Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Cascade Hut

Cascade Hut

A colleague and myself will be in Taupo early next week for a work meeting. When the work is over we are thinking of going in to the Kaimanawa's, either Oamaru or Cascade hut to hunt Sika for the first time. My preference is Cascade. Any suggestions about which of the huts would be better for us would be a big help and any tips on hunting techniques would be good. Is the sit and wait tactic good for Sika. My usual stylefor Reds is to stalk quietly in the bush, will that work?
    Weather will be a big factor in going or not. When shouldnt we go?

Hi TonyR. I went for the first time to Kaimanawas in March. Walked in to Oamaru Hut. It was dry as a bone then, and noisy under foot but very open in places. We walked for around 8 hours in total and saw 2 deer within an open area on the river, and then another on walk back to hut. Both times were difficult to get a shot away, but by all accounts we did well to see some when other hunters nearby hadn't for a few days. I would go off the beaten track bush stalking then make your way towards rivers/streams in the evening. I think the key is to go slow (very slow) and take your time as sika are ninjas of the bush. The sit and wait approach worked for me when looking down onto the river while having afternoon lunch. A hind and yearling showed themselves after I had a coughing episode when a insect had flown down my gob. Would have had my first Sika if that hadn't happen.
    ishoot10s, phillipgr and 308 like this.

I'll be much the same, heading into oamaru hut from 1st to 4th of July for my first sika hunt.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

And welcome to the forum tony

Yeah nah bro

Oamaru hut will be better not such a hard slog through poronui station and only one crossing through the Kaipo and it is 3hr40 walk compared to the 6-8 hour walk each way you guys are thinking of doing.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Oamaru hut will be better not such a hard slog through poronui station and only one crossing through the Kaipo and it is 3hr40 walk compared to the 6-8 hour walk each way you guys are thinking of doing.
    6 to Cascade,, You taking the scenic route Been a while but I think it was 3 1/2 to cascade and 2 1/2 from Oamaru to Helisika. I now stand ready to be corrected. I will admit Oamaru is definitely the easier walk.

Cascade from the end of Clements mill road is at least 4 and a half at a fast pace with no pack. I walk that track regulary and i admit im not fit but i could not do the 4 and a half hr run in there , i woud be closer to 5+ with no pack. with a pack about 6hrs
    I do this track about 4 to 5 times a year.

2 1/2 from oamaru to helisika is a bit optimistic also with a pack.

Thank you all,
    I'm from the Wairarapa and snow is something to appreciate from a distance. Might let discretion decide that I'll put my mate off til summer for a first trip in there and day hunt from the road this time.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
    Thank you all,
    I'm from the Wairarapa and snow is something to appreciate from a distance. Might let discretion decide that I'll put my mate off til summer for a first trip in there and day hunt from the road this time.
    Let us know how it goes!
    falconhell likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

Quote Originally Posted by irgnz View Post
    6 to Cascade,, You taking the scenic route Been a while but I think it was 3 1/2 to cascade and 2 1/2 from Oamaru to Helisika. I now stand ready to be corrected. I will admit Oamaru is definitely the easier walk.
    Went in to the Oamaru last year and did the walk there in 3 hours (40 mins was knocked off by the guy from Helisika he gave me and mohawk and ride on the back of his ute to where you go off the road and head for the mohaka) the return was 3:40mins timed from when we left the hut to go back to helisika.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I usually do the Oamaru walk in about 2hr 45, that's going hard and not stopping though. Easy as walk, pretty much flat the whole way.

Saw 8 sika on walk in last time. I did think about it....

Alright, that's us convinced, Oamaru it is. Philipgr, don't shoot all the deer and will probably meet you Wednesday night. Tony
    phillipgr and Happy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
    Alright, that's us convinced, Oamaru it is. Philipgr, don't shoot all the deer and will probably meet you Wednesday night. Tony
    Good stuff! Righto Tony I'll leave a few behind for you haha

Will see you then

Yeah nah bro