Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Advice on gaiters.

Advice on gaiters.

Morning all, I wear a pair of gaiters winter summer all year really. I have had huntexh, hunters element, stony creek etc. what would you recommend and why please. I personally like the ones just bellow the knee. Looking for advice thanks.

I have cactus gaiters. They are bombproof, but would be too noisy for bush stalking.
    Pengy and TianBotha like this.

I've had a great run out of my twinneedle ones. Would recommend them
    BRADS and shift14 like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I have the Swazi Gaiters, I really rate them. Used all over S.I, very light, tough & waterproof. If they fail you can send them back for repair.

https://www.swazi.co.nz/Product/AGB/GAITER

Gone but not forgotten
    I have a pair of the Huntech fleece covered knee length ones I bought in the 1990s, I wear them every trip (except the one time I forgot them!). I always hunt in shorts, occasionally with lonjohns underneath, and wear the gaiters for protection, waterproofing, and covering white legs
    karlos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I have cactus gaiters. They are bombproof, but would be too noisy for bush stalking.
    Me too (the alpine ones with the foam pad to protect your shin). I just wear cheap fleece pants over them when I'm trying to be quiet.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I have a pair of the Huntech fleece covered knee length ones I bought in the 1990s, I wear them every trip (except the one time I forgot them!). I always hunt in shorts, occasionally with lonjohns underneath, and wear the gaiters for protection, waterproofing, and covering white legs
    I have been using a pair of the original NZ made ones for 10 years now, I have liked them, bit heavy when they get wet, but a good all round gater for the type of hunting i do. They are just starting to come apart at the seems and will need to be replaced soon, but im not sure the chinese versions will measure up.
    rogers.270 likes this.

Sea to summit, love them as they stay up!

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Im in this camp.....
    rogers.270 likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I recently bought the lighter weight macpac medium but medium means the length so they didn't quite reach up to my knees. So if you go for macpac get the "large".

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Stoney Creek for me but the old ones without all the bells and whistles. I find something i like and buy two now because you go to buy another whatever it is and companies change the design to something completely different.
    Just like Micro Tough pants and they changed them too, got three pairs of the old ones i like

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Stay away from anything with neoprene where there is a stress point: I tried the "Bushbuck Kayahan" (sp?) and they were worse than useless - neoprene tears easily when subjected to stress. I also personally detest anything with the wire loop that passes underneath your boot: spend anytime walking in a shale river & its toast or go for a walk where there are tree roots and other shit to snag on - you are gong to have a fall...
    Interested to see where this thread goes...
    TianBotha and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Stay away from anything with neoprene where there is a stress point: I tried the "Bushbuck Kayahan" (sp?) and they were worse than useless - neoprene tears easily when subjected to stress. I also personally detest anything with the wire loop that passes underneath your boot: spend anytime walking in a shale river & its toast or go for a walk where there are tree roots and other shit to snag on - you are gong to have a fall...
    Most Bushbuck stuff just seems to be cheap generic gear imported from China from what I've seen. I don't mind it for casual use or work but its not made for real backcountry antics.

Don't agree with you about the wire under the boot though, I've been using those for years without any issues, they do wear out eventually but last longer than webbing straps etc. It does need to be the right length to be tight under the instep of the boot though, if you had it hanging loose I'm sure it could cause problems. Without them gaiters don't usually stay in place as well or give a good seal onto the boot to keep water out etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Most Bushbuck stuff just seems to be cheap generic gear imported from China from what I've seen. I don't mind it for casual use or work but its not made for real backcountry antics.

Don't agree with you about the wire under the boot though, I've been using those for years without any issues, they do wear out eventually but last longer than webbing straps etc. It does need to be the right length to be tight under the instep of the boot though, if you had it hanging loose I'm sure it could cause problems. Without them gaiters don't usually stay in place as well or give a good seal onto the boot to keep water out etc.
    Part of it probably depends on the boots you're wearing as well - personally: the loop under the boot pisses me off more than helps; maybe I've never got it right. But I've only ever had problems with gaiters riding up when moving through snow or mud pushing them up - a good elastic seal at the bottom resolves this for me.
    BRADS likes this.

pretty happy with the cactus ones.once they are worn in they are not so noisy anymore. if you go carefully they are fine for bush stalking i recon.