Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree30Likes
  • 1 Post By Hunteast
  • 10 Post By Phill243
  • 6 Post By Bol Tackshin
  • 5 Post By woods223
  • 3 Post By 300CALMAN
  • 1 Post By garyp
  • 1 Post By Bobba
  • 3 Post By Jake77

Thread: Article in RNZ on poisoning from eating animals shot with lead loads

Article in RNZ on poisoning from eating animals shot with lead loads

Cites that 10-50% of animals shot abroad had traces of lead in it, encourages going with lead free ammo

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/country/4...-warns-hunters

Bowhunter myself, just seemed worthy of a look.

No real surprise really, just that many of us did not consider the risk of lead contamination from bullet fragments until the internet came about to share this info. A guy in Nelson about 3 years ago was the one that got media attention with his high lead level in his blood who was a regular hunter. Hence many of my deer shot in the front shoulder over the years and even before this became a raised issue - i just leave those front legs and take the rest. No need to be so picky for ones long term health. But i wasn't so fussy further back in the day either. Look and learn.
    Remote likes this.

That x-ray pic is a bit alarming. Surely that represents a worst case example of blowing apart on impact?

Shoot the deer in the head like I do . Problem solved . I assure you that same hunter that had high levels of lead had done work around cars or houses throughout his life and got a lead buildup from lead paint or the likes . What they don't tell you is all the other worse shit for you that they put in food that you buy every day from the supermarket . This world has just gone absolutely crazy .

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    tetawa, Pengy, deer243 and 7 others like this.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 343
Size:  70.1 KB
    Beaker, 300CALMAN, Pixie Z and 3 others like this.

Bits of lead still show up in x-rays of my-self, result of historic firearms incidents. Some of this lead has been in place for in excess of 40 years. Due to my work situation I used to have full blood tests, including for heavy metals, generally 6 monthly but annually last few years. I have never had an abnormal blood test result an am in reasonable health for my age and life-style so I tend to eye these reports and research papers with some scepticism.The only problems I've had with lead is a broken tooth from biting down on lead pellet in duck meat, the problem is far worse with steel shot. As to other shot game, I leave any meat that's obviously bullet damaged because it's not worth eating anyway. Just my own thought's regarding the matter.
    Pengy, Beaker, sharps no 1 and 2 others like this.

That article is full of holes I will write them an email.
    Beaker, Tommy and RV1 like this.

See article on this in latest Rod and Rifle magazine.
    Bent Barrel likes this.

And don't forgot all brass plumbing fittings are allowed to have up to 4% lead in them. This is set to change but we've all been drinking the stuff for years.
    RV1 likes this.

There is another thread on this in the off topic chat

Have read a few articles around this and does make me be extra cautious about shot placement and leaving a big buffer around obvious bullet damage. Prob give some of the copper projectiles a go when it gets back in stock, was looking at the GMX factory loads and reviews online sounded decent and price is comparable to the lead based stuff I’m using so not harm trying.

Cigarettes are generally accepted nowadays as not ideal for health despite most of us knowing some old timers who puffed happily into old age. Similarly discounting the risk of lead based on anecdotal accounts of having lead exposure for years with no apparent harm seems a bit short sighted given the science has been showing it is not good for us for a very long time. Agree it is probably a minor concern given all the other shit we chuck onto the environment but be good to see more research in this. Like the idea of sending a mince sample to the Nelson researchers to find out what is in my freezer.

This article is again a bit patchy but gives a useful overview of how political this issue has got in the states with the fear of any gun control leads to a general distrust of science - though no doubt the US anti-gun lobby will jump on the issue as another lever to help their cause.
    https://www.ehn.org/amp/lead-ammunit...eat-2645108170
    Dama dama, Cordite and Strummer like this.