Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By Davecbnz
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY
  • 1 Post By Taticalclevage
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY
  • 2 Post By ebf
  • 2 Post By tanqueray
  • 3 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 5 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By tetawa
  • 1 Post By Scorpo85
  • 2 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By Taticalclevage

Thread: Cobb Valley Information Sought Please

Cobb Valley Information Sought Please

Wifey and I are heading to the Cobb Valley, Tasman region shortly after Easter this year. We will be staying three to four days while she does her thing searching for botanical specimens (see index.html). I’ve read that there are Fallow up the valley, guess the tops hold a few reds, and the country is steep, though reasonably well tracked. Is it a place worth taking a rifle to as it has apparently been ‘treated’ with the green death. PM’s welcome.

Check with doc as they close some of it off for hunting this time of the year, if I remember correctly between Mt aurther and the cobb.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Double check the road has been re opened. A bridge had been washed out and there used to be a warning on the DOC site about it. I have just had a quick look and can't find it on their site. With the road having been closed for a while and restricting access, Deer numbers may have improved. But I understand numbers aren't high in the area.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

The road was re opened just before Xmas. I do believe doc had recently had teams of hunters up that way culling goats, I’m not sure about the deer though
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taticalclevage View Post
    The road was re opened just before Xmas. I do believe doc had recently had teams of hunters up that way culling goats, I’m not sure about the deer though
    Good to know the road is open again, Need to go back up there for a walk with the Family
    A330driver likes this.

ebf
    other option is Graham Valley rd to Flora Hut, you can get across into Cobb from there.
    kokako and Ingrid 51 like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I’ve heard a number of hunters state that the fallow heard in the Cobb is on a knife edge, with many refusing to hunt it till it recovers. I don’t have facts to verify this, just what I’ve heard.
    Tasbay and Ingrid 51 like this.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    I’ve heard a number of hunters state that the fallow heard in the Cobb is on a knife edge, with many refusing to hunt it till it recovers. I don’t have facts to verify this, just what I’ve heard.
    +1 and DOC are scheduled to drop 1080 on 303,601 Hectares of the Kahurangi National Park again this year........at least there should be a small amount of Deer repellent used again......

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    +1 and DOC are scheduled to drop 1080 on 303,601 Hectares of the Kahurangi National Park again this year........at least there should be a small amount of Deer repellent used again......
    At least the SPCA are speaking up about the terrible cruelty of 1080 at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Greg, tikka, Pengy and 2 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

They can't be speaking to loudly. Haven't seen any news items about it. Usually read the online news in the morning and haven't come across any SPCA articles.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    They can't be speaking to loudly. Haven't seen any news items about it. Usually read the online news in the morning and haven't come across any SPCA articles.
    Heard a wee snippet on The Rock yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    It was on "STUFF" but they did their best to rubbish it like what always happens to anything anti "lefty"
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Have hunted up from myttons hut up and over to balloon before. The Fallow hold up around Cundy Creek and the surrounding streams and flats. Have seen 2 dark Fallow spikers in a clearing but past balloon hut but they are the only deer I've seen up the Cobb. 1080 has stuffed the place but they are around. It's a shame because it's a beautiful area, would love it if the numbers were healthy
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

1080 has clearly reduced the fallow numbers to a very low level and hit the Reds as well
    .When i went up there hardly saw any fallow sign at all, did see one huge fallow Buck thou in the bush. Red deer sign was there but was too late as the deer had moved from the area i was in a couple of weeks or so before.
    Goat cullers would have got a deer or two if they saw any so chances are even harder for a fallow. i head up the valley from the main track as Red numbers seem to be more up that way than out to the sides where there was none , but very little fallow sign but nothing else.
    Will head up there again soon to check out the bird life and see just what the 1080 drops damage have done
    Micky Duck and Ingrid 51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Will head up there again soon to check out the bird life and see just what the 1080 drops damage have done
    Don’t do it, it will be depressing as fuck
    deer243 likes this.