Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Strider
  • 2 Post By ethos
  • 1 Post By mopheadrob
  • 1 Post By cobber
  • 1 Post By Lewy_louie
  • 1 Post By Mathias

Thread: Canterbury foot hills in winter

Canterbury foot hills in winter

I’ve finally got a weekend free in a couple of weeks so I’m planning a day hunt/overnighter somewhere in the Canterbury foot hills.
    I’ve hunted Thomas a few times with mixed success, Oxford has been productive, have been up Richardson a couple of times but it’s been a Barron wasteland when I’ve been up there.
    But all of my trips have been in summer or autum. I’ve never hunted this area during winter.

Am I safe to assume that the deer will be feeding on whatever new growth is kicking off around the 7-800m altitude mark on the north facing slopes or am I way off track there?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated feel free to PM

Cheers
    Strider
    dannyb likes this.

You won’t find much new growth kicking off at 700-800m in winter. Generic advice: Find the wintering areas -concentrations of animal tracks and crap- and check out the sunny faces and sheltered bits in those areas.
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.

T.w
    Deer are miles up in the back country I found over the weekend. My usual haunt up oxford is not been very active recently

Hey Strider. Are you talking the weekend of the 25th/26th? I'm planning a trip then as well, would be more than keen to link up if you're interested. Can't help with locations though sorry - I'm still new to this, I've tried Richardson and found a spot with a lot of sign but no animals (I may have spooked them before getting near enough to spot anything though). I was planning to head back there only because I know the area now and can plan the hunt a little better, but I'm keen to find new/more productive areas relatively close to home.
    dannyb likes this.

I found that in north canterbury the deer were 1300-1600m last week on the sunny faces. They still have to eat though so look where there is some vegetation on the north faces.
    dannyb likes this.

look on the little knobs / dry faces , they are usually the first place to start drying off as summer progresses but the first place the grass starts growing in the spring , forget the misconception of grass growing first at the bottom of the valley !.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Sun. They will be in the sun all day.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cobber View Post
    I found that in north canterbury the deer were 1300-1600m last week on the sunny faces. They still have to eat though so look where there is some vegetation on the north faces.
    Exactly where I was seeing them over the weekend too. Above the first line but below the freezing air level!
    cobber likes this.
    I laugh a the lor and pride of man, at the sophist schools and learned clan. For what are they all in high conceit, when man in the bush with god may meet?

Cheers for the feedback chaps, ill get up for a look, at the very least ill get out for some fresh mountain air.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Cheers for the feedback chaps, ill get up for a look, at the very least ill get out for some fresh mountain air.
    A suitable high over the Canterbury this weekend....nows good
    dannyb likes this.