Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By superdiver
  • 1 Post By superdiver
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Tahr

Thread: CNI/Whanganui day hunt

CNI/Whanganui day hunt

Hey team,

I have promised the wife i will take her to the mountain around the 2nd weekend of August(fri-Sun and possibly thurs).
    As she only wants to go up for a day she has asked if we can go for a hunt.
    Now i have been on the DOC website/google maps and had a bit of a nosey as this area is all new to me.
    Have looked mostly at Erua, and the eastern side of whanganui national park way.
    Will be based in Raetihi but happy to drive a way(within reason). Am going to pull out the usual line of "not looking for secret spots" but a nod in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
    If anyone has access or their own farm and is happy to let me on or show me around i can provide with a portion of the kill/booze or even some seafood(most likely crays and or fish).
    Also if you come up to Auckland i would endeavour to get you to some of the land i have access to up here but that is hardly an incentive (almost all goats on it)

cheers John
    Blisters likes this.

Could always give Dan at blue duck lodge a ring mate

Sweet will google him. Hopefully get a few more bits of info as well. Cheers for your input man

Ring DOC Whakapapa and ask to speak to Malc - biodiversity manager. He will help you.

Cheers Tahr. @Blisters i googled Dan but tbh flag paying $500 for a fallow or $750 for a red. Sounds like a pretty awesome place though.
    Blisters likes this.

Any of the DOC land between Ratihi-National park-Oakune is worth a look for a deer.
    Hauhungatahi is a nice walk with expansive tops above the bush line. There is some good hunting behind Horipito and anywhere off the Mountain road is worth a look too.
    Winter can be a bit hard and whole area is 1080ed so don't expect big numbers, but they are there if you look.
    Blisters likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Any of the DOC land between Ratihi-National park-Oakune is worth a look for a deer.
    Hauhungatahi is a nice walk with expansive tops above the bush line. There is some good hunting behind Horipito and anywhere off the Mountain road is worth a look too.
    Winter can be a bit hard and whole area is 1080ed so don't expect big numbers, but they are there if you look.
    Exactly. Middle Rd gets thumped but is still worth a look. Either of the 2 big clearings are worth sitting on in an evening. Just don't expect wonders.

Middle Rd:
    truman likes this.

cheers everyone for the info! @Tahr did middle road auto correct from Mountain road as i cannot seem to locate middle road?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    cheers everyone for the info! @Tahr did middle road auto correct from Mountain road as i cannot seem to locate middle road?
    thanks
    Middle Rd. I think its the first turn off to the right going south from Horopito.
    Shearer likes this.

Cheers mate. Bloody google maps!