Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Black Beauty's Longest Kill

Black Beauty's Longest Kill

Well I think I'm well and truly into this roar thing now eh..

Short and sweet, been hunting a new pozzie for a few months now and noticing a few animals about. About four weeks ago I took to the bush and roared up my first stag! It was epic. I didn't realise how close we were (40yards) until it was too late. I got a pretty good look at him, reckon he was a young ten, before he bolted.

Returned two weeks later and hunted my usual morning pozzie that evening. Saw a few hinds 700+ away, then spotted two hinds at 450. Hummed and hawed and decided we needed the meat and I've been shooting the gong at 400 all day every day. What's an extra 50 yards.....hehe.

Lay down, got sorted, took my jersey off and got a nice firm rear rest. Zoomed into 14 power and lost them. Getting dark...pressure on. Zoomed out, got comfy, zoomed back in. ON A STAG. He was 443yards feeding downhill, just above the hinds, pretty much straight on. I dry fired and calmed my breathing. Then loaded a round and it didn't feel right so ejected that and loaded another. Touched off the shot and THWACK he was down before the sound even got back to us. I checked out the live round I ejected and it turns out the projectile was just loose, not crimped (140gr Core Lokts).

Took a wee while to get down to him, it was quite dark so I could see that he had nice lone tines and some tops but had no idea that he was the monster that he turned out to be!

I got him measured, 139 3/4 DS

Absolutely epic hunt. Very happy with my range practice. I haven't even shot a goat out that far. So pleased.

Name:  12 1.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  12 2.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  12 3.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  12 4.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  56.5 KB
    Shootm, Pointer, shaka and 18 others like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

EDIT 239 3/4 DS sorry, fat fingers!

Oh and I reckon I caught up with the ten I roared in the bush too. Very cool little deer, very pale face. Shot with BB as well at 175 Yards.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Nice one Dougie
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Here's the ten I met him up in the bush behind the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cspence likes this.

Good work Dougie.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Good shooting Dougie, a lot of satisfaction when it all comes together like that.
    Dougie likes this.

bloody cracker lassie.Annie oakley of the forum!jees that carry would equal any gym workout.anyway thought that was what troopies were for.yeah right.

Dam Dougie. Showing us lads up. Put the rifle away for the remaining of the year please so we can redeem ourselves.

Thanks everybody, I love it when a plan comes together. I'm off after a public land sika now.

gadgetman and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    bloody cracker lassie.Annie oakley of the forum!jees that carry would equal any gym workout.anyway thought that was what troopies were for.yeah right.
    I did that once for less than an hour a very long time ago. Wont happen again.
    @Dougie, I might give you a bell when I knock something over. You can do the carry for this decrepit old bugger.
    Dougie likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Awesome effort the dougie. Congradulations on the big boy!

Thanks! The ten was pretty rad too, we watched him for nearly an hour cruising around with his mate.

gadgetman likes this.

If anyone wants to borrow my spotlight, just PM me, it's light power is about as good as the sun at 9am

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I did that once for less than an hour a very long time ago. Wont happen again.
    @Dougie, I might give you a bell when I knock something over. You can do the carry for this decrepit old bugger.
    No worries mate it's all in the thunder thighs and I've seen your chicken legs!!
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    No worries mate it's all in the thunder thighs and I've seen your chicken legs!!
    And they ain't getting any better. As my old day would say, "Watch you don't get arrested for having no visible means of support."
    nor-west and Dougie like this.