM 150gr is great. Any SP will be good in bush ranges. I also found using the SST 165gr esp going nearly 2800fps out of my 308 24 inch arent great in the bush but they still do the job, the odd animal will run thou before dropping dead. I use them because the 243 is my go to and the 308 is a longer range rifle hence the 165gr sst will be very good at range.
    It just happens when i take my 308 most aniamls i see are still close so they get a 165gr sst but if had the choice and was bush shooting i be looking at the REM 150 gr or the FED powershok 150gr sp, awesome

Some good advice here , plenty of good factory ammo to choose from , most importantly practice on paper ,Ideally at 100 yards (or meters ) ,don't get to hung up on a group sub moa which according to the internet every rifle should be , even a 2 inch group will be ok out to to 200 yards , work out first if you want a 100 ,200 or 250 zero point ,( this will depend on the type of hunting you are doing) , if you think you are going to shoot at 200 plus yards you should punch some paper at that distance first before trying to put a hole in a Animal at that distance which is a hole lot harder than a nice benchrest arrangement at the rifle range .
    ocium likes this.

Sorry didn't see you already said 25-100 yards was most your shooting , 100 yard zero would be my advice and 150 grain bullet out of a 308 is a great combo.

I like 110g just to throw a bone out, used them 20+ years big or small good out to 300yards and have pushed them away past that on goats.
    Most hunting is under 200 and the old, if you can't make the shot don't take the shot.
    Hunting isn't shooting it's the hunt, the stalking, tracking, yay out there doing it, hills, blood sweat tears,wind, snow and rain.
    At the end of that if you can hit it, then the work begins.
    Injoy your hunting as the seasons change and the hill become to high, and you get to sit around telling how it was.
    I used 150s for a few years until I found them as wasting to much meat on fellow deer, which was I was working to get.
    I became smarter shot better and took all the meat home.
    What shoots on paper isn't worth making a big deal over as a deer is one big target at even two hundy.
    Advice is good and reasoning is what lacks in it sometime, till you can shoot use the bigger 150g so you at least take some meat home.
    Also a lot of expense is put into going out hunting,so slow yourself down get the best rest you can and take the shot, stay safe and eat well.
    KH
    ocium and mimms like this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Came looking for exactly the same question, found this thread.
    Thanks all!
    Max Headroom likes this.

I’ve had 308’s for 34 years. Almost every deer I have shot has been shot with this caliber. For factory loads Hornady 165 grain are great. Used the exclusively for 12 years. Never lost an animal. Accurate and kill well.
    I now shoot handloaded 165gr SST’s at 2550. Slow but really accurate out to my limit of 300m. They can go further but I don’t take shots that far. At this speed great up close too. Great killers when hit in the engine room which is where I always aim. My six cents worth based on quite a bit of practical experience. Hope this helps.
    BTW the handloads are out of a Tikka bush pig.

Have used .308 for 42 years, a few different rifles using both factory and reloaded ammo. 150gr projectiles almost exclusively, currently use Speer or Remington Core-lokts. Have shot untold numbers of game and only lost I think two deer due to shooter error. Reload to about 2600 fps these days using 2206h, does the job. As i stated in another thread I've shot every big-game species in NZ with this caliber. It's a good reliable accurate caliber, never needed anything else although my primery culling rifle these days is a .223.

My current choice is Hornady 168gn Superformance Match with the ELD-M bullet. Kills spectacularly at all ranges from 20 to 600yds, and is reliable regardless of the target size. I think the beauty of the 165-168gn weight is that they will open up on light animals, but also have enough mass for decent penetration. Pretty much any 150gn projectile will work in this country, and let’s face it it is the ‘standard’ but the extra 15-18grains of bullet weight give you just a bit of insurance. As others have mentioned the 165 SST is a goodie in the Hornady factory ammo too.
    hotsoup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    My current choice is Hornady 168gn Superformance Match with the ELD-M bullet. Kills spectacularly at all ranges from 20 to 600yds, and is reliable regardless of the target size. I think the beauty of the 165-168gn weight is that they will open up on light animals, but also have enough mass for decent penetration. Pretty much any 150gn projectile will work in this country, and let’s face it it is the ‘standard’ but the extra 15-18grains of bullet weight give you just a bit of insurance. As others have mentioned the 165 SST is a goodie in the Hornady factory ammo too.
    I have a CF 308 that I am putting together, hoping the above will work well.

168gr ELD-M
    43.8gr AR2208
    Lapua brass