Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Chamois

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Timaru
    Posts
    143

    Chamois

    So I am heading back down from a successful hunt, with a pack full of venison. Coming up the path towards me is a young chamois buck. He's walking slowly, and hasn't yet seen me. I drop the pack shoulder my rifle, take aim.....and miss. I was still blowing hard from the previous hill. I sat and watched the wee guy who walked forward about 5m then sat down in the grass. By the time I got there he was dead. I thought I must have hit him after all, but no wound, he is completely whole.
    What do I do? Could it have been poisoned? I don't want good meat to go to waste, but also don't want to eat poison haha. I'll stick around for 20 mins or so before I carry on my merry way.Name:  IMG_20190525_113108.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  6.06 MB

  2. #2
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,635
    Must of died from heart attack
    Did you bleed it - open him up and inspect gut

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Timaru
    Posts
    143
    No I just left it, eyes were already white by the time I got there, which would have been 20 seconds max, so im thinking it wasn't a healthy animal. Also prob why it didn't see me. I was upwind too

  4. #4
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,635
    Very odd

  5. #5
    Member jknavara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    30
    That’s a tahr
    ethos, JoshC, Shearer and 7 others like this.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Timaru
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by jknavara View Post
    That’s a tahr
    Haha shows what I know!

  7. #7
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    6,466
    Has blood coming from its mouth or nose so it's been hit, pretty hard to find the bullet hole in their fluffy coats especially if it's only an entry hole and no exit.
    #27GANG

  8. #8
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Has blood coming from its mouth or nose so it's been hit, pretty hard to find the bullet hole in their fluffy coats especially if it's only an entry hole and no exit.
    How you see that - I just blew pic up and see 0
    He right about the eye but !!

  9. #9
    Rabbit Herder StrikerNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Canterbury
    Posts
    1,200
    Yep, definitely looks like fresh blood there, so would say you hit it just fine. (or is it just red leaves?)
    Slice it open and you'll find out quick enough..

    I see the visible eye is clearly blind, which would explain why it didn't notice you. (not uncommon for the young ones to get pink eye and go blind from grass seeds etc)

  10. #10
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Yep, definitely looks like fresh blood there, so would say you hit it just fine. (or is it just red leaves?)
    Slice it open and you'll find out quick enough..

    I see the visible eye is clearly blind, which would explain why it didn't notice you. (not uncommon for the young ones to get pink eye and go blind from grass seeds etc)
    Is that blood on ground - thought it foliage colour
    He would have seen the blood if there was blood running out like that ???

    Anyway - its definitely DEAD - and it turned into a Tahr :-)

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Timaru
    Posts
    143
    Na zero blood, I checked very carefully. I ended up leaving it where it was. I was going to cut it open for a look, but couldn't find my knife. Hoping I haven't left it with the deer haha. Hoping its just at the bottom of my pack

  12. #12
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by CamFlatt View Post
    Na zero blood, I checked very carefully. I ended up leaving it where it was. I was going to cut it open for a look, but couldn't find my knife. Hoping I haven't left it with the deer haha. Hoping its just at the bottom of my pack
    You stay out of this discussion - we onto it and will have it all sorted by time you get that pack off your back
    Wearing my boots I hope ??
    Micky Duck likes this.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Timaru
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    You stay out of this discussion - we onto it and will have it all sorted by time you get that pack off your back
    Wearing my boots I hope ??
    Haha good job Of course, second trip with them. Must say I am very impressed!

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    North Canterbury
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    How you see that - I just blew pic up and see 0
    He right about the eye but !!
    I see no blood. The opaque eye suggests MCF or Malignant Catarrhal Fever. Don't know if Tahr are susceptible but sure looks like it.

    If you were using a 270 then a heart attack from being shot at with one in combination with MCF is very likely indeed
    canross likes this.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Timaru
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I see no blood. The opaque eye suggests MCF or Malignant Catarrhal Fever. Don't know if Tahr are susceptible but sure looks like it.

    If you were using a 270 then a heart attack from being shot at with one in combination with MCF is very likely indeed
    A supressed 7mm08

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Chamois help please
    By 338 man in forum Hunting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-12-2015, 11:25 AM
  2. Chamois help
    By dskd in forum Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-03-2015, 08:27 AM
  3. chamois
    By lucas in forum Hunting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-09-2014, 07:23 PM
  4. HELP!!!!!!!! Chamois
    By username in forum Hunting
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 03:15 PM
  5. chamois
    By lucas in forum Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!