Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Buller Gorge or other areas - looking for goats

Buller Gorge or other areas - looking for goats

Would like to put a couple of goats in the freezer just for a bit of change of meat.

Canterbury is rather devoid of them, in any great numbers at least.

Talking to Sharon's niece and partner in Westport last year - they are both avid hunters - their suggestion was any stream, river or tributary off the Buller gorge would usually meet with success on any given day. For themselves, they hunt only deer and pigs but will usually take a goat or two on their trips purely for the purposes of conservation......niece works for DOC.

So looking to go over on or around 16th of this month and am trying to decide on which area to try.

Without wanting anyone's Spot-X, any thoughts as to what may prove fruitful??? Was looking at Ohikanui River off the Buller but open to any suggestions. Would be happy to try spots even closer to Canterbury. I was planning on coming over the Lewis but if there is something holding promise closer over Arthur's Pass and in the Greymouth, Hokitika area more than happy to go there. The prime objective is to put goat meat in the freezer.

Any pointers gratefully received. Also willing to consider anyone who might want to come along for a hunt but be warned, I'm a grumpy, cantankerous old C**t.......ask anyone who knows me.....

Cheers
    Phil

Bos
    Why dont you apply for a Molesworth permit
    Plenty of Goats and other hairy things running around there
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Something I have never known about. Interesting, I shall research that further. Thanks.

Cheers
    Phil

Kaikoura might be a closer option? Seem to see a few most times im up around there (saw a mob of 30 last trip on the edge of a doc block)
    Phil_H likes this.

There are always a few goats on the side of the road to Westport which wouldn't be hard to get. Otherwise could look at the white cliffs on just past Inangahua junction where you can spot them from the road then stalk them up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Kaikoura might be a closer option? Seem to see a few most times im up around there (saw a mob of 30 last trip on the edge of a doc block)
    Yes, I have a colleague who has been up there in the last 2 weeks. A mix up in communication between the two in the party, no main meals were brought along so they had to take a feral goat to provide food for their four days.

That said, the Buller had appealed at first glance only in that there are frequent reports of drivers seeing them along the sides of the road. The hope was going in late afternoon, camping overnight and coming out the evening of the following day....hopefully with goat. It is intended as more a quick trip for meat rather rather than something longer. I am lead to believe there is plenty of goats in the Kaikoura's but perhaps not as easily accessible as I am lead to believe they are in the Buller.

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by JL12 View Post
    There are always a few goats on the side of the road to Westport which wouldn't be hard to get. Otherwise could look at the white cliffs on just past Inangahua junction where you can spot them from the road then stalk them up the hill
    Now that is more in line with what I have been lead to believe of the Buller area.

I like the idea of Whitecliffs as there is Heaphys Road leading up to the old Heaphy mine which looks as if it takes you to the heart of the Whitecliffs.

Thanks for that one @JL12

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    That's a bit unkind on old Jim W
    Bos likes this.

You might want to check with doc first @Phil_H. I know they have just been running a culling operation just south of murchison township as goats were commonly spotted on the side of the road. The road was even closed for certain times of the day I believe. We have seen groups ourselves the last couple of times driving through , so may pay to check first that they didn't go through any areas you are thinking of hunting.
    Just a thought...hate for you to go all that way for nothing.
    That said mt mantle is supposed to be teeming with goats..... have been considering going for a wander there myself.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    You might want to check with doc first @Phil_H. I know they have just been running a culling operation just south of murchison township as goats were commonly spotted on the side of the road. The road was even closed for certain times of the day I believe. We have seen groups ourselves the last couple of times driving through , so may pay to check first that they didn't go through any areas you are thinking of hunting.
    Thanks for that @Ftx325, will give the local DOC office a ring later this week.

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Would like to put a couple of goats in the freezer just for a bit of change of meat.

Canterbury is rather devoid of them, in any great numbers at least.

Talking to Sharon's niece and partner in Westport last year - they are both avid hunters - their suggestion was any stream, river or tributary off the Buller gorge would usually meet with success on any given day. For themselves, they hunt only deer and pigs but will usually take a goat or two on their trips purely for the purposes of conservation......niece works for DOC.

So looking to go over on or around 16th of this month and am trying to decide on which area to try.

Without wanting anyone's Spot-X, any thoughts as to what may prove fruitful??? Was looking at Ohikanui River off the Buller but open to any suggestions. Would be happy to try spots even closer to Canterbury. I was planning on coming over the Lewis but if there is something holding promise closer over Arthur's Pass and in the Greymouth, Hokitika area more than happy to go there. The prime objective is to put goat meat in the freezer.

Any pointers gratefully received. Also willing to consider anyone who might want to come along for a hunt but be warned, I'm a grumpy, cantankerous old C**t.......ask anyone who knows me.....

Cheers
    Phil
    O shit. A cantankerous old cunt, grumpy and pissed off hunter of goats. There goes my thin veneer of bravery. Not for me thank you, sir! All the best in your quest.

Molesworth might allow a permit at the moment but they are not issuing any roar ballots this year only rolling over last years ones

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    That said mt mantle is supposed to be teeming with goats..... have been considering going for a wander there myself.
    Would be useful only if they provide up to date info. Some time ago I rang DoC immediately prior to rafting the Motu:
    "Yeah yeah, take a couple of semis, get stuck into the goats".
    Raft the river for 5 days, the whole way down stank of rotting goat carcasses.
    Got out and at the pub " oh yeah, the gunships did the place over a month ago :

Had the same into the Harkness in the Kawekas and it had been dusted up couple weeks before Helisika didn't tell us either.

@Phil_H Have you managed to get out for some goats? Keen to hear how you got on as I was thinking of a Buller trip next week to do the same.