Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Best realistic walk ins for Auckland hunters?

Best realistic walk ins for Auckland hunters?

Its been 25 years, still getting my gear sorted, hoping to find mature tea tottler mates like me to hunt with. I spearfish a lot so have something to trade ha.

Anyway, what is the best REGULAR walk in for Aucklanders, south of Taupo? Any tips of ranges not too hard to walk into that definitely hold dear year round? If its going to feed me for a long time I dont mind a long drive, if its worth it.

How much is a fly in price usually? Im trying to keep this low cost and about hunter gatherer.

Im not familiar with any deer spots in the far north but thats where I plan to retire in 15 years. Either that or Marlborough region as I enjoy gold prospecting.

Id rather not have to fly in, as with my spearing and kina, scallop gathering I want this to be about the hunter gatherer LEGIT lifestyle. Once out of our apartment I will get a chicken coup too.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    You certainly have a lot of walk in options in the Rotorua - Taupo / central north island area with a number of different game animal species. My suggestion would be to invest some time into reading the Mark Draper - Mark Airey book Spot X. I have a copy of the second edition that you are welcome to have for a cup of coffee.
    dogmatix and Woody like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

South of Taupo, I would say Clements Road, but then if I was Auckland based I would hunt the Kaimai's...as for fly in, too expensive if meat hunting.

Would any other option by to come down to Wang's and pay a $100 per deer to get a wild deer on a farm to get back into hunting, even flying you still mite not get on to then yet alone geting one.
    veitnamcam, Steve123 and norsk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    Would any other option by to come down to Wang's and pay a $100 per deer to get a wild deer on a farm to get back into hunting, even flying you still mite not get on to then yet alone geting one.
    That is way cheaper than flying in...but I do enjoy the whole fly in thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Land2Sea View Post
    Its been 25 years, still getting my gear sorted, hoping to find mature tea tottler mates like me to hunt with. I spearfish a lot so have something to trade ha.

Anyway, what is the best REGULAR walk in for Aucklanders, south of Taupo? Any tips of ranges not too hard to walk into that definitely hold dear year round? If its going to feed me for a long time I dont mind a long drive, if its worth it.

How much is a fly in price usually? Im trying to keep this low cost and about hunter gatherer.

Im not familiar with any deer spots in the far north but thats where I plan to retire in 15 years. Either that or Marlborough region as I enjoy gold prospecting.

Id rather not have to fly in, as with my spearing and kina, scallop gathering I want this to be about the hunter gatherer LEGIT lifestyle. Once out of our apartment I will get a chicken coup too.
    If you are living in Auckland - forget low cost...Head to Marlborough for retirement - plenty more hunter-gatherer opportunities and less "Aucklander or ex-Aucklander types." Anytime you have to travel for 5 hours (just to get out of Auckland on a long-weekend sometimes) it's no longer purely cost-driven.
    Gerbs, Steve123 and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    If you are living in Auckland - forget low cost...Head to Marlborough for retirement - plenty more hunter-gatherer opportunities and less "Aucklander or ex-Aucklander types." Anytime you have to travel for 5 hours (just to get out of Auckland on a long-weekend sometimes) it's no longer purely cost-driven.
    This is what I found.......

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    South of Taupo, I would say Clements Road, but then if I was Auckland based I would hunt the Kaimai's...as for fly in, too expensive if meat hunting.
    If you genuinely want/need meat, flying isnt a bad option, Venison schedule at works currently sitting at about $10-$12/kg (Schedule is bone-in, "on the hook" prices) translate that to end consumer prices and youre looking at $30 easy, fly in and come out with 30kg of meat..... plus you get the experience of some time in the hills which in my view is priceless
    blake, Steve123, norsk and 2 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    If you genuinely want/need meat, flying isnt a bad option, Venison schedule at works currently sitting at about $10-$12/kg (Schedule is bone-in, "on the hook" prices) translate that to end consumer prices and youre looking at $30 easy, fly in and come out with 30kg of meat..... plus you get the experience of some time in the hills which in my view is priceless
    If I spent less time supping this and more time hunting

Name:  IMG_2360.JPG
Views: 567
Size:  373.6 KB

But we were flying in style so why not

Name:  IMG_2345.JPG
Views: 555
Size:  387.0 KB

MB
    Reading with interest. I have a 2.5 hour drive to get to Auckland before I even think about hunting spots. Having thought about it a bit, fly in makes so much sense for me given time limitations.
    Steve123 and ZQLewis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Reading with interest. I have a 2.5 hour drive to get to Auckland before I even think about hunting spots. Having thought about it a bit, fly in makes so much sense for me given time limitations.
    "Time limitations" go out the window if the fly boys cant come and get you due to weather, I have spent the odd day or two waiting for the plane or chopper.

A meat hunt is not a bad option. Using a tank of gas anyway driving half way down the island, this way at least you know you are going to come home with meat for couple hundred extra dollars.
    The joys of living in the big smoke
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I always reckoned venison cost me about $300 a pound, what with multiple rifles, practice ammo, a dog and all it's costs, 4x4 to look the part, fixed and rotary wing costs, the clothing, the list goes on.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    "Time limitations" go out the window if the fly boys cant come and get you due to weather, I have spent the odd day or two waiting for the plane or chopper.
    Well, if I'm stuck up a mountain somewhere, there's not much I can do about it. Work will have to suck it up
    blake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Well, if I'm stuck up a mountain somewhere, there's not much I can do about it. Work will have to suck it up
    "Work" can be very non understanding when one does not show up, and don't always think you can just phone in...the best hunting is outside of cell phone coverage.