Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TJM

Thread: Any one from Hamilton going for a hunt in Taupo region tomorrow??

TJM

Any one from Hamilton going for a hunt in Taupo region tomorrow??

Off to the Kaimanawas tomorrow for a quick check of some of my spots after the Easter rush,
    Any one else taking the plunge this weekend?

I've stabbed my archeles tendon so the guns and dogs are having a quiet one.
    What calibre did you end up buying?
    Is be keen to come for a drive next time...
    Good luck.
    Dan M

TJM
    Same as the last rifle,, 243, find it very good bush hunting particularly for Sika Ended up at the Taupo range sited it in and helped another person there at same time.
    As I was in Taupo and the day was nice I then went to one of to one of the well used forest park tracks for a quick walk with the rifle. hunted a couple of spots with out any luck as the wind was swirling from in front to behind and was reasonably strong. However when I was getting closer to the track after stalking half a km or so away from one of the tracks I came across a nice reasonably clear spot in amongst the thick pepper wood with a fresh scraping and a wallow fairly close by. it hadn't been used since the recent rain but indicates to me that the stags are still in the area.OVer the next month i will try to get back there for another proper look.Name:  IMG_2590 (2).JPG
Views: 421
Size:  156.7 KBName:  IMG_2589 (2).JPG
Views: 391
Size:  174.2 KBName:  IMG_2591 (2).JPG
Views: 372
Size:  123.7 KB

Nice mate. Keep in touch.
    Dan M

hey mate i am allways keen for a hunt fairly new to hunting done a few fly in trips into kaimanawas love it there,havent tried any walk in trips yet so could b keen

I've just moved to Hamilton and am keen to get out for a look as well, need to find somewhere to sight in my rifle first though. Is there a range local?

TJM
    There is a range, used to be on the way to Raglan not sure now though, I use the Taupo range as that's whee most of my hunting is done.
    rookiesniper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenburg View Post
    I've just moved to Hamilton and am keen to get out for a look as well, need to find somewhere to sight in my rifle first though. Is there a range local?
    I still have legit access to Rotorua range and live in Hamilton. If I am heading over will let you know. Might be doing a trek there this weekend for a 22 or may be heading south to Piro Piro flats for a little deer chasing. There is also a range within Hamilton that apparently you can get access to something like every 3rd Saturday of the month.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Yeah, I'm the same as Willie and have legit access to the Rotorua deer stalkers range. I'll let you know if I head back to Rotorua any time soon and we could try and jack something up if you're keen

That'd be great, itching to get out but my rifle needs to be set up first. Shouldn't be too much envolved, two shoots at 100m and i'll be all sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenburg View Post
    That'd be great, itching to get out but my rifle needs to be set up first. Shouldn't be too much envolved, two shoots at 100m and i'll be all sorted.
    I went out to pirongia few places and old logging sites computer target print outs on pizza box, used range finder marked 100.. Might be heading over there this Saturday few goats/pigs.