Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Best 7mm projectile for shooting large deer

Best 7mm projectile for shooting large deer

I was wondering what would be the ideal projectile for a 9.5 twist 7mm for hunting large deer, normally the heaviest around 160gr is recommended for that twist , i've tried the 168gr Berger but i shot a scrub bull in the chest and the projectile exploded on a rib bone leaving a gaping hole and had to be shot again, on closer inspection the projectile hadn't gone deep at all but probably would have been lethal but thats not ethical to me , so i was wondering if one of you blokes that use 7mm on bigger deer may have a favorite projectile around the 160gr that has been ideal for you in this area price won't be a problem as i only use them for heavy animals and the 154gr Hornady sp for every day things, i'll appreciate any help cheers

Caretaker
    Hornady 162g ELD-X
    hotsoup likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

what you need is something DESIGNED for big stuff at assumably fast speed???? eg 7mm mag and sub 100 yards.....
    woodley make big heavy projectiles so do lots of folks...off top of head if put on spot I would say heaviest partition you can get or a reasonably heavy mono...but not stuidly so...say 150grn???
    you see by not giving us all the info you could be using a 7mmstw at lightening speed or a 7mm waters at walking pace...VERY different projectile requirements.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I use the Berger 168gr Classic Hunters in my .284 on deer and have no problems, I also use 140gr Berger VLD Hunting in my 708 and no problems

Shot placement is key, don't judge the Bergers on ya scrub bull experience.

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    tetawa and chainsaw like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Yeah Micky Duck mate i have a standard 7 mag and use it for scrub cattle, shots can be from 50m to 450m i don't shoot them any further out , too risky for bad shots, i was thinking that a large deer would be a good comparison to a meedioker scrubber, i have tried the eldx 162 but found them to be a little hit and miss at times, i've also tried the tsx but in my rifle they leave a lot of copper behind, maybe i'm expecting too much from projectiles but was hoping i could find a good allrounder , i bought some oryx but they are hard to get and are a little bit like the eldx, i'm not necessarily chasing speed just something tried and tested and will go deep and be fatal that stands out above the other projectiles, I know it all depends on who you ask so i'll just have to weigh up all the info given to me

G'day HNTMAD yes i'm hearin you mate but i've had a few bad experiences with them, I wouldn't judge them unless i was absolutely sure they were not the projectile for this job i've used them on smaller pests and they perform perfect but on hard boned animals it's only my opinion they're too soft and as you said shot placement is key, thats why i won't go out past 450m for a shot
    HNTMAD likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by rigga View Post
    I was wondering what would be the ideal projectile for a 9.5 twist 7mm for hunting large deer, normally the heaviest around 160gr is recommended for that twist , i've tried the 168gr Berger but i shot a scrub bull in the chest and the projectile exploded on a rib bone leaving a gaping hole and had to be shot again, on closer inspection the projectile hadn't gone deep at all but probably would have been lethal but thats not ethical to me , so i was wondering if one of you blokes that use 7mm on bigger deer may have a favorite projectile around the 160gr that has been ideal for you in this area price won't be a problem as i only use them for heavy animals and the 154gr Hornady sp for every day things, i'll appreciate any help cheers
    Nosler 160 g Accubond
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

+1 for the 160 accubond

Bugger the vlds didn't work for you as I reckon they are spot on. Shot a few cattle with them now, all chest shots and never had a problem. Smoked plenty big reds at all ranges also, but most of the time shot placement is key with any cal and bullet

Thanks for the info fella's i'll look into it and try a few , thanks again

Those new Terminal Accent bullets from Federal (I Think) sound pretty good. I don't know a lot about them but from all accounts they penetrate well and are accurate with a good BC. Worth checking out.
    csmiffy likes this.

160gr accubonds.

Partition (old tech but boy they work well) or TLR

As above, 160 g Accubonds...
    See the unseen...

Swift A Frame 150 grain an 'improved partition '