Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bullet Placement, where is your sweet spot?

Bullet Placement, where is your sweet spot?

I dropped a yearling hind this morning and started thinking about bullet placement, most of the deer I shoot are a reasonably long walk into the bush, so therefore I just aim for the front shoulder as I’m to far in to carry the whole animal back to the vehicle anyway, for this reason I find myself just automatically lining up on the shoulder every time out of habit, the times I have shot a deer in the neck or head they have been facing me, or watching me from behind a tree so only presenting their head or neck.
    I like to recover the projectiles and 7-8 times out of 10 when I shoot them through the shoulder I will find the projectile just under the skin on the opposite side, I consider this a good thing as it shows that all of the bullets energy is being used where it is supposed to be, which is in the middle of the animals chest doing all the damage to the vital organs.
    This morning’s yearling red had two holes, entry and exit on its shoulders, I was a bit surprised to see that the bullet had gone right through after hitting bone and organs. But on skinning the deer I found the bullet just under the skin and off to the side, I can only assume that the travelling bullet carried a plug of bone and snot with it that then punch through the skin, why the bullet didn’t come out as well I don’t know, deflection possibly from pushing an object in front of it, or the lead coming away from the brass jacket, although the lead tip is usually mashed back inside the brass jacket.

Entry hole right shoulder centre
    Name:  entry hole.JPG
Views: 1199
Size:  99.4 KB

Exit hole from something
    Name:  exit hole.JPG
Views: 758
Size:  97.8 KB

Found yah!
    Name:  recovered bullet.JPG
Views: 709
Size:  102.5 KB
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Looks like the lead from inside is missing? Probably kept going through

As for me I almost never find projectiles in animals

Part of it was mashed back inside the brass, how much of it I don't know.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Happens quite often the exit hole but bullet under the skin as I said in one of your other threads?

Yet to recover a Barnes 130ttsx 30 cal they will penetrate the full length of a big animal.

Neck if easy and feeling confident, lungs if wanting a bigger target.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah I saw that comment, I use the cheaper end of the scale factory ammo so it wouldn't have the punch of hand loads to keep on travelling

that sweet spot haha

Name:  20140109_235436.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  1,000.6 KB
    Dougie, Toby, oneshot and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Yeah I saw that comment, I use the cheaper end of the scale factory ammo so it wouldn't have the punch of hand loads to keep on travelling
    With the exception of the solid copper bullets the slower they go the more they will penetrate the faster they go the less they will penetrate, this is because the faster they go the more violently they expand and fragment losing most or in some cases all of their weight into little fragments.
    Matt2308 likes this.

I never thought of it like that, I use Remington Core lockt which usually mushroom really well (most of the time)

Looks to be good performance to me

This vid is quite neat and shows where all that bruising comes from with frangible projectiles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKedGBIjDfg

Rather mesmerising

Oneshot I shot a sheep a while ago for a farmer in the same place as you which didnt exit either but had 2 clean holes in each shoulder blade, was with an amax.

All deer ive shot bar 1 with berger vlds ive had bullet exit on and sometimes leave a hole of around 2 inches, one time it even pulled some innards out with it. All my shots behind the shoulder or on it.
    oneshot likes this.
    #BallisticFists

Man, that photographer makes that an art doesn't he.. very cool.
    Scouser likes this.

I always go for the middle of the shoulder with the 243. Its a proven fact that the best perforance out of a 243 round is where you hit bone.
    Never lost one animal yet after being hit with the 243 so esp in the bush its a great killing round on deer, pigs and bigger animals like stags.
    In saying that ive still shot a few in the neck and behind the shoulder when i started out.
    Sometimes behind the shoulder the deer will run a few yards, sometimes 50 and fall over dead. Not one has got more than 10 yards with a shot in the shoulder thou . Last two deer ive shot have been neck shots but the biggest percentage of shots are shoulder shots.
    Not only does it work, but most shots are free standing and miles from car so not carriying the whole anaimal out and in the bush you like them to bang drop and shoulder shots do that.
    Fed powershoks are awesome (100gr). Using the Rem corelolts in the 308 thou
    oneshot likes this.

Aim big, miss small. I almost always aim for the shoulder.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

I always go for the crease just behind the shoulder. Lob a 308 in there and it's good night
    Never been keen to try a head/neck shot in fear of wounding and losing it
    sakokid and Kiwiman like this.