Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Countdown to the roar

Countdown to the roar

Plans of grandeur are been made over Flat Whites some days and Yum Char on others in expectation of what lays ahead.

28th March we are heading into the Ureweras for a week

Are we too early? Only one way to find out
    Is it too dry?
    Are the deer going to be a bit lean from lack of spring growth?
    Will they be roaring their nuts off or be a bit quiet as they were 2 years ago after a long dry spell?

Will let you know the answers to our questions when the job is done

Who else is going where?
    Scouser likes this.

To early mate, you might hear the odd grumble but thats all and yes, a good lot of rain would help
    sako75 and Yukon like this.

All the deer I am seeing are super fat and healthy, shouldn't be any issues with hinds coming in season on time, yes the dry heat could be an issue as to how aggressive and vocal the stags will be if this weather continues into late March - April.
    sako75 likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

2 X 4 day weekends booked, one hunting red skins, the other seeking Sika........
    sako75 and gadgetman like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

K95
    Can we not just yet...please. Stuck at work this year...
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Haha I havnt even thought about the roar. Im guessing the kaimanawas is like downtown tokyo over the roar?

Saw a fat as stag two weeks ago in the bush. It had a good rack as well, managed to get away but hes on my roar list. Will be out from march 14th, first stag i heard last year was march 17th. Got the weekends, easter and 8 days of during the week spread out from march and april to hunt. Two best stags i got last year the heads on my profile picture. Thats the mark i like to beat.....maybe even a 12
    Scouser and MAC like this.

Just weekend day hunts for me to the more desired spots and a few midweek school hour hunts locally, can't wait. Get my sika trip gone first
    deer243 likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Chop3r View Post
    To early mate, you might hear the odd grumble but thats all and yes, a good lot of rain would help
    Yeah nah

Taking the first short week leading into Easter as opposed to the 2nd week when the hills will be alive with hunters.
    Should be a bit of roaring in the last few days of March. If not we will take the party to them
    Picking they will be at the 800m level or lower near water

And that is why I only go in during the week - every man and his dog in on weekends
    sako75 likes this.

From mid march stags will be becoming active. They may not roar back to you, but chances are they will come sniffing around. My roar starts on the 16th March---in wap country.

Been doing a bit of poking about lately, seen a few deer. Finding plenty of stag damaged bushes and trees, but stags are proving elusive. Next weekend is my first "proper" roar hunt, 6 days in the hills.
    sako75, Gibo and madmaori like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    From mid march stags will be becoming active. They may not roar back to you, but chances are they will come sniffing around. My roar starts on the 16th March---in wap country.

Been doing a bit of poking about lately, seen a few deer. Finding plenty of stag damaged bushes and trees, but stags are proving elusive. Next weekend is my first "proper" roar hunt, 6 days in the hills.
    Give it snot bro and I have no doubt you will get onto something

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    2 X 4 day weekends booked, one hunting red skins, the other seeking Sika........
    Dude, If that mate of yours... even look like pulling the pin give me a yell - As long as its not the 14th or 23rd of April I'd be up for it.
    Wife and Dogs Birthday 14th (yes - how did I manage that, I'll never know- Yes and Gibbo, they are different), the Breed Dog show I'm helping run on the 24th. Those are my only can't work around or get out of jail for's

'Tis the season for the brownie points to go into overdraft...me thinks!!! Time to talk to the Bank Manager...
    Gibo likes this.

I would never say anything bad about your dog mate
    Carpe Diem likes this.

We were in south of the lake last year from the 18th (I think). "Apparently" they had been "going off" the week or two before we got there (hate that) , so you might be spot on for your timing? We still got a 10 and an 7, but very little roaring action by the time we got there.

My 10 had been severely savaged by some other stag - big holes poked in his shoulders, and was no longer in possession of his harem.