Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Baikal .243 Opinions?

Baikal .243 Opinions?

The wife, just coming up to her 60th birthday, decided, on her own volition, to get her Firearms Licence. There was no suggestion or influence on my part at all, honest to god. Her decision, actually quite blindsided me. Everything has been done and we now just wait for her application to be processed and the magic piece of plastic to arrive.

Long story short. Between the two of us we have decided that she should start with a .243 Why? Well she only weighs in at 69 kg, she has no experience with firearms at all, and she is determined to go for deer; has no interest in rabbits or other varmits at this time.

Again, mutual decision, though mainly hers, a simple, safe, cheap, single shot is what she would like. Immediately I thought of a Bergara BA-13 takedown, as we go tramping and it would be good in a pack, but I see a Baikal .243 on Trademe. It is 8 years old but never taken out of its original box.

Price is not my thoughts here, as if the price of the auction goes to is anything like a Bergara, the Bergara would win hands down for me; but what are others thoughts of the Baikal .243 in general? Anyone have any experience? Are they safe and accurate? I believe they are a little agricultural in feel and appearance, but nothing that a little work and polishing wouldn't fix.

Looking for a first rifle, for a light, inexperienced (hunting guys, hunting), young 60 year, gorgeous woman to take deer at maximum 200 meters.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Phil
    jakewire and Sako851 like this.

From what i have heard they are reasonable shooters but yes slightly agricultural no personal experience on my part.
    However the bergara on the other hand is a class act all the way, nice trigger, stainless and superbly accurate. Definitely suppress it though as they are roudy with the short barrel.
    bing and Phil_H like this.

If you really love her go for a Blaser K95, would tick all the boxes.

had a baikal now it isnt in the safe anymore, have a bergara and its staying... bergara just have a bit more class and less agricultural.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    From what i have heard they are reasonable shooters but yes slightly agricultural no personal experience on my part.
    However the bergara on the other hand is a class act all the way, nice trigger, stainless and superbly accurate. Definitely suppress it though as they are roudy with the short barrel.
    Yes, I have noted your love of your Bergara's in the past, and unless I am mistaken, your first deer was with the .223 ?

I have to agree, the Bergara is the preferred option, but I note a new Baikal .223 going for $499 in GunCity, which while not a .243 should be indicative of price. The best price I have found on a Bergara .243 has been $875

If the Baikal were to come in at somewhere like $300 I would have to give it serious consideration. Much over that and it is Bergara all the way.

Chhers
    Phil
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    If you really love her go for a Blaser K95, would tick all the boxes.
    I really do love her, I can assure you of that. However, she is a little Scottish when it comes to finance. If I were to spend the money that I suspect they want for a Blaser, I am not sure her love would be returned ....:-)

I'm gonna get a Bergara soon, so will let you know. They're no heirlooms, but they're not meant to be. Basically the Tikka T3 of singleshots.

K95's are only entry level class. If you're truly serious you'd get something from Ferlach; made by Hambrusch, Borovnik, Fanzoj etc.
    dannyb likes this.

Make sure if you get a Bergara that it is the takedown version. It is really nice being able to strap your rifle to the side of the pack and not have the barrel sticking up above your head wacking on branches.

The main problem with the Baikal is the very heavy trigger. It is heavier than the rifle. That would make it very difficult for a new hunter to shoot with any hope of accuracy and monumentally frustrating. Yes, I have experience with the Baikal single shot rifle trigger(s).
    northdude and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Yes, I have noted your love of your Bergara's in the past, and unless I am mistaken, your first deer was with the .223 ?

I have to agree, the Bergara is the preferred option, but I note a new Baikal .223 going for $499 in GunCity, which while not a .243 should be indicative of price. The best price I have found on a Bergara .243 has been $875

If the Baikal were to come in at somewhere like $300 I would have to give it serious consideration. Much over that and it is Bergara all the way.

Chhers
    Phil
    Just be aware that if you buy a baikal you will need to factor in a trigger job and threading and suppressor unless those things have already been done.

I am also looking for a single shot 243. Not keen on baikel, what other options are out there in wood blue?

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    I am also looking for a single shot 243. Not keen on baikel, what other options are out there in wood blue?
    Blaser K95 ????

Blaser K95 | Stager Sport Australasia

Cheers
    Phil

thompson contender could be another option
    rewa likes this.

Bugger all (especially in NZ ) and some can be pretty spendy.
    There are a few American ones that are prob the cheapest, Thompson contender, H&R, New England Firearms
    My brother had an H&R .270 wood blued that shot OK, don't know about .243 though.
    For the European the Haenal Jeager 9 is probably one of the cheaper ones but still several thousand and would be a special order. Then you have Blaser, Merkel, Kreighoff and a few others but all in the $6k plus range. Then the small European gunmakers.
    You might be able to find a Brno single shot kicking around somewhere.

Wood/blue options.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    rewa likes this.