Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Anyone have a contact for tangahoe station?

Hey team.

Many years ago my old foreman took me into Tangahoe station and taught me the basics of hunting etc. Over a few years we went in there a few times, and hunting got its hooks in me pretty deep.

But life got in the way, a few job changes, priorities changing etc I have lost contact with that crowd.

Now I'm in a position to share my experiences with someone, and I would love to go back to where I shot my first deer, and hopefully get someone else thier first deer.

So if anyone knows how to get a hold of Dave, or who ever is running the place I would be grateful. We used to fly in there with mountain air, or helicopter in from Raetehi, or jetboat/walk from Pipiriki, I'll try these guys for some contact info start of next week.

Thanks Lars

The Newtons lost the lease and it reverted to the owners. Look on FB showing their last muster . The daughter is driving the D model. Cool vid.

@TeRei, you are mistaking Mangatoi Station with Tangahoe. Correct the Newtons no longer have the lease of Mangatoi next to the Mokau River. the Station Lars is referring to is on the Whanganui River.

Sorted, thanks team. Yes was the Whanganui river one

A yarn re Tangahoe "Station".Enuff water has passed under the bridge to share it.Funny thing is what passes for a Stn in the Nth Is would merely be called a holding paddock on a proper SI Run.Back to story.In the 80's was shooting out of Karioi Base for FS in the Wanganui/Wakamarino County blocks on goats.It came to the attention on the quiet that the yin trophy operation being run on the Stn had tried to spice things up by illegally liberating Japs flown in with their 180 from their Taupo strip.There was a stink that wouldn't go away with the whole set up.And with FS responsible for animal control on the neighbouring unfenced National Park,they wanted to confirm the whisper,and eradicate them if it was true.But they went about it in a stealthy way without Tangahoes knowledge cause no way would they confirm or deny the liberation.These jokers were real dodgey.For periods the Stn was unoccupied,so we got squirrelled in there by Parks Board jet boat from Pipiriki when it was known that it wasn't occupied.The breif was to snoop around the block to confirm with either sightings or sign, and to boof Japs seen.Then rendezvous with the boat and scarper out of there unnoticed

A yarn re Tangahoe "Station".Enuff water has passed under the bridge to share it.Funny thing is what passes for a Stn in the Nth Is would merely be called a holding paddock on a proper SI Run.Back to story.In the 80's was shooting out of Karioi Base for FS in the Wanganui/Wakamarino County blocks on goats.It came to the attention on the quiet that the yin trophy operation being run on the Stn had tried to spice things up by illegally liberating Japs flown in with their 180 from their Taupo strip.There was a stink that wouldn't go away with the whole set up.And with FS responsible for animal control on the neighbouring unfenced National Park,they wanted to confirm the whisper,and eradicate them if it was true.But they went about it in a stealthy way without Tangahoes knowledge cause no way would they confirm or deny the liberation.These jokers were real dodgey.For periods the Stn was unoccupied,so we got squirrelled in there by Parks Board jet boat from Pipiriki when it was known that it wasn't occupied.The breif was to snoop around the block to confirm with either sightings or sign, and to boof Japs seen.Then rendezvous with the boat and scarper out of there unnoticed

Sorry fked up.Cont.It was common knowledge that these jokers( gang connected whispers) would deal out natural justice if they caught you red handed straying inside the block and it soon became obvious why.The fly in "Safari" operation was nothing more than a front to mask their real activity of growing in a large commercial way with numerous tunnel houses scattered all over the block and we had stumbled onto it.Rapidly did the Jap survey and got the hell out of it.None seen or shot.The information was passed up the chain to Plod who busted the whole cartel (they were known to police)after a length surveillance,and sting op.,We weren't involved in the court case and kept a low profile in the scrub.Seem to remember the property was forfeited to the crown.Others might be able to elaborate

BTW any other ex FS hunters on here shoot out of Karioi EF?

Remember the drug bust well!
    Our neibours were involved!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Google it and it comes up too