Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Any advice for a new hunter?

Any advice for a new hunter?

Hi everyone

We have just moved to Napier after living in Australia and I have just started hunting. The plan is to one day teach my boy.

Been heading to Kawekas a lot in the last few months. Mostly starting at Lakes Carpark. Been up to top of Kuripapango and the Rouge tops glassing from Dawn onwards... but just had no luck and haven't seen a single deer. I would very much welcome any advice... should I start lower in the Bush? but on that note I don't even know how to start as never bush stalked before. Thanks team.

Get out as much as you can

Take ya binos and explore, Look for games trails, slips and clearings, it will come
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Caretaker
    Send me a PM if you like

Been hunting the kawekas 45 years and know the habits of those wily Sika -can share/show you some hot spots for this time of the year
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Once you spot a couple of deer you'll wonder how many you missed all those other times. It will come. Stick at it
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Thanks so much mate! I'll drop you a friend request. Would love to head out with you sometime or have a yarn over a few beers

Ive been out and come home seeing no deer about 10 times before I finally saw and shot a deer in the bush. For me the key was going slower, being quieter, and paying a lot more attention to what was going on around me. All the best and keep at it.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by kawekahunter View Post
    Thanks so much mate! I'll drop you a friend request. Would love to head out with you sometime or have a yarn over a few beers
    I have sent you a PM

It’s behind the notifications tab on the top of your forum home page
    Micky Duck likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Go out high on the hills and let yr binos do the walking.

As these guys all say- you’ll learn the most from just getting out there as often as you can. Every trip you’ll learn more. There’s also plenty of learning you can do at home- find yourself a copy of Lentle & Saxtons Red Deer in NZ book. Can pick copies up cheap on trademe. Not sure how Sika behaviour compares to reds, but I certainly learned a lot reading that book. I also enjoy watching hunting vids on YouTube etc & shows like Hunters Club & NZ Hunter Adventures. You’ll pick up plenty of tips & ideas from those. Spend time scrolling your hunting areas on Google Earth- you’ll pick up on promising slips & clearings etc to focus on when you head out. & spend some time trawling the depths of places like this forum- there’s an absolute wealth of knowledge & wisdom on here & if you show you’re willing to contribute there are plenty of folks here who are generous with their time & knowledge.

Don’t read had the shit posted here. That’s a good start.

Go join nzda Napier or Hastings branch. Get to know some people. If your keen it will happen.

NZDA HUNTS course is worth doing for if you've not hunted in NZ.

Learning how to deal with the bush, how to get off the track safely (and get back again) etc made all the difference for me.
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    NZDA HUNTS course is worth doing for if you've not hunted in NZ.

Learning how to deal with the bush, how to get off the track safely (and get back again) etc made all the difference for me.
    Awesome tip thanks you!

Always clearly identify your target 100%.
    Pixie Z likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by kawekahunter View Post
    Hi everyone

We have just moved to Napier after living in Australia and I have just started hunting. The plan is to one day teach my boy.

Been heading to Kawekas a lot in the last few months. Mostly starting at Lakes Carpark. Been up to top of Kuripapango and the Rouge tops glassing from Dawn onwards... but just had no luck and haven't seen a single deer. I would very much welcome any advice... should I start lower in the Bush? but on that note I don't even know how to start as never bush stalked before. Thanks team.
    Greetings Kawekahunter,
    I make no claims at being much of a hunter, quite the reverse in fact but I can share some of the mistakes I have made so that you don't need to repeat them. First get to know your area. The country accessed from the Lakes carpark is extensive so get to know it. Once you find an area you like keep on going back to it. Go as slowly as possible when hunting and as Micky Duck would say go slower still. Hunt the sign rich places. You might consider doing a multi day walk from Lakes Road to Kiwi Saddle Hut to Castle Camp to McIntosh Hut to Lakes Road. This would give you a good understanding of the area. Stopping and glassing frequently, even in the middle of the day, is always worthwhile. Lastly enjoy it. I've been trudging around the Kaweka's including the above area for close on 60 years and still enjoy my gentlemen's hours walks up there. Even take a rifle from time to time. Hunting in the winter is always hard. Regard your current trips as recce's for spring.
    Regards Grandpamac.

one word : patience
    dont expect the big one on day one, i got my first deer at 12 or 13, took me till 18 to get my 2nd
    also prepare for the worst, dont expect a day trip unless its a few km around a farm. expect weather changes and delays.