Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bog Inn Access

Bog Inn Access

I’ve always wanted to visit Bog Inn Hut. I seen on the DoC website the normal access roads are closed due to logging. Is anyone able to share when they’ll be reopened, and what the fastest way to get to the hut currently is?

Thanks
    More meplat, more better.

The old road that goes very close to the hut has not been open for years. There is now a locked forstry gate not far in from the Kakaho campground which I would doubt will be open to public again once logging is done. The bridge that used the cross the Kakaho has been removed also so we can count that public access as history. The closest access is walking in from the main Mt Pureora carpark and to walk over the top of Pureora and onto the hut which takes most a bit over 2 hours. It is a lovely hut with hand sawn floor and wallboard. Well worth the visit and tends to be some animal sign around there most of the time.
    tanqueray likes this.

Lived and worked at Tihoi Venture School from ‘80 to ‘85 and marked the track from Bog Inn hut over Weraroa down to Waihaha so NZFS could cut it. There was good hunting ‘over the back’ of the hut. Another good area used to be from that bridge that is now removed, up the stream. I’d Keep to the true right bank and the further up towards Pureora Mt the better it was. Another option for a hunt in that area would be to drop into said stream from near Pureora and follow it down to removed bridge. It was a good day hunt. Camp at the DOC site.
    tetawa, Sideshow and tanqueray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinna View Post
    It is a lovely hut with hand sawn floor and wallboard
    i thought it got burnt down a few years ago never to be rebuilt?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    i thought it got burnt down a few years ago never to be rebuilt?
    never mind........ according to DOC website apparently not seems i am mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by Rinna View Post
    The old road that goes very close to the hut has not been open for years. There is now a locked forstry gate not far in from the Kakaho campground which I would doubt will be open to public again once logging is done. The bridge that used the cross the Kakaho has been removed also so we can count that public access as history. The closest access is walking in from the main Mt Pureora carpark and to walk over the top of Pureora and onto the hut which takes most a bit over 2 hours. It is a lovely hut with hand sawn floor and wallboard. Well worth the visit and tends to be some animal sign around there most of the time.
    Two hours isn’t bad, cheers for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Lived and worked at Tihoi Venture School from ‘80 to ‘85 and marked the track from Bog Inn hut over Weraroa down to Waihaha so NZFS could cut it. There was good hunting ‘over the back’ of the hut. Another good area used to be from that bridge that is now removed, up the stream. I’d Keep to the true right bank and the further up towards Pureora Mt the better it was. Another option for a hunt in that area would be to drop into said stream from near Pureora and follow it down to removed bridge. It was a good day hunt. Camp at the DOC site.
    That’s great info, thanks for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was one of my favourite hunting areas back in the day, particularly dropping into the heads of the Ongarue. Great bush stalking country.

It’s not too bad of a walk. Once you get down off Pureora you end up walking for couple of Km on the Timber trail l which is very strange if you havnt seen it before. It’s a pretty seriously constructed track. Takes you forever to get anywhere as it wiggles all over the place though. Ingrid51 I have been living and working at Tihoi Venture School for the past few years. Hunting is not so easy now with limited access and 1080 drops every few years. I may see you at the 40th anniversary in a few months
    sharps no 1 likes this.

Rinna, I will be attending ‘original staff’ reunion in September. Thanks for news on 40th anniversary reunion. My time there was brilliant.

I taught there for one intake in early 97. Great place, great times, great kids. I had done a lot of hunting in Waihaha before working there.

Was a student first intake 88 say gidday to Boris for me
    Ingrid 51 likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Bit scary that I remember it as a working mill.
    Used to play for Tihoi.
    After matches in front of big fire.
    sometimes1 likes this.

Students are pretty different nowadays with some serious technology withdrawals for a lot of them. Makes it an even more important thing for them to be doing with the lack of life skills and how ignorant a lot of them are. Great getting them back to basics in in touch with the real world. We see Boris quite a lot these days. Calls in for meals occasionally and he attends every intakes graduation and runs with the boys for part of their 21km race. Very kind gentle man... sounds like he knew how to sort out the rat bags in his day.
    Sideshow likes this.

Spent a couple of years working with Brian and jan before returning to uni. The very early days with mike and Judy Shaw were the best. For example, I was shown a panoramic view of the expanse of Bush from mt Pureora to infinity with the comment “can you navigate your way with 15 kids through that safely.” I did. Got to know the terrain so well, I seldom used a compass. Best years of my life to be honest.