Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: 7mm08 hunting range?

7mm08 hunting range?

how far have you successfully taken game with this calibre and what game was it?
    cheers.

A better question might be what projectile at what velocity have you used to take game successfully at what range.
    Pop Shot, 7mmsaum and BRADS like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

yes indeed just curious to hear its limits ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    A better question might be what projectile at what velocity have you used to take game successfully at what range.
    Ditto.

Tikka T3 - 140gr BT @ 2740fps.

Deer - 445 yards
    Goats - 55 yards
    Steel - 800+ yards

Note - I've owned this rifle for the past six or seven years and know it inside out.
    7mmsaum and PERRISCICABA like this.

cheers pop shot, i can shoot 120 tsx's doin approx 3000 fps into 2" @300m on a good day

Quote Originally Posted by llewelyn View Post
    yes indeed just curious to hear its limits ;-)
    A rifles limits is primarily set by a persons ability though eh....(ignoring ballistics etc).

That said, I think I'm at the stage of pushing my rifle/setup to its limits. At around 5-550 yards my projectiles speed drops below 1800fps and 1000 ft/lbs of energy. I would like to shoot a deer past 500 yards with this rifle but the opportunity hasn't arisen as yet. I have seen many deer around that distance but often in less than ideal conditions.

Practise is the key - I have spent a lot of time shooting alot of rounds at steel targets confirming drops/drifts in a variety of conditions and have confidence in my ability and setup.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

i use to hunt abit out SF70 but they 1080'd around my spot so ...... yea buggers.

and yes i practise when i can afford to haha.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by llewelyn View Post
    cheers pop shot, i can shoot 120 tsx's doin approx 3000 fps into 2" @300m on a good day
    personally I would not be trying to shoot any any animal past what you consider a doable range on an average or poor day.

these types of threads give me the heeby jeebies... just have visions of guys who very occasionally are able to shoot a small group off a bench at the deerstalkers range going out and shooting at animals from unstable shooting positions, in the rain, with buck fever running in their veins etc
    Pop Shot, mudgripz, BRADS and 2 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    These types of threads give me the heeby jeebies...
    Agreed - was reluctant to post hence making a big deal outer knowing your ability/limits and practising!!!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    personally I would not be trying to shoot any any animal past what you consider a doable range on an average or poor day.

these types of threads give me the heeby jeebies... just have visions of guys who very occasionally are able to shoot a small group off a bench at the deerstalkers range going out and shooting at animals from unstable shooting positions, in the rain, with buck fever running in their veins etc
    Ha. What's new
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Not everyone is on there first deer and suffers buck fever.
    Actually one would be even less likely to encounter buck fever at long range as usually the animal is spotted then a decent shooting position found, ranged, wind observation, calc, wait for the animal to present a good shot.....

I do get your point a bit tho hence my first post, would hate for the OP to read "yea bro taken heaps of deer/pigs/cham/tahr out to 900 yards with mine" and the OP goes out with some blue box federal and gives it a crack
    7mmsaum, ebf, BRADS and 3 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

If you suffer from buck fever then concider yourself a hazard and take even more care. Its just a deer
    7mmsaum likes this.

Stone throwing distance for a 7mm-08 if your bush hunting like me for others who reload and like to push it out there, 400-600 yards.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

ebf
    VC, interesting point you make. I'm not convinced that buck fever has anything to do with the amount of animals a person has shot.

Unfortunately it seems to infect even the so-called experienced ones, as demonstrated in Aorangi not so long ago.

But buck fever is perhaps a topic for another thread...
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Dropped a bull like it was hit with lightning at 500 yards with 140gr by leaving at 2840 fps. I am same as potshot though, have owned this rifle for a long time and shot it a lot. Wife has neck shot chamois at 320 with it, tahr around same range.
    Pop Shot and ritchie426 like this.