Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By keen fella

Thread: Christchurch City Stags

Christchurch City Stags

Well today is the Le Race bike race in Christchurch and I helped a mate out by offering to do water bottle duties at the top of the Port Hills.
    So here I was at 7:40 this morning water bottle in hand and waiting at the summit of the Port Hills thinking what a great morning it would be for the stags to start roaring. Like clock work I heard a not so distant roar, my first thoughts were that it must be from a farmed animal. When the cogs started turning over in my head, I couldn't recall any deer farms near by and the roar came from inside the pine forestry? My exact thoughts were bugger it, lets give it one of my finest so cupped the hands together and let rip from the road edge. Within seconds there was an agressive reply! You beauty! I quickly scanned the roads to make sure that the cyclists weren't approaching and there was nobody else nearby and gave another. Another reply and then low and bloody behold a hind and a yearling stroll out from some scrub below me, meandered to the forestry, jumped the fence and buggered off. This was all within 30mtrs of where I was standing with cars/cyclists/mountain bikers and other weirdo's all out and about. My attention quickly turned from holding a stupid water bottle to giving the stag a wind up so once my mate went past we were off into the forestry for a quick looksey. Now I must point out here how weird it felt to be scrambling through scrub in shorts/t-shirt/running shoes and no gun in hope of sighting a stag. Well our hopes of seeing another animal faded after a short time so headed back to the car. I had always heard that there were deer on the Port Hills but this is my first confirmed sighting. 10 mins in the car and back home to the wife with her giving me a puzzled look and saying why are you so wet and scratched up? "long story hun but the bike race is going well"

Al
    kiwijames likes this.

Wicked

Love it.

good stuff - mate
    down to gunworks for a supperssor on the 7mm then?

Na, bugger that. I will let some other punk go and poach the deer and loose their firearms licence!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Animals in the city are very cool. Shooting them, even if safe to do so would be pretty disappointing.

Come on big fella, you were really wearing spandex weren't you?
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Come on big fella, you were really wearing spandex weren't you?
    Ha ha, not me mate. There is about 120 kg....I mean reasons why I dont look good in the spandex!

Trust us we know! Still having councilling after the whole naked 4wheeler look

Quote Originally Posted by muzr257 View Post
    Trust us we know! Still having councilling after the whole naked 4wheeler look
    I will neither confirm or deny that the person naked on the quad bike may or may not have been me.

I can confirm it for you then.
    The nightmares are disturbing, but are shrinking like a cold "sausage".

The councilling ( ) is having some affects, but Dr Muzr and Dr Carnegie say its early days yet, and that I need more time with a certain 300Rem Ultra Mag to get over the whole situation.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Yep there is deer in them hills,iv seen them, use a good huntn bow,with 1000mtrs of strong fishing nylon tied to your arrow[makes for easy tracking],it works.I met a plasterer on a building site who friends got a farm below a certain gulley on the hills,stags and deer show up around april too spring for a cheap feed he throws over the fence.
    Last edited by Trout; 08-04-2012 at 06:05 PM.

AB Precision
    That would be cool seen them tho not far from home

Like here in grey there are the locals that can be seen 3min from town centre all wild animals can be upto 18 there on a good day

LOCALS,even just 2 ks out of Tekapo towards Fairlie,last 4yrs a stag has been hit by a truck about april each yr,and theres not much cover for them either for 20ks or so.Dont know where they come from.