Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: anyone hunted with a 30 30

anyone hunted with a 30 30

has anyone hunted with a 30-30. hear they make a good bush gun?

Been there, done that - fail! Unless you're a dedicated pig hunter I wouldn't bother.

kj
    Munsey and Twoshotkill like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Been there, done that - fail! Unless you're a dedicated pig hunter I wouldn't bother.

kj
    Horseshit.....you need to point them in the right direction and they do good

never used one myslef but kinda seems like it has no advantages but lots of disadvantages when compared to other bush calibres like 308...

Much like the 22hornet vs 223 imo

I think you are being a bit harsh on the old "thutty thutty!"

They are great bush rifles, you just have to accept them for what they are, normally iron sighted so max probably 150m (depending on how good you are with irons), they are light short handy rifles with plenty of punch for most of our NZ game, however they will never be the 7mm super turbo ninja magnum with a 1-56x60 scope on it that is normally recommended as a bush rifle on forums!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I like the sound of the 7mm stnm. Whats it pushing the 162s? who has a reamer for it? I have a win mod 94 trapper 30/30 with iron sights. never hunted with it but i could probably kill something out to 100m. It does all its work at 10m on sick cows. One day im going to leave my ninja magnum at home and take my 30/30 casing tahr

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    I like the sound of the 7mm stnm. Whats it pushing the 162s? who has a reamer for it?
    4800fps, you can't use amax as they turn inside out as they leave the muzzle! It is made by sleeving a 20mm cannon, brass is straight necked down 20mm brass, holds 1200gr of water!
    Wildman, Savage1, ebf and 2 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Hahaha!!!! 1200gr water. You made me spit out my biscuit.

i use 7.62x39 in the bush, which has ballistics very similar to the 30 30. put a reflex dot sight on if you dont like the iron sights. as long as you use these calibres as they were intended (up to 150) they are great bush guns in my opinion.
    Timmay and Spudattack like this.
    Hey diddle diddle, aim for the middle.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I believe Carlson, who is a member here has done considerable hunting with a 30 30, it maybe worth giving him a pm if you are after some info.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by outinabout View Post
    i use 7.62x39 in the bush, which has ballistics very similar to the 30 30. put a reflex dot sight on if you dont like the iron sights. as long as you use these calibres as they were intended (up to 150) they are great bush guns in my opinion.
    My uncle use to hunt with Winchester 94 in 30/30 ,as outinabout said great to 150m but forget about anything past that.More than what you need for bush hunting ,the big old flat nose projectile seemed to flatten all he shot at.
    Gun control means using both hands

I've shot plenty of deer and pigs with my old 30/30, but its such a compromised weapon when compared to say a .308 bolt action with a 2-7x33 scope.

Both weigh about the same, the bolt action is possibly lighter than the clunky ol lever gun. And with out a scope its hard to check out what that brown dot on that far away slip is, let alone even dream of hitting it.

I don't see any advantage in llimiting yourself to 100m when most centrefires will point and shoot right out to 300m with a 3'' high zero at 100m and a cheap scope attached.

kj
    Scouser likes this.

From what I understand , at one stage the 3030 had taken more deer in the US than any other calibre (possibly all calibres put together ) and will continue too do sofor many years too come.
    The problem today is there are too many shooters out there and not so many hunters .
    The 94 is a handy little repeater , light ,fast and accurate and a fantastic little bush gun in the hands of a HUNTER .
    Sold mine cause it was gutless compared too a 6.5 swede.
    Bought a rossi 92 in 357mag too use in the bush , but still got the sweed for now.

A lot of hunters use the old dirty thirty in the states... But then again from a tree stand most shots are twenty to fifty meters. They are convenient to carry on a quad and pull up the stand on a cord. Not saying they are suited to NZ but it is a different kettle of fish

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    From what I understand , at one stage the 3030 had taken more deer in the US than any other calibre (possibly all calibres put together ) and will continue too do sofor many years too come.
    The problem today is there are too many shooters out there and not so many hunters .
    The 94 is a handy little repeater , light ,fast and accurate and a fantastic little bush gun in the hands of a HUNTER .
    Sold mine cause it was gutless compared too a 6.5 swede.
    Bought a rossi 92 in 357mag too use in the bush , but still got the sweed for now.
    I've personally owned (and hunted with all of them) the following lever actions:

Marlin 30/30
    Ruger .22magnum
    Winchester 94 30/30
    Winchester 92 44/40
    Winchester 94 .22lr
    Winchester trapper 94 30/30
    Marlin 44mag
    Rossi (blued) 44mag
    Rossi (SS) 44mag
    Rossi (SS) .38/357

All were ''fun'' to use, but it was just a phase I went through. I would have shot a hundred or so deer/pigs between all those lever actions and the .38spl Rossi had well over 2000 goats to its name....but I now look back and laugh at myself for holding onto the those rifles for so long. The day I sold them all and went back to using a suppressed bolt action for general hunting was ''a moment of clarity'' and I've never looked back.

kj
    lloydcj likes this.