Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree24Likes
  • 19 Post By southernman
  • 3 Post By southernman
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst

Thread: An Alberta Whitetail.

An Alberta Whitetail.

Got out for a day hunt south of town 25 min, taking the new M70 stainless in 308, -8deg crisp and misty, parked the truck, and set out to explore an area of regrowth, after logging a few years ago, lots of willow and small aspens, with patch's of slash and spruce, 1/2 hour into hunt I upset a few grouse, and spooked the first deer of the day, bugger, wind was very swirly as sun appeared, and this sent the second deer of the day away,
    a few big open slashes, had nothing more that a coyote, I debated shooting him, but let him go,
    Beinging the walk back, I came across an old cut line, that seamed to be going, in the right direction, 1km from the truck, I bumped a spiker, ran about 50m away, and half ass hid in the willows, a quick shot, and meat a deer was down, gutting and taking 3 quarters, backsteaks and eye fillets, filled the little day pack, the cut line bought me back to the truck, less than 100m, away, good little day hunt, over by midday, and a home to a hot drink.Name:  IMG_2039.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  1.80 MBName:  IMG_2042.JPG
Views: 409
Size:  2.72 MB

Sounds like a great day out. Nice manageable size deer. Thanks for write up. Pretty rifle too!

Nice one! Certainly looks warmer than neg 8 from the pic

57JL
    cool venison for tea I like the looks of your new rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Nice one! Certainly looks warmer than neg 8 from the pic
    This was just before I headed back to NZ, so Mid November. quite big temp swings, once the sun is up, likely around zero, when photos taken, perhaps a touch more, it isn't like that now, -33 overnight warmed up to -28deg at 3:30, already dropping again, as sun is just about below the horizon now. (4:00)pm
    Was a nice early morning hunt, and its always good, to get on board with a new rifle.
    veitnamcam, Gibo and xtightg like this.

Nice, I’m glad you’re getting some sweet hunts in. Makes up for braving that temperature.

That should be some excellent eating, my son in BC Canada likes Whitetail the most of the deer species available. This season coming looks like the wife and I will be trekking our way to the cold country to see family and I will get to hunt with my son and grandsons again … roll on September. P.S that Mod 70 looks like a nice rifle .

Huk
    Good stuff those hunts are great home early for a hot toddy,those winny stocks look the biz

Good stuff mate. What's the go with hunting permits etc over there? Is it like the states where you need a tag? Are there seasons?

PS: had a picnic lunch with the mrs down at millers flat the other day and I threw a line with the flyrod you gave me, just blind fishing the Clutha with a mrs Simpson on a sinking tip 5 weight I put on the reel you also gave me. Caught a nice wee 2lb-ish rainbow that managed to leap out of my hands while I was removing the hook, literally first cast, but not much luck after that!
    southernman and StagRyan like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.