Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Is a 6.5x55 enough gun for Thar

Greetings Imaca and All,
    May I respectively suggest that a box of Nosler Partitions may be considered. Yes they are expensive but you won't need many. You could also leave the remaining part box in a semi ostentatious position, say next to your mounted Tahr head as a conversation starter. A retro projectile for a retro NZ hunt.
    Regards Grandpamac
    Danny and Moa Hunter like this.

I've shot at least 30, maybe 40 tahr with my 6.5x47 and 125gn Nosler partitions (its is an old action, so it runs at a very sedate 2700 fps) and its always worked absolutely fine out to 300M - about as far as I'll shoot. The thing I've found with partitions is that they can be quite "picky" about barrels they'll shoot in. I have had a series of rifles that they were hopeless in (a 250-3000, a 6.5-06, and a 7x64 - they all shot really well with other projectiles) and I only tried them in the 6.5x47 cause they were "in the cupboard". They go perfectly OK in the wee Mauser kurz and its a bit fussy about what it likes - so its hard to make that one out!!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    The Duley's have an excellent hunting ethic, they go out of their way to make a top TV show from their adventures. And they are pretty switched on regarding game management, the whole hunting scene, the resource etc, and convey that well to both hunters and non hunters alike. But there are many of us out here that are not keen on continually portraying long range hunting as the b all and end all. The reality is that only a very small number of us are able to utilise a long range rig ethically, the majority of hunters still keep our shots within a realistic 300-350. And I think its the constant taking of long range shots, hence the encouragement of it, that rubs people up the wrong way.
    I am not an avid watcher of the show but agree with the ethics and awesome promotion of NZ hunting.
    What has irked me was seeing young kids that couldnt hold or setup the rifle themselves taking semi LR shots on one or more episodes. You could see their heads bobbling round behind the scope etc. Its not so much the LR shooting that bothers me as much as the attitude the kids may take away and apply to their future hunting because of it. There is no way they can yet comprehend the knowledge and work that allowed them to achieve, simply imposing a crosshair on a target and not fucking up the trigger or flinching.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    K95, Tentman, oneipete and 3 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Banned
    My uncle shot around 8000 Tahr as a culler for tails. 222, 308, 7x57, 3006. He also guided people at times who had magnum cannons.
    The 7 x 57 with 139 Hornadys was far and away the best apparently. Told me that the biggest mistake was to think that the anatomy of a Tahr had the bits in the same places as deer etc and to shoot too far back. Said that he always shot 'just behind the front leg' but on a tahr that is proportionately nearer to the front than most people think in the heat of the moment.
    If the 7mil could sack them the 6.5 surely will. The cannons tended to blast right through and the bulls would run 'parently
    tikka, Husky1600, Danny and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    My uncle shot around 8000 Tahr as a culler for tails. 222, 308, 7x57, 3006. He also guided people at times who had magnum cannons.
    The 7 x 57 with 139 Hornadys was far and away the best apparently. Told me that the biggest mistake was to think that the anatomy of a Tahr had the bits in the same places as deer etc and to shoot too far back. Said that he always shot 'just behind the front leg' but on a tahr that is proportionately nearer to the front than most people think in the heat of the moment.
    If the 7mil could sack them the 6.5 surely will. The cannons tended to blast right through and the bulls would run 'parently
    What was your uncles name Moa Hunter?
    Yes the treble two was very popular for several reasons,amongst the cullers on the thar.
    The .223 accounted for many thousands also,, from the aerial crews back in the day.
    I personally would'nt recommend a treble two for a novice hunting thar for the first time or any recreational hunter fi that matter on thar.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    There is a good shot placement resource here: https://www.africahunting.com/community/shot-placement/

The entry for Tahr isn’t as comprehensive as some of the others but it is well worth looking at nonetheless. https://www.africahunting.com/thread...ng-tahr.49741/.

I am not a Tahr Hunter (yet) and cannot comment on the OP‘s question about the 6.5x55 being suitable or not. Obviously the bloke that wrote this entry in the shot placement thread would probably say “no it’s not”, but I would bet a dollar or two on him being a Magnum shooter and that tends to skew their perspective, that’s been my experience.

My view as a regular 300-600m 6.5mm deer shooter is that the bullet choice is the key, with the heavier 6.5 bullets having an undeniable benefit of a very high sectional density. So a good premium quality bullet in the 130-150gr range pushed hard at 2750-2900 ft/sec is unlikely to struggle with penetration. I guess I’m just reflecting on how I would prepare for my first Tahr hunt if I was determined to use my proven rifle - if it can knock over big heavy reds and 150lb++ pigs at those ranges I’d be pretty confident I could knock over a Tahr - as long as I selected a bullet tough enough for the job.

Several good quality bullet options stand out for me, the main bullet type that I would avoid full stop would be the A-Max / ELD-M, Tipped MatchKing types, they work very well at distance on our soft skinned deer and goats but would be a poor choice for Himalayan Tahr.

I would be keen to get my hands on some of the new Norma Bondstrike in 6.5 for Tahr, I hope it doesn’t take too long for them to arrive in New Zealand as projectiles only. I don’t much like the marketing though as they are pushing them as extreme long-range bullets, which doesn’t really make sense to me.
    I'd hazard a guess that the eld-m / amaxs have successfully killed many a tahr in this country.
    jakewire and superdiver like this.

DLW
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I'd hazard a guess that the eld-m / amaxs have successfully killed many a tahr in this country.
    +1 amaxs work great, well the 162 and 208 work great

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Yes the treble two was very popular for several reasons,amongst the cullers on the thar.
    The .223 accounted for many thousands also,, from the aerial crews back in the day.
    I personally would'nt recommend a treble two for a novice hunting thar for the first time or any recreational hunter fi that matter on thar.
    PM on name. Re the trebly, uncle told me what they did was pretty disgusting by todays standards. Sneak up to a mob of Nannys and kids, shoot the lead matriarchal nannys fair in the guts, they would hunch up and not run and lead the mob away. Then with a couple of extended mags, methodically shoot the lot and retrieve the tails.
    What he did tell me about shooting bulls with the 222 was that they used Norma 50 or 55 gr pills ( someone will know) which were hard and would penetrate. Shoot quickly every bull in the mob just behind the front leg. Don't show yourself and DONT shoot any bull twice. The bulls would walk around then start swaying an falling over, one after the other. If a bull was shot again because it hadn't gone down it would run off over a bluff and the whole lot might follow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    PM on name. Re the trebly, uncle told me what they did was pretty disgusting by todays standards. Sneak up to a mob of Nannys and kids, shoot the lead matriarchal nannys fair in the guts, they would hunch up and not run and lead the mob away. Then with a couple of extended mags, methodically shoot the lot and retrieve the tails.
    What he did tell me about shooting bulls with the 222 was that they used Norma 50 or 55 gr pills ( someone will know) which were hard and would penetrate. Shoot quickly every bull in the mob just behind the front leg. Don't show yourself and DONT shoot any bull twice. The bulls would walk around then start swaying an falling over, one after the other. If a bull was shot again because it hadn't gone down it would run off over a bluff and the whole lot might follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Yes that was the norm for some cullers but not everyone involved. Taking the lead nannie out was the proven method for sure.
    In a big strung out mob,,(indian file) one always worked through the mob starting from the rear. The type of projectiles in the triple two that bored into the big Bulls were called a Hammer Head ,,it took a follow up shot on many occasions all the same.
    Thanks Moa Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by DLW View Post
    +1 amaxs work great, well the 162 and 208 work great
    They didn't all work, while the above ones were fine, I only used the 243 105's for a couple of hunts, I found them to be be a very poor choice for Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post

mid-cased 6.5s work