Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Carrying Ammo while Hunting with a Single Shot

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    55

    Carrying Ammo while Hunting with a Single Shot

    I like single shot rifles. The Gecado Plinker .22LR shown in the image below was my uncle's. It is over 50 years old. My father also had one, but his had the round knob on the bolt handle. These Plinkers have a long barrel and a sleek figure, and somehow, to me, when I pick them up I think 'I could hit something with this'.

    Carrying ammo in a way that you can quickly reload is a challenge when using these simple rifles. It can just be kept in your pocket, but .22 ammo can be contaminated with fluff and grit.... and it can also be damaged or have the projectile loosened in the case if it is subjected to too much stress. Of course I have carried it loose in my pocket, but nowadays I generally have it in an open ziplok sandwich bag which helps ensure that it stays clean.

    Recently I cut a bit of aluminium tube to make a holder for five cartridges. I blocked one end and found some plastic tube to make a removable stopper for the top end. This hangs from my belt and I find I can tip one cartridge at a time from it just using one hand.

    I sometimes jam one or two cartridges under a rubber band which I tie around the rear of the barrel.

    In the past I had a leather bullet belt which was ok, but I wondered if it might take some of the lube off the bullets. I also made a wrist strap from wide elastic that could hold several cartridges.

    I was just wondering what other ideas folks here might have. Best wishes...

    Daithi and Reprosniffer like this.

  2. #2
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    3,243
    Nice post. I think you have it. Maybe get someone to ream it out for .22WMR. Even less need for quick reloads and no worries about them being too long for the magazine.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Porirua
    Posts
    394
    I like the tube idea, how about a cheap 10 shot mag with a belt clip welded on? They are very easy to load (I load my 10/22 mag as I walk) and sliding one bullet off at a time would be easy. Also they won’t slip out if you trip or climb a fence.
    Moa Hunter, 40mm, Cordite and 1 others like this.
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Taranaki
    Posts
    1,604
    You mean you dont hold the spare rounds in your mouth ? I though everyone held spare .22 ammo in their mouth when using single shot rifles?
    Tasbay, norsk, outlander and 1 others like this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Porirua
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    You mean you dont hold the spare rounds in your mouth ? I though everyone held spare .22 ammo in their mouth when using single shot rifles?
    I did until @Coote suggested a better way. I use my 10/22 for most rabbit hunting, the single shot was my go too for lone rabbits near the house. Sadly mum and dad have sold up so both guns sit in the safe now. Shot my last two bunnies with the single shot the day they moved.
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

  6. #6
    MB
    MB is online now
    Member MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    885
    I saw a butt stock .22 round holder in the store that shall not be named the other day.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    882
    I never need more than one shot





    Yeah, right....

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Western BoP
    Posts
    1,787
    Tennis ball with a slit in it?

  9. #9
    Member john m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    horohoro
    Posts
    613
    Dad put this on for Mum over 60 yrs ago and it's still usefull now.
    Name:  20190518_164017.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  3.92 MB
    Tahr, Barefoot, stingray and 10 others like this.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

  10. #10
    MSL
    MSL is offline
    Member MSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    Dad put this on for Mum over 60 yrs ago and it's still usefull now.
    Attachment 111506
    Has that got a boot sole for the buttplate?

  11. #11
    Member john m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    horohoro
    Posts
    613
    part of a mud flap
    Barefoot, Gibo, Boaraxa and 3 others like this.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Porirua
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I never need more than one shot







    Yeah, right....
    Me too, but some times there is more than one bunny, last two I shot were two of three.
    2 out of 3 an’t bad.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

  13. #13
    Member 40mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Jaffa
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    You mean you dont hold the spare rounds in your mouth ? I though everyone held spare .22 ammo in their mouth when using single shot rifles?
    NA, they taste too good and I had to stop myself from chewing them!
    So when I used to hunt with my Gecardo Plinker I had about 4 rounds in between my left hands fingers, got pretty quick at taking second shots
    Use enough gun

  14. #14
    Member Max Headroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    You mean you dont hold the spare rounds in your mouth ? I though everyone held spare .22 ammo in their mouth when using single shot rifles?
    Works till I sneeze. 22's are a pain to find in long grass.

  15. #15
    Member 40mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Jaffa
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    I like single shot rifles. The Gecado Plinker .22LR shown in the image below was my uncle's. It is over 50 years old. My father also had one, but his had the round knob on the bolt handle. These Plinkers have a long barrel and a sleek figure, and somehow, to me, when I pick them up I think 'I could hit something with this'.

    Carrying ammo in a way that you can quickly reload is a challenge when using these simple rifles. It can just be kept in your pocket, but .22 ammo can be contaminated with fluff and grit.... and it can also be damaged or have the projectile loosened in the case if it is subjected to too much stress. Of course I have carried it loose in my pocket, but nowadays I generally have it in an open ziplok sandwich bag which helps ensure that it stays clean.

    Recently I cut a bit of aluminium tube to make a holder for five cartridges. I blocked one end and found some plastic tube to make a removable stopper for the top end. This hangs from my belt and I find I can tip one cartridge at a time from it just using one hand.

    I sometimes jam one or two cartridges under a rubber band which I tie around the rear of the barrel.

    In the past I had a leather bullet belt which was ok, but I wondered if it might take some of the lube off the bullets. I also made a wrist strap from wide elastic that could hold several cartridges.

    I was just wondering what other ideas folks here might have. Best wishes...

    You just gave me a great idea.......
    I am going to copy your tube mag idea, but mine will hold 12 rounds and be fixed to the underside of my plinker!
    Technically it is surely a magazine. I wonder what the future holds for me and my magazine fed single shot plinker?
    Use enough gun

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Single shot 12g
    By 300wsm for life in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-08-2017, 08:57 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-01-2017, 02:41 PM
  3. Single shot 12g FS
    By Dougie in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2016, 12:52 PM
  4. WTB - 45/70 single shot
    By Uplandstalker in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-01-2014, 02:15 PM
  5. Single Shot 223
    By Vapour in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!