Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Calibre for goats and occasional deer?

MB

Calibre for goats and occasional deer?

As per title. It'll primarily be a goat gun, with the very occasional deer stalking trip, maybe once a year. Just started doing some reading and trying to decide between .243 and .270. Any thoughts?

Neither. Both are good but there are so many out there. By the sound of it, you have not done a lot of shooting yet, would that be correct?

If this is the case, there are a few things I would suggest you consider. Price and availability of ammo. More common and cheaper to shoot calibres mean more affordable to spend time at the range getting familiar and accurate with whatever calibre you get. I would suggest 308 would be one of the most common but there are others.

Secondly get something that wont beat your shoulder up to start with. If you start out with 270 or 30/06 or a magnum (7mmRem etc) then the likelihood of you developing a flinch is higher and this will have a negative impact on your accuracy.

308 would be my first choice if I was in your situation. Easy to source a wide selection of ammo, capable of more than you re asking.
    6.5x55 would be a close second. It has very similar performance to a 308 but recoil seems lighter making it easier to shoot accurately.
    243 is still capable but is perhaps not a suitable than the above. shot placement is more critical, but with lighter recoil accuracy is usually easier.
    7mm08 is so similar to 308 that it may as well be the same except the ammo tends to be dearer as the selection of cheaper brands like Barnaul etc are not available in that calibre though there is nothing wrong with the 7mm08 and with its increased popularity, there is quite a range out there for it.

Finally there is a mosin nagant listed on this forum for $500 that would well be worth a look at. A bit heavier to carry, but capable of handling anything from 130gr to 220gr projectiles. Barnaul make a 203gr Soft point that works well in these.

To all the haters out there that will say 270 is brilliant, I am not saying that any calibre is not capable of what he is asking it to do, but pointing out there are different points to consider when looking for a first rifle.
    sako75, veitnamcam, HUNTY and 4 others like this.

LJP
    You just told me you want a 308! One of the cheapest calibres to run (great for goat bombup's & is ample performance for any deer that walks NZ. A tikka t3 308 job done

The .243 would be an excellent caliber for what you required. It is easy to shoot and reload and is more than capable of cleanly killing both goats and deer.
    The .243 also has the advantage of probably having a higher resale value as its more popular with internet experts.
    Actual international sales figures may suggest otherwise...
    I've owned and operated both calibres and I'd go for the .243 for the situation that you have described.
    I'm sure you'll get heaps of advice on these two and many other calibres...
    In the end, as I've said before, what caliber you get doesn't matter that much as a good man will own many different calibres over his life! ;-)

Just my opinion.

Jw 103 Norinco ticks those boxes the ammo is cheap enough to shoot lots and recoils light. Its got the power for kills on deer out to 300 yds, light and handy in the scrub. A guy I know at alfredton got one for a bike gun, taken more deer with it in the last 2 years than his 2506 or 7mm.
    The rifles not pretty but it's practical.
    Steve123 and Micky Duck like this.

Mainly goats and deer either 223 or 243. if shooting a lot of goats I would go for 223 ammunition is ready available and affordable in all gunshops and choose a heavier bullet for the occasional deer. I shoot 308 as well but for a new shooter probably to much recoil if he is shooting lots of rounds in a short time on goats. I reload for all three calibres but to use the 243 to its best he would need to reload for it or buy expensive premium ammo.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Neither. Both are good but there are so many out there. By the sound of it, you have not done a lot of shooting yet, would that be correct?

If this is the case, there are a few things I would suggest you consider. Price and availability of ammo. More common and cheaper to shoot calibres mean more affordable to spend time at the range getting familiar and accurate with whatever calibre you get. I would suggest 308 would be one of the most common but there are others.

Secondly get something that wont beat your shoulder up to start with. If you start out with 270 or 30/06 or a magnum (7mmRem etc) then the likelihood of you developing a flinch is higher and this will have a negative impact on your accuracy.

308 would be my first choice if I was in your situation. Easy to source a wide selection of ammo, capable of more than you re asking.
    6.5x55 would be a close second. It has very similar performance to a 308 but recoil seems lighter making it easier to shoot accurately.
    243 is still capable but is perhaps not a suitable than the above. shot placement is more critical, but with lighter recoil accuracy is usually easier.
    7mm08 is so similar to 308 that it may as well be the same except the ammo tends to be dearer as the selection of cheaper brands like Barnaul etc are not available in that calibre though there is nothing wrong with the 7mm08 and with its increased popularity, there is quite a range out there for it.

Finally there is a mosin nagant listed on this forum for $500 that would well be worth a look at. A bit heavier to carry, but capable of handling anything from 130gr to 220gr projectiles. Barnaul make a 203gr Soft point that works well in these.

To all the haters out there that will say 270 is brilliant, I am not saying that any calibre is not capable of what he is asking it to do, but pointing out there are different points to consider when looking for a first rifle.
    Are you for real? Don't you work it in sports/hunting shop??(correct me if im wrong) What a load of nonscense. Firstly, for what he wants to use it for the most suitable Cal would be the 243, or 223 .Its for goats for and a once in a blue moon hunt for deer...243 is ideal, or a 223. Secondly, you suggesting a 243 or 270 isn't as common for availability for ammo etc...of cause they are, what planet are you on.
    Without a doubt, for a first rifle for what you want and next to no recoil, the 243 is perfect, as it gives some room for error and gives you some distance over the next best choice a 223.
    Go to a 6.5 ? 308 ?270 when you decide to hunt deer full time if you wish but if you shooting 0-250m the 243 will be perfect for that too.
    GWH, mikee, RichieRich and 8 others like this.

Dear243 is spot on .223 or .243 learn to shoot these first.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

out of those two choices .243
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    If primarily goats then get a 223. As said, plenty of affordable ammo and you will learn to shoot well without hammering yourself as you would with a heavy caliber. I've shot hundreds of goats and this is my choice and where I cull there are a few deer around for the pot as well, never had an issue because of the confidence you build with the easy to shoot 223.
    If only a choice of the two mentioned then 243.
    Last edited by Mathias; 24-02-2016 at 07:57 AM.
    deer243 and Rusky like this.

I'd suggest .243, regardless of the choices you suggested.
    .308, .270 (my preferred hunting calibres) etc will have more recoil than a beginner needs to endure.
    The .223, while it has cheap ammo, does not leave much margin for error on deer. It would be fine for goats.

That leaves the .243, which has a great selection of both ammo and rifles. Light recoil so that you will be able to shoot it at the range or bomb up a mob of goats without getting bashed up, enough gun to kill large red stags if you take sensible shots.

Some other calibres have lowish recoil to such as .260 and 25/06 but ammo and rifle selection is small. And ammo probably quite expensive (I reload so not sure on factory ammo prices these days).

Go the .243!
    deer243 likes this.

northdude
    A handful of guys I know and have been out with that spend more time hunting than quiet a few of us put together including me just use 308 its not very trendy but it just does the job they are one rifle guys who don't have a collection for every different animal they will shoot and they just use factory ammo
    Steve123 and Micky Duck like this.

Exactly what deer243 said, totally agree, start smaller and learn to shoot, .243 is an awesome round or .223 for that matter. No need to go big ... Worst thing you could do is jump into a big caliber like a .270 . 308 and develop a flinch
    Hunt4life likes this.
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

.243 all the way man. Hornady 95g sst's and go hunting.
    mudgripz, deer243 and hotsoup like this.
    Using Tapatalk

308 is not a "big" or hard kicking caliber. Thousands of kiwi hunters learnt to hunt and shoot with lightened 303 smle with steel or brass butplates.

308 is a fantastic learners caliber,cheap ammunition available anywhere and modest recoil.

However for mostly goats I would recommend the 223 even cheaper to shoot and almost non existent recoil while still being plenty of power for the job.
    mikee, deer243, timattalon and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.