Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By hebe
  • 1 Post By Mark M
  • 2 Post By Sika Seeker
  • 1 Post By TLB

Thread: August sika hunting

August sika hunting

Hey guys planning a trip in August because it coincides with a time that works for everyone in the party. One of the boys is super keen to hunt sika and the rest of us are just as happy to go after them too. My question is what is sika hunting like in August? Thinking about flying in somewhere either with HS or EKH. Can anyone give me some tips or even block suggestions?
    Regards John

Would suggest the tops will be out, would also suggest a hut with a fire.... have done a late August in the Kaimanawa, nice weather but cold, plenty of deer moving about

Gs luck

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    ANTSMAN, erniec and superdiver like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I did a week last august in the harkness area. No shortage of deer around but was bloody cold. Nothing was using tops or open country and all the deer I found were around the 900 m contour in the bush. As Hamish said, get into a spot with a fire , you'll need it.

Good luck
    superdiver likes this.

It’s essentially still “winter” hunting- like others have said sunny faces and if you find sign they will be close.
    superdiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    I did a week last august in the harkness area. No shortage of deer around but was bloody cold. Nothing was using tops or open country and all the deer I found were around the 900 m contour in the bush. As Hamish said, get into a spot with a fire , you'll need it.

Good luck
    This, have done well in that area in winter. They will come out I to the open still, not up high though. If its a sunny afternoon always worth watching a good sunny slip or Tussock gully

Try get a low block. Otapua, footy field, Oamaru, mangaroa, mangatainoka 2? Those are helisika . I’ve been into the otapua in August. Nice block can give you some info on it if you decide to go there
    ANTSMAN and superdiver like this.

TLB
    July through until late October are definitely the hardest months to track them down. As the mountain beech study showed, Sika can have a very small home range and move around bugger all in order to slow their metabolism in order to conserve energy. That said, once you find sign they will not be far away!
    hebe likes this.