Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Professional deer spooker

Blue Mountain's blocks?

Thinking of going up to the blue mountains for a few days but have never been there before so i thought i should try research it abit and not just turn up absolutely lost!

Any tips of good blocks to apply for and bad blocks to try to avoid would be great. from looking at it it seems there is quite alot of forrestry land with patches of native forest. there also seems to be some open(ish) tops with tussolk, would that be worth a look?

any help would be appreciated

Have you got a DOC map of the blocks? The forestry land is Ernslaw and not covered by DOC permits. Be aware the 'front faces' ie Whisky, brooksdale, black gully have a walking track from one end to the other but the hunting area is at the top of the ridge (particularly whisky). Landowners have problems with a lot of poachers going on their properties thinking its part of the DOC block, and understandably get upset. Other blocks accessed from the back are popular, garden gully, dunn creek but i haven't spent much time there myself. Its more of a case of right time right place as they can be quite elusive. whereabouts are you based. scott

Everybody has their favorite. My advice is to pick one block and really get to know it. Fallow are great in that they will always be in the same area or very close by so if you find sign or spook one, come back next time with the wind in your face and you increase your chances of getting lucky...

I did this over at Fn'H. Some things maybe a little dated as there are gates now that you get codes to pass through from DoC when you get your permit.
    http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaB...m=1239787330/6

wee bit of a thread hijack... Anyone know what the snow level is in the Blueys at the moment? Got Dish on friday which i imagine will be fine to access but wondering how low the snow might be into the bush?

Cheers

You'll be sweet mate, its starting to melt. Snow wasn't heavy enough to really effect you that much in the bush anyway.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    You'll be sweet mate, its starting to melt. Snow wasn't heavy enough to really effect you that much in the bush anyway.
    Cheers mate, thought that might be the case

One of the best things you can do to "get your eye in" is to drive up towards the translator. Just before the last (locked)gate you'll have a great view out over the faces on the Packers block. Take you best bino's and warm clothes and glass the clearings. After a while you'll start to see deer. Be patient, it might be a couple of hours before something is in view. I've been able to see 9 deer at once - its a great way to educate a young fella.

Don't be an arse and poach the block or try blasting at long range - just a waste of time.

Cheers

just got back from hunting black gully, snow was a pain in the arse in the bush, was over two foot deep in some places even after three days rain. not sure how much snow they got on the other side of the mountain. as for blocks to hunt, I like Dunn creek, smithies spur and garden gully, I wouldn't reccommend hunting them at the moment though as the snow damage could be quite extensive. whiskey gully is a good block to start with and one of my favorite blocks to secure some meat.