Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Dama dama
  • 1 Post By skyflyhigh
  • 2 Post By Hunty1
  • 1 Post By Edunn
  • 1 Post By JoshC
  • 1 Post By Wildman

Thread: Blue Mountains

Blue Mountains

Gidday there fellas.

Couple of days ago I put in a ballot application for the Blue Mountains. I followed up to ask what the process is during the Covid-19 situation.

I received a reply that said they would not be processing applications until they could go back into the office, which is most likely to be at Level 2, whenever that may be.

I haven't been in before so very keen to get in there when we're allowed. I've been told there are reasonable deer numbers but wondering if anyone knows how the recent 1080 drop has affected deer numbers in there?

Cheers,
    Elliott

Deer repellent used so no likely to have impacted deer numbers to any noticeable degree. If u are really concerned, go for the western blocks or Beaumont end where no 1080 used.
    If u get a permit, let me.know I might be able to give you some tips on the block.
    Edunn likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Deer repellent used so no likely to have impacted deer numbers to any noticeable degree. If u are really concerned, go for the western blocks or Beaumont end where no 1080 used.
    If u get a permit, let me.know I might be able to give you some tips on the block.
    Awesome, thanks mate! I applied for the non poisoned blocks anyway so that I can take the dog.

So it’s worth putting in an application for a permit now in the hope blocks are open again in a month or so?

And yes, deer repellent baits do work - less deer die.

Come across quite a few deer carcasses up there since the drop , must been poisoned cause the pigs not touching them , but still plenty of them around .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Edunn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    So it’s worth putting in an application for a permit now in the hope blocks are open again in a month or so?

And yes, deer repellent baits do work - less deer die.
    I suspect there's more chance they'll process next months applications for July.

She didn't say they definitely wouldn't process mine but she did say they wouldn't process until they're back in the office which is unlikely to be before the first of May.

Hunted in there a fair bit and have a plum block for ANZAC weekend, so a bit gutted to not be hunting it! The Blue Mtn croak is one of the highlights of the year for me.

If you haven't hunted it before @Wildman wrote a great post on the other forum that will be worth a read. Some info will probably be out of date but a lot of good info.

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Blue Mountains RHA

The fact that repellent was used combined with heavy rain soon after the 1080 drop will have helped the deer in the treated blocks. But I still wouldn't risk taking a dog or eating meat from those blocks till the caution period is lifted.

I might be slightly controversial in saying this but I think animal numbers are too high in some areas down there. I base this on the eaten out nature of some parts of blocks and the sheer number of animals seen and their lack of condition. My last day hunt down I saw 16 animals and regularly see +10 in a day, and i'm an average bush hunter! So at this time of year I'd encourage you to take a few doe's for the pot if you get the opportunity. A lot of immature bucks get shot in there every year (ive been guilty of it too!). It would be fantastic if folks started to be a bit more selective and took a bit of a management approach to animals down there and let the bucks grow.

Anyway good luck down there if you get a block. Flick me a PM if draw a block and if i'm familiar with it I may be able to give you some pointers.
    Wildman and Stocky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Hunted in there a fair bit and have a plum block for ANZAC weekend, so a bit gutted to not be hunting it! The Blue Mtn croak is one of the highlights of the year for me.

If you haven't hunted it before @Wildman wrote a great post on the other forum that will be worth a read. Some info will probably be out of date but a lot of good info.

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Blue Mountains RHA

The fact that repellent was used combined with heavy rain soon after the 1080 drop will have helped the deer in the treated blocks. But I still wouldn't risk taking a dog or eating meat from those blocks till the caution period is lifted.

I might be slightly controversial in saying this but I think animal numbers are too high in some areas down there. I base this on the eaten out nature of some parts of blocks and the sheer number of animals seen and their lack of condition. My last day hunt down I saw 16 animals and regularly see +10 in a day, and i'm an average bush hunter! So at this time of year I'd encourage you to take a few does for the pot if you get the opportunity. A lot of immature bucks get shot in there every year (ive been guilty of it too!). It would be fantastic if folks started to be a bit more selective and took a bit of a management approach to animals down there and let the bucks grow.

Anyway good luck down there if you get a block. Flick me a PM if draw a block and if i'm familiar with it I may be able to give you some pointers.
    Awesome, thanks mate, really appreciate it!

The dog is still learning so I'll be taking almost any deer she indicates for me to reinforce that's what we're after. Unless, of course, it's a promising young buck or a doe with fawn.

I had a great area I hunted with her in the catlins until it got blasted with 1080 too. Looking forward to hunting some fallow in the bush though and glad they didn't bomb the whole thing!
    Stocky likes this.

Heaps of deer mate.
    Edunn likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

@Edunn It's a great place! Takes a bit of work to figure it out, but once you do can be very productive.

A dog can be a huge asset down there as the fallow are cunning little buggers. I'm currently trying to get my young dog up to speed on deer and have found the Blue mountains can be quite hard for them as there is sign everywhere! You will soon get to recognise when your dog is on hot scent though! I've had the dog indicate fallow hiding under crown fern meters away from me more than once. They will also indicate deer in the thickest bush that no sane hunter would try and hunt through!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    @Edunn It's a great place! Takes a bit of work to figure it out, but once you do can be very productive.

A dog can be a huge asset down there as the fallow are cunning little buggers. I'm currently trying to get my young dog up to speed on deer and have found the Blue mountains can be quite hard for them as there is sign everywhere! You will soon get to recognise when your dog is on hot scent though! I've had the dog indicate fallow hiding under crown fern meters away from me more than once. They will also indicate deer in the thickest bush that no sane hunter would try and hunt through!

Good luck!
    Sounds like great fun! Looking forward to it.

Look forward to the report!

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    Edunn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Look forward to the report!

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    Gotta get a block first but will definitely do a write up if I get one!