Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree74Likes
  • 24 Post By Been Upto
  • 20 Post By Been Upto
  • 13 Post By Been Upto
  • 1 Post By Double_massive
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 5 Post By 25 /08 IMP
  • 2 Post By Been Upto
  • 1 Post By rugerman
  • 3 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By sako75

Thread: Absolute Ripper Weekend In The Ruahines

Absolute Ripper Weekend In The Ruahines

Hey fellas just thought id share my last weekend for those who are keen on a read. So as some of you may know @25/08IMP has taken me under his wing the past few months helping me sight in rifles reloading for me, teaching me how to shoot better. Also helping me get my .260 setup. Well anyway Neil hit me up and asked if I would be keen to come on a weekend away hunting at one of his spot xs as his son had pulled out. I jumped at the chance knowing that I would learn alot over the weekend

Day1
    ,So Friday lunctime we were off, accompanied by Neils mates Wayne and Ian two good buggers. Soon enough we arrived at spot x Neil and I grabbed our gears from the ute as the group was splitting in two for the weekend meeting back up on Sunday. Neil and I were off lugging our gear into the bush, about an hour into our hike we reached the top of the ridge we were going to stay on, we heard a gunshot ring out into the Valley. Those lucky buggers had shot a four point stag off the bat! Awesome. We continued along to our campsite to setup along the way we heard a roar ringout which was wicked as ive never heard a wild stag roar before. All setup we headed off to check out some slips for the last light hunt. Arrived at the shooting possie, started glassing the main slip, after a few minutes Neil pops around the corner to checkout the further slip "Deer" glassing over to the far slip there was a hind and fawn grazing the distant slip. We decided to pass up on them as Neil had never been over to that slip before. A few minutes pass by glassing the closer slip I hear Neil say "Stag!" Glancing over at this slip 500 yards away this massive bodied stag come out of the scrub into the clearing. I was speechless first stag I had ever seen. The big boy started throwing his head round smashing some branches reared his head back and roared! Absolutely wicked! After accessing his head Neil decided he would have a crack at the big boy the shot was 500 yards the stag darted out of eyesight we thought maybe we wouldn't get another shot at him. We were loosing light fast! The big boy finally decided to reappear, roaring again out in the open. Standing broadside Neil squeezed off. Through the binos it looked like it hit him he ran five metres still in sight Neil squeezed off another shot BOOMFA the big boy poleaxed down into the V of the clearing. What an awesome action packed first night! we decided that first thing in the morning we would head over to recover him which Neil had said he had never left an animal overnight before but not knowing the terrain over there we left it till the morning.

Day 2
    Day two was a nice early start to check out those same slips first light, no action there we descended into the creek onto neils big boy. After a decent morning walk we come straight onto the stag. Having never seen a red stag up close I couldn't believe how big this guy was Neil had shot a horse! Big timbered 10 pointer! what a ripper! After some photos Neil butchered him up but to Neils dismay my tiny day pack could only fit the backsteaks lol so Neil had to carry all the meat and this big head back over to camp. We descended from the slips into the creek, dropped the gear off for a quick stalk up to see if anything was still out. No luck again we beelined for camp for well deserved cuppa an nap. Back up again at 3pm for the afternoon hunt. We stalked our way along the ridgeline to some different slips. We sat down on this literal cliff edge glassing for a couple hours, the whole time I was shitting myself every ounce of my being was clinging to this cliff haha. Neil and I agreed that we would head back to the original slips for the last couple hours of light. Back to the original possie we sat and glassed and glassed we both must of been knackered because we both had a nap up there lol . The time was getting later things were looking dire for another shot. We were both about to give in go to camp for a cuppa, Neil had one final glass onto the slip and says "Theres your deer" I excitedly pulled my binos up there she was a nice hind feeding up on the bottom of the slip accompanied by her young yearling. We quickly got my new .260 rem setup dialed up the scope Neil also got dialed in to take the young one aswell. Slowly squeezed off on the shoulder after the shots went off it had looked at first glance that we had both missed. We quickly descended into the creek up into the slip. At first glance couldnt see any sign of a hit put the headtorches on right infront of me a nice blood trail. Neil called from above me that he had found his yearling. We followed my hinds blood down the slip across the creek she must of run out of blood and died right there in the bush edge from the creek. Which was convenient because thats were Neil bones the deer out that they shoot from the same slip. Stoked as. My shot was a little far forward going through the shoulder and out the throat. Old mates quick butchering skills we were back into camp at 9:30pm he carried the yearling all the way to camp! What an awesome day!

Day 3
    The early morning packup and cuppa was met by a couple lazy roars from somewhere in the bush which was nice. Our morning was a nice slog back to the ute an epic weekend alright! Neil weighed his pack when he got home it was 48kg with the head what an animal! Slogged it out all the way back down some hectic country.

Big thanks to my mate Neil really enjoyed the trip away I learnt heaps. Awesome weekend!
    Shootm, Tahr, sako75 and 21 others like this.

Name:  55736561_972513513137954_7794194005226422272_n.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  310.8 KB Name:  55448517_1269695159853419_5667371434842783744_n.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  1.54 MB
    Shootm, Tahr, veitnamcam and 17 others like this.

Name:  55549649_2159489304134480_4421900604847161344_n.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  1.77 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shootm, Tahr, R93 and 10 others like this.

Well done! top effort and a very successful hunt!!
    Been Upto likes this.

Nice, you are knocking them over now. Nice stag!
    Been Upto likes this.

Cheers fellas and yeah it was an awesome stag! Stoked as for Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Been Upto View Post
    Cheers fellas and yeah it was an awesome stag! Stoked as for Neil
    It was a ripper of a weekend your stag will be next.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Gibo and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    It was a ripper of a weekend your stag will be next.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Bloody awesome times mate
    Tahr and 25 /08 IMP like this.

Well done
    Great write and pics
    Been Upto likes this.

That’s a ripper ruahine stag! awesome
    Wildman, 199p and Been Upto like this.

far better your shot too far forward than too far back.... enjoy your venison.
    Been Upto likes this.

Top stuff a great weekend and a cracker stag, good to blood the new 260 too.
    Been Upto likes this.

Awesome weekend well done Guys.
    Been Upto likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Well done on popping your cherry
    It is a great journey from starting out to that adrenaline moment when you first pull the trigger
    Been Upto likes this.