Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By bang
  • 5 Post By JoshC
  • 2 Post By Rees

Thread: Any Stags shot in DoC near Makarora lately?

Any Stags shot in DoC near Makarora lately?

Soooo, is it super tight lipped or is it super hard to find a Deer let alone a Stag in the "Wanaka Roar block" Areas?
    or is there only a couple spots which is why its tight lipped?

or am i missin something?

Anyone know of anyone who Shot a Red stag in this Area in the past 5 years

or is it really that bad?

wilkin-young-blue-fish over makarora-wills- sorta area...??

thankin you

That area got snotted by 1080 about 2 yrs ago, and prior to that deer numbers were low. Harvey based in Maka so highly likely it get waro’d heavily given it’s on his back door.

U would b very correct about the waro was in there bout 3 yrs ago seen 1 hind for a week mid roar

We went in there last roar.No animal tracks low anywhere.Spent two days on the tops nothing.Very little bird life like a ghost town.Got picked up on a very sunny day and any deer in their right mind would be out and about, and flew every gully, every top on both sides on the way out and nothing seen.

There’s a very nice stag on the front cover of the latest NZ Hunter mag that’s from an Otago block, probably from over the hill? Personally I wouldn’t bother with blocks around Makarora with HH cleaning them up, pity as the Wilkin is a beautiful area. Although I hear venison prices have tanked at the moment so not much waro happening?
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

That areas been hit twice in the last 2-3 years with 1080

Id be right in saying the Area has been hit within the PAST MONTH for 1080 --- from what gather!? or is this just for possum lol.

what a bugger- thanks guys- hopefully someome has a wee bit better tune to their post lol.. but to be honest, this is such a standard affair now days?!

As we were waiting to fly in last year we were shown a picture of a humongous stag shot the week before in the neighbouring block. i didnt get a chance to count properly, but was upwards of 17 points and thick as. then we had a similar experience to others, covered a lot of ground high and low and didnt see or hear any deer. very little sign, and nothing fresh. reasonable chamois numbers on the tops though. we also noticed a distinct lack of bird life which was quite unusual. general consensus as i understand it is very low numbers, but amazing genetics, and if you can get onto something, theres a good chance it will be a ripper.
    chainsaw and Rees like this.

Amen Bang, i too hear that but is that like living on a prayer??! ha ha

awesome that you seen a trophy come out of there!

i feel like thats the general gist too mate.

how minimal was the sign ya seen? couple weeks old as if shot down by chopper pre roar?

has anybody quoted jet boating up the wilkins for one or two persons? whats that sort of pricing likely to be in the range of?
    an whats the alternative in chopper per person?
    appreciate it fellas

I think Wilkin River jets only have a Squirrel?
    Not sure though.

James Scott charged us $1100 return in a 500 to fly to Durwards Creek from the farm they use as a base down past Jackson. Was pretty good value.
    Pilot chased a roaring stag around on the tops for a while on the way home which was cool.

There's plenty of deer in that country still, just got to find them. We've always seen deer/stags from mid Feb thru April when we've done trips into those various blocks around Makarora/Haast/Lake Hawea. Have left a lot and only shot two or three over the years. Have seen some old stags with big heads that have given us the slip, that's what keeps us going back. Magnificent country to hunt in. Re your query about Jetboat vs. Helicopter, ring Wilken River Jets, they'll give you a price over the phone.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

well only needs to be one! good one
    JoshC and Sideshow like this.