Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mohawk660

Thread: Advice on Big Hill Station

Advice on Big Hill Station

Hi Guys I have a permit for Big Hill station from the 6-12 of Feb,

Unfortunately my hunting buddy cant make it due to unforeseen circumstances,

is it possible to drive thru Big Hill station and the doc land to the Doc hut in a 2wd ute this time of year or is it only 4wd access?

Any tips for this area would be appreciated too. PM if you wish.

Many Thanks
    BRADS likes this.

There is also a couple of places available if anyone wants to hunt the Ruahines permit is for entry via Big Hill Station on Friday 6/02/2015 5:30-6:30pm or 7:30-8:30 am 7/02/2015

exit is anytime before the 13-02-2015 PM if keen.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk660 View Post
    Hi Guys I have a permit for Big Hill station from the 6-12 of Feb,

Unfortunately my hunting buddy cant make it due to unforeseen circumstances,

is it possible to drive thru Big Hill station and the doc land to the Doc hut in a 2wd ute this time of year or is it only 4wd access?

Any tips for this area would be appreciated too. PM if you wish.

Many Thanks
    @Mohawk660

Yes you will be able to drive your 2wd ute to either Ruahine Hut or No Mans Hut.

You may be able to get it further to the White Hut but I would not recommend it.

Just past the No Mans Hut the road rises up a steepish incline that has some rather deep ruts scoured out running the length of the road.

Any 4wd will definitely make it ok but it would be 50/50 or less on a 2wd doing it.

As for tips .... Find the fresh sign and you will find the deer........ latest report I have is they appear to be very low down in the creeks.

Have you been there before?

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    @Mohawk660

Yes you will be able to drive your 2wd ute to either Ruahine Hut or No Mans Hut.

You may be able to get it further to the White Hut but I would not recommend it.

Just past the No Mans Hut the road rises up a steepish incline that has some rather deep ruts scoured out running the length of the road.

Any 4wd will definitely make it ok but it would be 50/50 or less on a 2wd doing it.

As for tips .... Find the fresh sign and you will find the deer........ latest report I have is they appear to be very low down in the creeks.

Have you been there before?

Cheers
    Pete

No Pete my first time there, the summer we have had I'd expect the animals to be low down near or in the creeks etc.

Regards
    Dean.

How long u in for mate

I'm going down Friday , coming back Monday for nightshift on Monday..... Could stay a few more days but will need to arrange annual leave. Pm or tx on 021-509398 if your keen.

I went in this time last year and the only sign is down, down low. Down dead dog is a good place to go for a start. The track was redone a year or so ago and should be ok for a 2 wheel drive. And if i wasn't going to the Coromandel for that week i would be up for it. Good luck any way. Leave some un shot as i am in there in April. Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by POME View Post
    I went in this time last year and the only sign is down, down low. Down dead dog is a good place to go for a start. The track was redone a year or so ago and should be ok for a 2 wheel drive. And if i wasn't going to the Coromandel for that week i would be up for it. Good luck any way. Leave some un shot as i am in there in April. Bring it on!
    Thanks pome for the tip, Did you knock any animals over last time? Good animal numbers there ?