Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Any one hunting over new years in upper north island

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    671

    Any one hunting over new years in upper north island

    As per title. I was going to go do a weeks hunting near the Oamaru hut but the bloke I was going with can't go anymore.

    Was curious if anyone is going to go to the kaimanawa and wouldn't mind a Jafa who's new to hunting tag along.

    Right now I'm planning on going to go to the back ridge hut and parking the car at the puketitiri road end.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    230
    Ive been to the puketitri museum years ago, is that the same road

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    936
    Back ridge hut is in Kawekas and yeah @Martin358 same road, musem long gone now though, the place sold earlier this year after been up for sale for ages
    Life is long

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    44
    Just go it alone, canít beat time by yourself in the bush.
    Steve123 and A330driver like this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    Back ridge hut is in Kawekas and yeah @Martin358 same road, musem long gone now though, the place sold earlier this year after been up for sale for ages
    Is the hunting any good?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    437
    I will go somewhere with the dog bug unsure where. Have till mid Jan off

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Is the hunting any good?
    Looks like a fair old slog

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    I will go somewhere with the dog bug unsure where. Have till mid Jan off
    I am going back to work on the 9th. And going camping with my girlfriend for the few days before then with my girlfriend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Looks like a fair old slog
    Yeah it does. It looks like a fair few hours walk. Quite steep. Could always try Oamaru hut. Seems like a lot more closer to the road end hahah

  9. #9
    Member scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    the old cheese factory
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Could always try Oamaru hut. Seems like a lot more closer to the road end hahah
    the walk thru poronui is a relaxing one . .... cos you cant hunt whille you walk you have plenty of time to "get your eyes on"after spending too much time working in the city always see deer and know what colours and movements and sounds to be on the lookout for when you do get to the oamaru. over the te iringi is a harder slog (have they fixed it yet?) but well worth it with good hunting off either side of the track and good fly camp spots along the way. can be hit and miss as far as hunter numbers go the few times ive done it weve had the place almost to ourselves but heard sometimes its busier than a gunshop a few days before duck season. (your 308 took a young spiker at around 400 yds on the private block at the oamaru one year )

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    the walk thru poronui is a relaxing one . .... cos you cant hunt whille you walk you have plenty of time to "get your eyes on"after spending too much time working in the city always see deer and know what colours and movements and sounds to be on the lookout for when you do get to the oamaru. over the te iringi is a harder slog (have they fixed it yet?) but well worth it with good hunting off either side of the track and good fly camp spots along the way. can be hit and miss as far as hunter numbers go the few times ive done it weve had the place almost to ourselves but heard sometimes its busier than a gunshop a few days before duck season. (your 308 took a young spiker at around 400 yds on the private block at the oamaru one year )
    Heard that there's heaps of deer through poronui.

    That sounds good as I've never seen a deer other than at a deer farm. Know what they smell like.


    Might be bust as lots on annual leave.

    That's awesome. Never shot that far. So might have to sneak up on them haha.

    Thanks for the advice.

  11. #11
    Member Frogfeatures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Auckland, city of millionaire home owners !
    Posts
    494
    Camp at Littles Clearing ( on the roadintowards Makahu hut )
    Hunt back towards Black Birch bivvy, or over the road from the clearing, on th clay pans.
    I’d be there, but I’m stuck in hospital
    Blisters and Russian 22. like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

    You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

  12. #12
    Member scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    the old cheese factory
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Heard that there's heaps of deer through poronui.

    That sounds good as I've never seen a deer other than at a deer farm. Know what they smell like.


    Might be bust as lots on annual leave.

    That's awesome. Never shot that far. So might have to sneak up on them haha.

    Thanks for the advice.
    oh and if you do head to oamaru thru poronui ...... leave your bolt in your pack , it is a paper road but its just a common courtesy to the land owners they have had trouble with poachers in the past . wish i could get down there but holidays are short and lots a fencing to do closest i will get will be the rifle range for a bit of stress relief. if your confident the tiki tiki area is always productive ..... one of my favorite spots to fly camp. even if you intend on staying at the oamaru take a fly just in case all the bunks are taken......wouldnt want you to have to share with some young german tourist tramper..... or a grizzled old hunter hahahaha

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    Camp at Littles Clearing ( on the roadintowards Makahu hut )
    Hunt back towards Black Birch bivvy, or over the road from the clearing, on th clay pans.
    Iíd be there, but Iím stuck in hospital
    Thanks. I'll have a look at it on Google Earth. Sounds like a good way to spend a couple of days.

    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    oh and if you do head to oamaru thru poronui ...... leave your bolt in your pack , it is a paper road but its just a common courtesy to the land owners they have had trouble with poachers in the past . wish i could get down there but holidays are short and lots a fencing to do closest i will get will be the rifle range for a bit of stress relief. if your confident the tiki tiki area is always productive ..... one of my favorite spots to fly camp. even if you intend on staying at the oamaru take a fly just in case all the bunks are taken......wouldnt want you to have to share with some young german tourist tramper..... or a grizzled old hunter hahahaha
    Depends on if it's a young German lady. I flatted with one. She was nice to say the least.. hahah. I will be sure to take a fly or tarp.
    StagRyan likes this.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    oh and if you do head to oamaru thru poronui ...... leave your bolt in your pack , it is a paper road but its just a common courtesy to the land owners they have had trouble with poachers in the past . wish i could get down there but holidays are short and lots a fencing to do closest i will get will be the rifle range for a bit of stress relief. if your confident the tiki tiki area is always productive ..... one of my favorite spots to fly camp. even if you intend on staying at the oamaru take a fly just in case all the bunks are taken......wouldnt want you to have to share with some young german tourist tramper..... or a grizzled old hunter hahahaha
    What rifles will you be shooting? Did your old man end up selling that lovely browning bar? Was a very smooth lever action and trigger.

  15. #15
    Member scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    the old cheese factory
    Posts
    356
    got a 7.62 x39 ive just made some subs for so want to see how they go......if im really stressed i will take the 8mm mauser (bigger the bang better the stress relief).......the old boy still has his browning , the markets just not there for what he wants for it so hes happy to keep it but hes using a rossi single shot now

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Goat hunting for free north island??
    By Bradak in forum Introductions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-07-2017, 09:54 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14-02-2017, 12:54 PM
  3. North Island Hunting help
    By Chewy270nz in forum Hunting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-06-2015, 11:57 PM
  4. Mid north island hunting
    By James sully in forum Hunting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 28-07-2014, 09:04 PM
  5. North island upland hunting
    By Munsey in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!