Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Basic deer hunting info

Basic deer hunting info

New to the page but a well traveled hunter. I'm Canadian from Alberta who's hunted most of our big game with a bow but I dont have the first clue of what to expect with hunting the roar here in nz. I have plans to head to the southern alps in March to try and find a nice red with my bow. I Dont know where to go, what kind of weather to expect, deer behavior or stag hunting dos and dont's. I'm an experienced outdoorsman but survival tips from locals and any other information or would be greatly appreciated.

Jump on the department of conservation website, has quite a lot of info you want. As to weather plan for terrible and if you don't get it your lucky. March is the start of Autumn here and some times March is nice and settled other times it can get wet and miserable. You also won't be the only one in the alps. Several hundred hunters descend upon the alps every March and April. Take note of the ballot system for some areas. Leave trip intentions with someone local if you can. Hire or buy a PLB and have fun..
    Bagheera and tetawa like this.

Welcome @Dainer
    You are going to need good fitness! Good boots! Also recommended a PLB.
    Don’t take the rivers for granted, in flood there a real killer and it just takes a bit of rain for that to happen.
    Cheers and enjoy.
    Bagheera likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Banned
    Where are you intending to be in the Southern Alps? I will be out there somewhere as well.

Thanks for all the advice. Not sure where I'll be really, i gotta bow only so I'm not getting my Hope's up of getting within 50 meters of a world class stag so I'm more so looking for a larger quantity of decent stags rather than a couple huge boys.

Have you considered bow hunting in the North Island? I say this because, overall, I usually see more good red stags per day in certain N Island location than I do in the south.

Whilst this is an instinctive kind of response, I did “fact check” it with a mate who hunts the S Island public land much more than I do (I generally go down there twice a year, just after the Roar when everyone has gone home, and in late winter, early spring). His view was that good public land stags are increasingly hard to find unless you chopper in or are prepared to do a full on 2-3 week hike in, hike out.

Others here will be sure to disagree, all good. But I can think of two areas in the north that, if I were asked to make a recommendation to Canadian bow hunting relatives of mine, I’d nominate ahead of the S Island any day.

Just food for thought. If you’re set on the South, no worries.

Carry a PLB!
    dogmatix and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Have you considered bow hunting in the North Island? I say this because, overall, I usually see more good red stags per day in certain N Island location than I do in the south.

Whilst this is an instinctive kind of response, I did “fact check” it with a mate who hunts the S Island public land much more than I do (I generally go down there twice a year, just after the Roar when everyone has gone home, and in late winter, early spring). His view was that good public land stags are increasingly hard to find unless you chopper in or are prepared to do a full on 2-3 week hike in, hike out.

Others here will be sure to disagree, all good. But I can think of two areas in the north that, if I were asked to make a recommendation to Canadian bow hunting relatives of mine, I’d nominate ahead of the S Island any day.

Just food for thought. If you’re set on the South, no worries.

Carry a PLB!
    True! I'm living in Auckland currently. I'm new to the page but could you PM me some details?

Yeap north island. Theres no deer in the South Island
    veitnamcam, ethos, tetawa and 7 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Yeap north island. Theres no deer in the South Island
    Toooo many "gun" hunters.

What Flyblown said, plenty of opportunities for a bow in the North Island. Reds, Fallow, Sika etc.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Ok I'll disagree with flyblown on this one.

You're unlikely to get a nice red on your first trip down south.

But you will get great scenery and mountains that just arent there in the north. It's well worth going even if deer prospects are fewer. At a rough guess from my experience red deer densities are 4x higher in the north island. Just better climate and ecosystem productivity.

I'd suggest a training trip or two if you're in auckland. Walk in to the main range of the tararuas like a southern crossing or up to dundas hut ( good preparation for the SI west coast) then a visit preferably crossing the range in the rimutakas like over south saddle or boulder ck (not the papatahi track) as that's the only place in the north island at all like the SI east coast. Both these will be easier country than the main Southern Alps. Easier country down south is the Lewis Pass.

When you say you are looking for large quantities of decent stags, are you hoping to shoot large quantities or just view with the hopes of seeing animals and taking one or two?

Banned
    He's Canadian and a bowhunter, you can assume that's what he meant. No ones going to shoot all your deer.
    veitnamcam, ethos, Gibo and 2 others like this.

Not my deer mate. Just wanted to understand what he meant. I only asked a question and I don't assume to know what anyone thinks.
    Steve123 likes this.

check out DVDs by the Graf boys on hunting reds...they have some great footage roaring up stags pretty darn undie staining close and the scene when Dad has a moment or 6 with bow will be priceless for you. as for north or south....its different country to be sure. probably better chance up north UNLESS you can fluke a haast balot block etc.