Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 15 Post By Treefeller
  • 5 Post By Treefeller

Thread: Big fat red stag

Big fat red stag

How’s it!

Went out for hunt last weekend and was actually pig hunting as that’s what I do primarily BUT this particular day I came across fresh pig rooting and right next to that ? A bedding area covered in deer shit dogs disappeared 600m from our location a short moment later we hear crashing my mind instantly thinks here comes our pig. (Happens often) so I put a round up to spout of the 223. Crashing is getting close know instinctively my eyes are looking down low for a pig then this bloody stag comes charging out I’m tracking him through the thick trees in the scope but no clear shot and I’m glad I waited as before I knew it he was charging out across the track and I lined him up where the shot placement was. Was anyone’s guess at that distance 6 meters max just his shoulder took up my whole scope so as the brown hair filled my scope I let rip and he fell flat on his face and started kicking out I gave him a minute before aproching as he was a very large animal. Once the adrenaline calmed I realised just how big he was. It was the size of a horse I gutted him and found the shot had gone straight some how not touching any bone put a small hole through his heart and then.... hit bone and and blew the projectile to bits ! His heart was about as big as my head! (Good eating that!!) I then went to cut the head off I’ve only ever shot the odd hind or spiker but this guy was a 12 pointer so that was a bonus!!! I’m not about all that as I just like shooting for the meat but I’m not going to deny that getting this head was very memorable even if I didn’t stalk it and “earn” it but hey a deer is a deer. Two of us couldn’t physically lift him even on to the tail gate. We cut the carcass in half and even that was a mission to lift. once lifted on to the truck we waited on the dogs obviously lost the pig as they went 1.4km in total! Went to shut the tail gate and this fat deer had bent it all out of shape. I got a lot of meat off this animal and the fat was easily a inch thick!!!
    Name:  B81B0955-98E7-4689-B1C6-B5820D72906E.jpeg
Views: 850
Size:  8.52 MB
    Shootm, Tahr, Kiwi Greg and 12 others like this.

Good on ya should be nice eating.

wicked yarn bro, awesome animal

Great stuff
    When hunting think safety first

good on ya mate

Nicely done, I see by them boots in the photo your handle is your profession. Ever had stags during the roar mistake the sound of a chainsaw for that of the competition?

Last edited by Dunedin hunter; 16-02-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunedin hunter View Post
    Hey mate nah never have I’m saying that we are normal planting trees during the roar!
    Posted from the wrong account, Cody?

that’s what happens when you use the computer and ya little brother stays logged in on mums computer haha But nah never happened

Here’s me and @Dunedin hunter last time we went out. We went trout fishing I taught him and our younger brother about camping I don’t get to see them much since I work away so it’s nice when we do get out

Name:  9239B233-B387-43D6-BD3F-6413749CF25E.jpeg
Views: 442
Size:  1.54 MB
    Pengy, ROKTOY, 7mm Rem Mag and 2 others like this.

Good yarn. And good on you for taking the kids out.

Nice to get an easy freezer filler. Well?? Easily shot, getting it in the truck sounded harder.

It will be good eating, thanks for posting.