Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: .357 Magnum for hunting

.357 Magnum for hunting

Anyone using a .357 Magnum for hunting goats/deer close range?

I have hunted goats with my 9mm Marlin Camp and Highland HP ammo but it just drilled holes.

Interesting performance report here on gel penetration for .38 Special and the .357 Mag. http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revo...llistics-test/

MSL
    Knew a guy who used a .38spl lever action for close range goats and deer, used a 110gr hot load.

I used a 357mag for a while only shot 1 deer , on the run at 30 meters surprised the 160grn hollow passed straight through its shoulders shot a few cattle with it all head shots..it killed them

I've shot 14 deer with the 357 Magnum. Only one ran but I'd add most were within 30m. A very nice caliber in close but all shots were well placed head, neck and shoulder shots. Penetration was always good.
    I use a 44 Magnum now over dogs and rate it as a very good caliber also.
    I used to shoot rabbits with it also running 38 sp....great fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

ok Ive asked this question of people who know before and also drawing on experience.
    there are two main types of ammo for it
    pistol (read piss weak)
    and rifle...(read faster/better)
    also one of biggest issues is that MOST ammo is built for either punching holes in paper or stopping two legged threats in a big hurry so either penertration a non issue or expanding in BIG hurry super important
    the good news is that there is better ammo out there for likes of deer/pigs or even head shooting cattle in slaughter house situation..... you just need to look a bit harder and think a bit before shelling out cash.
    Danny and WallyR like this.

Dropped deer, pigs and goats with a .357 no problems over a number of years. Longest shot with this gun was 150m or so to the shoulder of a billy, and it flattened it. Longest deer shot was around 80-100m my memories stretched somewhat now. But in any case the red skin didn't make it 30m with a clean shot straight to the shoulder.

Good solid caliber and nice and quite. Handy to reload too if your going to look at that.