Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Camo up for Sika?

Does anyone here reckon going full camo in a decent pattern will increase the likelihood of slaying them? I normally hunt in a bush T and shorts, no trouble finding them, but can never find myself in the right position to shoot them. Generally they see me long before I'm onto them.

Yeahp
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

I've worn everything form blue to blaze to mossy oak and they still laugh in my face.

Seriously, I've only nailed one Sika that saw me at the same time, all the rest didn't know I was there.
    Welcome to Sako club.

P38
    I usually hunt in a long sleeved shirt (Ridgeline green), Black long john leggings and black shorts.

And Like you I have no trouble finding the Sika ..... mostly because they have made a shit load of noise during their escape because they have spotted/smelled me or they are whistling at me shortly before making a shit load of noise during their escape because they have spotted/smelled me.
    However not all see/smell me or are successful duirng their escape.
    Kinda a win some loose some situation.

That said I have improved my kill rate by sitting, watching and waiting at likely looking spots as the spook an shoot method just doesn't work for me.

I've often thought of camo for my face and hands as I'm sure the can see my white face beaming at them like a search light on a moon less night.

Cheers
    Pete

I know of people who wear face masks when bush stalking and swear by them
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

SiB
    smell - I use non-scented detergent (that special washing liquid for gear from the sports shops) for my gear - I reckon that helps heaps.

I dont recon it helps at all
    I wear camo pants... only because they were the only colour available when i went shopping!

My main reason for this is the fact that after shooting a sika hind and having it boned out and in my day pack i stunk like deer, on my walk out i had 2 (different occations) hinds walking infront of me about 10 m away trying to sus me out for at least 15 mins one only left because i threw a rock at it!
    They had no fear of me while i smelt like deer yet was clearly not!

I recon 90% if the deers decision is on smell not sight.

i kinda agree with two shot. they stand there and look at you, licking the wind but by god, if they get a wiff of your stink, they are out of there, quicker than john key at waitangi! as long as you stand still and dont move to much, i reckon you can wear wot ever you want.

Being down wind helps the smell factor , so hunt into the wind , movement is a biggy so move slowly if at all ,spend more time stopping and looking than walking , shape is important , being clad in the same camo from head to toe still gives shape so wear different top and pants and a floppy hat all in a different camo to break up your head shape , face masks are hot , restrict vision , snag on things ,The only good thing about facemasks is they can keep insects off , if you must camo your face use camo makeup , and dont forget your hands, they are flags, reduce your silhouette and dont sit on skylines or even cross them .
    Top photographers find current sign then use portable blinds to sit in and just wait and the deer come to them
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

I look at it this way; it won't decrease your chances, so if you've got it, you may as well wear it.

I mix and match and don't really care what I wear, it seams to make no noticable difference in getting within rifle range of most deer. Now bowhunting seams to be another story, but that could still be my smell or sound spooking them (not lack of camo?) as sight is way down the deers list of warning alarms.

kj

True. I'm sick of getting onto them only to have a hedge of pepperwoods or a bunch of trees or some other crap stopping me from seeing them.