Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Dorkus
  • 1 Post By Paddy79
  • 2 Post By 199p
  • 1 Post By Kooza
  • 1 Post By Paddy79
  • 1 Post By killer-smurf

Thread: Advice on where to go...

Advice on where to go...

I'm at the outset of planning a 3-day trip in mid-October looking for deer, and stumbling across a pig wouldn't go a miss. The obvious place to go is into the Ruahine Forest - but does anyone have any advice on other areas within the map screenshot? Not looking for spot X's obviously - unless you want to PM me

If there were access to a hut and also driving in a quad they would both be a massive bonus!

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers, Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Are you coming up from Dunners especially for a 3 day hunt? What is your fitness level and hunting experience like? I'm pretty new to the Ruahines compared to a few on here but happy to help you out with some advice. Depending on dates I might even be able to join you for a hunt.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Hey @Dorkus - my fitness is a shocker..! I'm bidding on an exercise bike on tardme that I hope to have within the next couple of days and I plan on putting in some serious training before the trip. I'm new to hunting - did my first hunt last October and that finished empty handed - second hunt I got a couple of fallow.

I'm kinda coming all the way from Dunners for a hunt, but I'm doing a couple of days work in Wellington first to tie it all in together. Then I'll be heading up north with a friend from work who is based in the NI.

We've all got to start somewhere mate. There are plenty of deer in the Ruahines and you don't have to walk for hours to find them, although generally if you can get away from all the other buggers you will do better imho. Also lots of good huts, again without a massive amount of walking. The country is fairly steep and often a prick with supplejack down low and leatherwood up high and can be a prick to get around if you end up bush bashing.

If I was you I would have a look at the WAMS website https://www.wams.org.nz/wams_desktop/index.html and read the doc where to hunt section Hunting: Things to do. Pick a good looking spot and study the maps/google earth.

If you are stuck for ideas or want a bit of inside knowledge on a spot you like the look of then send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help out. If you know dates you'll be up here and want someone to hunt with then let me know and I'll try pencil it in the diary - the more notice the better.
    veitnamcam, mikee and Huk like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Huk
    Good on you @Dorkus

Hey @Matt-j if you wanta get a bike Get a spin bike like ya see in the gyms group fitness classes, chain driven with a brake type resistance not magnetic or belt they will just slip.
    I also have a bunch of les mills rpm dvds, may be able to send one or two through to ya to copy, I used to be certified less mills instructor that's why I have them and why I used to be fit, not no more though
    Matt-j likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    We've all got to start somewhere mate. There are plenty of deer in the Ruahines and you don't have to walk for hours to find them, although generally if you can get away from all the other buggers you will do better imho. Also lots of good huts, again without a massive amount of walking. The country is fairly steep and often a prick with supplejack down low and leatherwood up high and can be a prick to get around if you end up bush bashing.

If I was you I would have a look at the WAMS website https://www.wams.org.nz/wams_desktop/index.html and read the doc where to hunt section Hunting: Things to do. Pick a good looking spot and study the maps/google earth.

If you are stuck for ideas or want a bit of inside knowledge on a spot you like the look of then send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help out. If you know dates you'll be up here and want someone to hunt with then let me know and I'll try pencil it in the diary - the more notice the better.
    if Dorkus holds to his name hit me up bro hahaha
    BRADS and Dorkus like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

North eastern getting 1080 over winter so I'd stay away from that area
    Matt-j likes this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Thanks for the info Dorkus, and the links. Will definitely look into some spots.

from ashurst side there is a 4wd drive track you can go all the way up to the top
    Matt-j likes this.

I would suggest you go into the tararua's (mangahao dams area near shannon) there is even a full on house you can stay at with power if you wanted to by the third dam owned by a local club for $8 a night I think, can drive vehicle right to the door
    Matt-j likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by killer-smurf View Post
    I would suggest you go into the tararua's (mangahao dams area near shannon) there is even a full on house you can stay at with power if you wanted to by the third dam owned by a local club for $8 a night I think, can drive vehicle right to the door
    Hey @killer-smurf - do you have any more information about the house? Website link or something? Cheers
    Last edited by Matt-j; 03-08-2017 at 02:32 PM.