Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Collingwood/ Golden Bay hunting

Collingwood/ Golden Bay hunting

Hi there folks
    Heading up to Collingwood in Golden Bay for a week at the start of next year and just wondering if anyone knows of any spots near by to go shoot a goat or pig? My whole family is from the area so if there are any locals on here you probably know them, they are the Brewer’s and the Irons
    Any info would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers
    deer243 likes this.

Most of the front country and foothills of the Kahurangi NP holds goats,pigs and a few deer. Lower animal numbers in areas of sour pakihi soil, higher numbers in the sweeter marble/limestone country.

In the middle of summer you might like to walk up a creekbed into the NP and enjoy the shade while hunting the little terraces and slips. DoC land comes right down to the roads in some parts of the Aorere Valley and the slopes of Parapara Peak. Plenty of gullies to explore up on the Aorere Goldfields too, but the tracks will be busy with mountainbikers, walkers, gold miners and gardeners at that time of year.

You could drive out to Westhaven Inlet, park on the roadside and walk straight into the scrub... you'll be onto animal sign in no time. Big areas of warm sunny native & regen, miles of overgrown logging roads and not much hunting pressure. Some large privately-owned bush blocks out there too, so be sure to check where the boundaries are.

The hunting on DoC land is going to be at typical bush ranges with little opportunity for long shots so your bush rifle will be more suitable than your .300 Win Mag.
    PM me when you get to Collingwood, I may be able to suggest something else. Also your rellies might know of a local farmer who needs help with goat control.

I know a Dr Brewer caver of Riwaka/Motueka, spent 48 hours underground with little sleep as part of the rescue crew when he got hit by a boulder shattering his pelvis. Might not be the same family though.
    Southern-Hunter likes this.

Yes, know the family's well. Both family's are friends of mine, though I guess I'm a generation older than you. Pigs were never in the valley in my day but are now.
    PM me if you like although Kyle and Rachel should know who to talk to for access and places worth looking at

My uncle farmed in Bainham but they've all moved on. They shot a lot of deer up the Aorere River valley where he had a run-off. Loved spending time over there in school holidays though it often involved humping hay bales about..

Thanks very much for the info mate. Like you say trying to get away from the bush Christmas traffic will be the hardest part

Quote Originally Posted by r87mm View Post
    Yes, know the family's well. Both family's are friends of mine, though I guess I'm a generation older than you. Pigs were never in the valley in my day but are now.
    PM me if you like although Kyle and Rachel should know who to talk to for access and places worth looking at
    Hard case! Haha
    Yea Mum and Dad aren’t really too sure about who owns where now up there as they haven’t lived in the area for roughly 26 years and mums parents (Shirley and Ernest) are no longer alive and Dads parents (Pam and Wayne) have been down here in Christchurch for probably the last 12+ years so pretty much starting back at square one.
    Any chance you’re able to send me a pm? I’m unable to find the option to send you a message
    Cheers
    Liam

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    My uncle farmed in Bainham but they've all moved on. They shot a lot of deer up the Aorere River valley where he had a run-off. Loved spending time over there in school holidays though it often involved humping hay bales about..
    It’s a wicked place that’s for sure. My Grandparents lived just down from the Rockville museum so spent my first 14 years going up there and having a bloody good time

That Bainham store was an absolute treasure. We just ---loved--- going in there. In the early days, there were gold pans hanging from the ceiling, all sorts of interesting stuff. Lorna Langford only died (I'm guessing) maybe five years ago, she was a legend. They even had two TV items on her and the store.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    That Bainham store was an absolute treasure. We just ---loved--- going in there. In the early days, there were gold pans hanging from the ceiling, all sorts of interesting stuff. Lorna Langford only died (I'm guessing) maybe five years ago, she was a legend. They even had two TV items on her and the store.
    Yea was a very unique place. We would always call in and see her and get an ice cream before heading to the Salisbury Falls for a swim

Usually run into a few goats on the Knuckle Hill track
    Strummer and Southern-Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Hunter View Post
    Yea was a very unique place. We would always call in and see her and get an ice cream before heading to the Salisbury Falls for a swim
    Bainham store is still going, run by Lorna's grand-daughter (?) Sukhita and her partner Will. Hasn't changed much, heaps of interesting old stuff to look at while you get ice cream or coffee.
    Salisbury Falls very popular for swimming and gold fossicking. Sadly the old swingbridge was swept away in a flood.
    veitnamcam and 6x47 like this.

The speed that Aorere could come up was astounding. My uncle was hyper-vigilant whenever we crossed the river to the run-off. He'd always be looking to the hills for any sign of rain because it could catch you out easily, even on the big tractor. My cousins took us swimming once near the bridge and there was a hole god knows how deep. Way deeper than any other river I'd seen near Nelson although the Pelorus had a few deepish holes and was far safer for swimming.

Great to hear the old store is still going. Might make a pilgrimage next time I'm down in Nelson.

I hunted up Collingwood way,found the chocolate house.Very nice place if you got a sweet tooth.yum.

Alas, if the chocolate house you found was Rosy Glow, it has now closed. But for those of you with a sweet tooth a new chocolate maker has opened in the main street of Takaka.
    Trout and 6x47 like this.