Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By pope2506
  • 4 Post By The bomb

Thread: Clements mill winter hunt

Clements mill winter hunt

Looking to head in to the mill clearing this Friday for the weekend with a mate( no kids)anyone been in the area lately?have not hunted there much in the winter,usually a spring/summer spot for me due to taking the wife and kids,any tips on hunting this time of the year?would the pine fringes near the mill clearing be worth staking out in the evenings or should I stick with bush bashing?have heard the deer are supposed to be lower down in winter or should I just try and follow the sun up a bit higher?cheers

Just hunt from the road up, they be there high and low

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Spooked a hind about a k from the road a couple weeks ago. its always good In there, I'd just Bush stalk

Been in a couple of times this winter. Seen 3 on the road on the way in. Saw a couple in the bush. I'd be inclined to follow the sun, head up highish and sidle.

Last time I was in there the snow damage high up on the main ridge between the road and hinimaiai was unbelievable,ruined a lot of my good hunting spots!my mate got bushed and had a unexpected night out on the top of the main ridge,what’s the food source this time of year?windfall?no growth on the clearings that I usually stake out in the evenings.sneaky bush stalk looks like the way to go,either that or just drive the road till I see those 3 deer!!

I think they feed on a lot of windfall this time of the year. Head up to 8-900 metres and sidle.

They seem to be in the sunny spots and by small groups or two or three. Not the easiest to stalk but still managed to get one a month ago.

Haven't hunted there much over the last several years but when we hunted the Te Iringa area in winter the sunny head guts were always good , they are suckers for the sun. This time of year they feed on leaf litter and species like broad leaf if they can reach it.

Great,bloody weather looks shit for the weekend!!cant not go tho,been looking forward to this hunt for too long now..

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Looking to head in to the mill clearing this Friday for the weekend with a mate( no kids)anyone been in the area lately?have not hunted there much in the winter,usually a spring/summer spot for me due to taking the wife and kids,any tips on hunting this time of the year?would the pine fringes near the mill clearing be worth staking out in the evenings or should I stick with bush bashing?have heard the deer are supposed to be lower down in winter or should I just try and follow the sun up a bit higher?cheers
    here you go a map showing where the deer maybe and you can read the report at the same time
    https://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/p...g-1080-baiting
    veitnamcam and Rusky like this.

Interesting report.

Weather forecast was bang on,got morning hunt in on Saturday with a bit of sign but nothing seen or spooked by me or my mate,wind was all over the show,started to rain at 3 in the afternoon and hadn’t stopped when we pulled the pin at 9 on Sunday morning.
    Maca49, HNTMAD, Mooseman and 1 others like this.