Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By tiroahunta
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY
  • 3 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By timattalon

Thread: Armed walking

Armed walking

I am based in chch and I am looking to stretch the legs more. I am not after anyone spot X. Not really after hunting per se. I am looking for some knowledge on relatively easy walking tracks to huts (DOC). Preferrably huts that if they are occupied, I can carry on to anther hut etc. I have been to a couple of DOC huts, but am looking at exploring more area. Again, not hunting so much. If I was to see goats etc then protein could be on the menu but the point is to spend some time outdoors.

Wondering what huts are accessible as I build my fitness and experience. I am not looking for a full day gut buster up ridges and down dale, but almost more tramping oriented. I will head in and talk to the local DOC office at some point but thought there is so much experience onhere that it would be worth a try.

Up until last year, I worked varied shifts and as such, most of my time off was during the week when most of my buddies would be working. Now that I get weekends off for the first time in 30 years< I thought I might try seeing more of what NZ has to offer out doors.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Plenty of walking in the St James area, quite a lot of the walking I do is off track though, not as many huts on this side but plenty on the walkway. Also Nina area up the Lewis has a few huts.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Plenty of walking in the St James area, quite a lot of the walking I do is off track though, not as many huts on this side but plenty on the walkway. Also Nina area up the Lewis has a few huts.
    Cheers. Will be worth a look at. As mentioned, probably more akin to tramping. I like hunting but for some time now I have found I dont care if I get food or not. The biggest thrill for me is simply being out there. As such I am looking to expand my horizons of where I have visited etc, I even have a tent or two that I have never used....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Tim, the spot x books provide some excellent information on access as does the DoC map site https://maps.doc.govt.nz/externalmap...?viewer=docmap you can select the "maps" checkbox and it will show you all the huts in the area.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    Tim, the spot x books provide some excellent information on access as does the DoC map site https://maps.doc.govt.nz/externalmap...?viewer=docmap you can select the "maps" checkbox and it will show you all the huts in the area.

Cheers
    Cheers
    I had a look at DoC website, but I have trouble telling how challenging the walk to the huts will be. I have been to the Benmore Hut and I thought there was another past that but apparently not. I looked at the map at the Bealy spur through to Cass track and huts. But without knowing the area very well, this would be something I would talk to DOC about, but anyone on here with info I will glady 'listen'.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Cheers
    I had a look at DoC website, but I have trouble telling how challenging the walk to the huts will be. I have been to the Benmore Hut and I thought there was another past that but apparently not. I looked at the map at the Bealy spur through to Cass track and huts. But without knowing the area very well, this would be something I would talk to DOC about, but anyone on here with info I will glady 'listen'.
    Did a walk there n back to the Bealy ??? Hut (walk up the river bed) as a overnight. Not overly taxing (was 20 years ago). Then walked up to the tops(as it were). There is a hut further on (up in the hills). Apparently quite a popular walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    timattalon likes this.

A little north of Christchurch but good weekend get aways
    Big River Hut, Montgomerie Hut, Kirwans Hut, Reefton
    Cannibal Gorge Hut, Ada Pass Hut, St James
    Mason Nichols Hut, Springs Junction
    Lake Guyon Hut, Stanley Vale Hut, Maling Pass Rainbow
    Take a small tent or a tarp, if the hut is full walk on for an hour and set up camp. You don't always need a hut.
    Aim for huts 3 or so hours away from road ends, take the day to get there, who is counting.
    If you were heading Springs Junction, St James area and want a walking companion give me a yell, alweays after exccuses for walks.
    timattalon likes this.

I'm guessing its a bit of a confidence thing, so tackle it like anything new. The suggestion to take a tarp or tent and be prepared to sleep on the track was how we started off, and it did happen a few times with no ill effects. The big thing is not to push on and get so buggered you aren't thinking straight.
    tetawa, Boaraxa and timattalon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I'm guessing its a bit of a confidence thing, so tackle it like anything new. The suggestion to take a tarp or tent and be prepared to sleep on the track was how we started off, and it did happen a few times with no ill effects. The big thing is not to push on and get so buggered you aren't thinking straight.
    I have sent time in the hills but most has been on private land or at family property and hence accomodation was rather spoiling me. (When the batch has 3 bedrooms it is not roughing it....) I have a fairly good idea of my limits et, but yes, confidence in being somewhere I am not familiar with is some of it.

Thank you to all for your help. There is some real promising places to start here. God I love this country...
    Frogfeatures likes this.

ebf
    Cheers
    An easy way to gage a track is to count the contour lines. Learn how to identify incline and decline on topo, and you can get a very good idea of the effort involved.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

My cousin said Victoria forest park is good for a chamois but been 1080'd a lot so not much deer.

I would forget Molesworth blocks too as its getting hit in May

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    I would forget Molesworth blocks too as its getting hit in May
    Again.....

Again.....
    Yes it sure is Again